Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 09:30 AM

14 posts, read 11,938 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm brand new and joined on the advice of a friend.
I currently reside in Astoria in an apartment I've occupied for 15 years. Unfortunately, it's a private home, not rent stabilized, so my landlord is raising my rent.

I'm on Social Security Disabilty and receive SEPS, a new program in NYC that helps low income NYers pay their rent. (SEPS)

I've signed up for every singe housing lottery and have had a few interviews but have been waitlisted on all of them.

I'm currently in search of a studio apartment anywhere in the 5 boroughs. My budget is $1200 (firm). I know that budget is tight and will most likely be in the Bronx but I'm not choosy.

The rental assistance from the SEPS program is much easier for landlords than Sec. 8. The only requirements of the program for landlords is that heat and hot water are included in the rent, a lease be issued and the apartment be legal.

I've been looking for 6 months for an apartment and am at a loss. Has anyone had experience with SEPSs apartment hunting?

Basically I'm out of ideas on how to find an apartment. As I said, I've signed up for housing lotteries and applied to Mitchell-Lama and public housing.I'm also looking for a realtor who will work with me even though I have SEPS. A lot of realtors have turned me away. I've placed ads on Craigslist and searched Zillow and RentHop from top to bottom.

Does anyone have ideas, suggestions, experiences to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 10:15 AM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Is there a community center near you where there might be a social worker who could hook you up with some resources? Or you can try calling 311 and asking how to find an apt that will accept the program, especially since it's new.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:26 PM

I have an open case with Human Resources Administration. (HRA) and an assigned social worker who's been useless in helping me.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:38 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,113 times
I hope you find something!

Old 07-09-2017, 04:43 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times
By the way, you can find a studio in parts of Brooklyn (and probably Queens) for $1200 as well.

Isn't it illegal for a landlord to refuse to take certain programs?
I thought it was illegal for landlords to discriminate based on how a tenant is paying the rent.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
By the way, you can find a studio in parts of Brooklyn (and probably Queens) for $1200 as well.

I thought it was illegal for landlords to discriminate based on how a tenant is paying the rent.
I'm not sure. I've never investgated that. Most of my life I've rented legal and illegal basements. Living in an apartment building is new to me.
I'll ask my Legal Aide lawyer.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishfromNYC View Post
I'm not sure. I've never investgated that. Most of my life I've rented legal and illegal basements. Living in an apartment building is new to me.
I'll ask my Legal Aide lawyer.
Definitely ask your lawyer.
I think it's illegal for a landlord to "not take a program."

Old 07-09-2017, 07:26 PM

983 posts, read 931,862 times
Quote:
Definitely ask your lawyer.
I think it's illegal for a landlord to "not take a program."
It is illegal, but most landlords do it anyway and nobody can stop them.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:36 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:

It's definitely illegal. Of course that doesn't stop landlords from doing it. But tenants can sue the landlord if they reject them solely because their income is from a program.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's definitely illegal. Of course that doesn't stop landlords from doing it. But tenants can sue the landlord if they reject them solely because their income is from a program.
Since the OP has a lawyer, she is in a good position to sue or threaten to sue if a landlord won't accept her program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City