Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 07:52 PM

21 posts, read 10,618 times

Advertisements

if you scroll up and read again on my reply i said "i didnt know he wasnt on the rent until recently" and you asked me again after that reply so its not my fault if you cant read and you have a bad attitude from the beginning! you are rude and condescending and what makes you better than a young student who had to move out bc of abusive situation at home and had to make the best of my situation by paying the rent so i dont become homeless? lots of people sublease and sublet in this city where not everyone can afford the high rent and dont know anyone when they move to a new city! if youre so much better why are here trolling 17 year old who is trying their best you are so miserable you probably live with your grandma

Old 07-08-2017, 08:02 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polandspring View Post
if you scroll up and read again on my reply i said "i didnt know he wasnt on the rent until recently" and you asked me again after that reply so its not my fault if you cant read and you have a bad attitude from the beginning! you are rude and condescending and what makes you better than a young student who had to move out bc of abusive situation at home and had to make the best of my situation by paying the rent so i dont become homeless? lots of people sublease and sublet in this city where not everyone can afford the high rent and dont know anyone when they move to a new city! if youre so much better why are here trolling 17 year old who is trying their best you are so miserable you probably live with your grandma
I read the whole thing. How about you explain yourself clearly next time and maybe you could receive some help? Either way, what's been stated is what you should do. It's that simple. Call 311, and they'll give you some numbers to call for housing. There's nothing any of us can do, and since you have a problem with the advice we're giving you, why bother to ask us? You made a mistake subleasing and got burned. Might as well accept that and learn from it instead of attacking people trying to help you, but what do I know? I have my own place with my own lease, so your little dig is cute but doesn't affect me in the slightest. You're the one in the bind. I would try to work out something with your "landlord" or be prepared to go to court.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 07-08-2017 at 08:49 PM..

Old 07-08-2017, 08:10 PM

21 posts, read 10,618 times
then you shouldve just said call 311 since theres nothing you can do to help instead of being condesceding and saying things like i bet you learned your lesson now? someone was able to give me that advice without being rude and offensive so who is the loser? maybe you gave a lease now nothing lasts forever lol mr high horse

Old 07-08-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
then you shouldve just said call 311 since theres nothing you can do to help instead of being condesceding and saying things like i bet you learned your lesson now? someone was able to give me that advice without being rude and offensive so who is the loser? maybe you gave a lease now nothing lasts forever lol mr high horse
Am here to tell you subleasing is risky. Next time do your homework so you won't have to come here and receive *condescending remarks*.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:23 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
hello,

i need some advice on my rental situation... i live in a apartment that the ''landlord'' rents out which is a rent stabilized rental building and he just profits from collecting rent and doesn't even pay the actual rent or live in the apt. he is not even on the rental contract. its like a double sublease situation... i cant afford to move out atm even if i wanted to and i feel its not fair for people like this to profit while i and ppl like me can barely manage to survive on min wage, paying school, bills etc. what can i do about this situation pls help
If you've been in the apartment for 30 days or more and can prove it, then you can keep staying there until an eviction is served against you. You might not want to let it to the point that the landlord or whoever moves to evict you because having an eviction on your record makes it extremely hard to rent anywhere else in the city ever again.

On the other hand, the LL may not want to proceed with eviction since most likely what he is doing is illegal and he wouldn't want a judge to hear about it. You could also be entitled to triple damages if there is an illegal overcharge.

So I guess you can either stay for a while under less than ideal circumstances and take your chances to see if an eviction is served against you, or you can move out and live somewhere where the LL is not illegally profiting from you.

One place you might try for advice is Metropolitan council on housing hotline, although I'm not sure how hard it is to get through.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you've been in the apartment for 30 days or more and can prove it, then you can keep staying there until an eviction is served against you. You might not want to let it to the point that the landlord or whoever moves to evict you because having an eviction on your record makes it extremely hard to rent anywhere else in the city ever again.

On the other hand, the LL may not want to proceed with eviction since most likely what he is doing is illegal and he wouldn't want a judge to hear about it. You could also be entitled to triple damages if there is an illegal overcharge.

So I guess you can either stay for a while under less than ideal circumstances and take your chances to see if an eviction is served against you, or you can move out and live somewhere where the LL is not illegally profiting from you.

One place you might try for advice is Metropolitan council on housing hotline, although I'm not sure how hard it is to get through.
Am in agreement. OP may risk getting themselves onto a tenant blacklist if evicted by the judge and if blacklisted, can be *VERY* difficult to find an apartment elsewhere. Was why I said either pay the rent or move because it'll be a potential headache either way.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:36 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Forget 311. Talk to a lawyer that specializes in NYC landlord / tenant issues. If you play this right, you could end up as the prime tenant on a rent stabilized lease. Explain your situation to the lawyer, and ask if this would be actionable as an illusory tenancy situation.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Forget 311. Talk to a lawyer that specializes in NYC landlord / tenant issues. If you play this right, you could end up as the prime tenant on a rent stabilized lease. Explain your situation to the lawyer, and ask if this would be actionable as an illusory tenancy situation.
Uhhh OP doesn't have money for a lawyer, so they need 311 at a minimum to find out how to get one for free, since the City provides such services.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:45 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Find a new apartment. If you say anything, you'll probably just get evicted anyway.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:51 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
hello,

i need some advice on my rental situation... i live in a apartment that the ''landlord'' rents out which is a rent stabilized rental building and he just profits from collecting rent and doesn't even pay the actual rent or live in the apt. he is not even on the rental contract. its like a double sublease situation... i cant afford to move out atm even if i wanted to and i feel its not fair for people like this to profit while i and ppl like me can barely manage to survive on min wage, paying school, bills etc. what can i do about this situation pls help
You're 17? Are you even on the contract?

FYI- in the adult world no one cares about others' school & bills. The real landlord wont either...

Life isn't fair. The sooner you learn this the better. Start saving to move because one way or the other you'll have to be out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: