Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 07:53 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
What an ignorant statement. You really don't understand NYC, or American history.

There have always been several upper class buildings that did not allow Jews. (and plenty of suburbs as well).
Particularly on the Upper East Side, in the upper crust areas.
That's why the Upper West Side became so much more Jewish than the Upper East Side.

For sure it's less common today, but am I surprised that there are still a few snooty buildings on the Upper East Side that try to restrict Jews moving on? No.

(and no, Jews do NOT "control" NYC real estate. Stereotype much?)
Am in agreement (partially). The Jews have historically been shut out of certain areas. This is less of an issue these days but still exists. Am also here to tell you that Jews on the Upper East Side are *not* an anomaly. They may not be in certain buildings in high numbers but there are plenty of them in the neighborhood overall. Sometimes wonder if I'm in Riverdale on Saturdays seeing so many Jews during Shabbat or whatever. Can also tell you there are a large number of Jewish landlords in NY, so am not sure why you're so offended by that comment. It's a good business to be in. Jews *DO* play a large role in NY real estate and have now for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Anti-Semitic much? Or irrational much?
Am thinking it's neither. Bronxguyanese is partially correct. Shoshanarose is just oversensitive.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:56 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
There are attack dogs on this forum, not all regular posters in this section, who appear when a certain group is mentioned.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:25 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
Both Republican and Democratic candidates were horrible and poor Hillary was just inept. Both she and Bernie were inept.
They were inept. Hillary was a very establishment politician and also failed on certain issues. Trump was also inept, with an unstable personality and basically no history in politics.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:11 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Oh and it's not like all yuppies are progressive, Pierrepont is a hardcore yuppie and he's a Trump supporter

Old 07-14-2017, 09:14 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
You have lots of white people who move to Upper Manhattan, Busheick, Bedstuy, Jackson Heights, Astoria, Dunset Park, and a host of other neighborhoods with many immigrants and/or Black people. Why does this get forgotten? The people pointing their fingers at white progressives for ej get racists have three pointed back at themselves.
It's okay. When they try to move to other neighborhoods, people complain about that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
We all know who I'm referring too.

I'll start with a few examples for ****s and giggles.

-"Progressive" but live in all white neighborhoods.

-"Progressive" but threaten WW3 if their schools are slated for rezoning/ integration.

-"Progressive" but most of their friends are white but hey, they have a black/Hispanic friend who just so happens to serve them coffee every morning.
I had a black education professor who was all about progressive education...

...and managed to get his daughter into the best public school in Park Slope, not the neighborhood he lived in, wouldn't you know.

It doesn't matter the race---if a parent gives a crap about the education of their children, they'll do whatever they can to get them to the better school. Guarantee he'd put up a fight as well even if they wanted to rezone the school he sent his daughter too.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:18 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Honestly everyone is affected by political trends. Trump is the President, and he may get reelected. I've noticed a big quieting down among the social justice crowd.
It's because of outrage exhaust, it doesnt mean Trump is any more popular.

Trump does so many dumb things that it's just business as usual. But if he does something severe such as the travel ban, there will be a lot of noise from the left.

If Trumpcare passes, believe me that the left will not be quiet.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:01 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
What an ignorant statement. You really don't understand NYC, or American history.

There have always been several upper class buildings that did not allow Jews. (and plenty of suburbs as well).
Particularly on the Upper East Side, in the upper crust areas.
That's why the Upper West Side became so much more Jewish than the Upper East Side.

For sure it's less common today, but am I surprised that there are still a few snooty buildings on the Upper East Side that try to restrict Jews moving on? No.

(and no, Jews do NOT "control" NYC real estate. Stereotype much?)
To be honest, you are right. I did say a stereotype. And Stereotypes can be a bit offensive. We all have learned that due to what Jay Z said about your peoples in his latest album. Stereotypes can be misleading, but none of the less, it is mostly true. Again I'm sorry. However, instead of using control, I tend to use the moniker "Influence". And Jews do wield plenty of influence in NYC real estate. My Previous boss who is Jewish even said that NYS and NYC real estate laws are designed for Jews only. But overall, I highly doubt such buildings bar Jews from owning a co-op, especially since plenty of the wealthy comprises of Jews in NYC, which therefore have the money to buy into properties, same for any other race or ethnic group. ADL would have a field day with the Co-op board and management company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am in agreement (partially). The Jews have historically been shut out of certain areas. This is less of an issue these days but still exists. Am also here to tell you that Jews on the Upper East Side are *not* an anomaly. They may not be in certain buildings in high numbers but there are plenty of them in the neighborhood overall. Sometimes wonder if I'm in Riverdale on Saturdays seeing so many Jews during Shabbat or whatever. Can also tell you there are a large number of Jewish landlords in NY, so am not sure why you're so offended by that comment. It's a good business to be in. Jews *DO* play a large role in NY real estate and have now for years.

Am thinking it's neither. Bronxguyanese is partially correct. Shoshanarose is just oversensitive.
Thanks Pierrepont. People don't know that Jews wield plenty of influence in many industries throughout NYC and this nation. Folks cant be upset, Jews work, work hard, believe in family and education, save money and spend within their own community. Thus getting a job in high places, or a profession of esteem like doctor or lawyer.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:06 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
To be honest, you are right. I did say a stereotype. And Stereotypes can be a bit offensive. We all have learned that due to what Jay Z said about your peoples in his latest album. Stereotypes can be misleading, but none of the less, it is mostly true. Again I'm sorry. However, instead of using control, I tend to use the moniker "Influence". And Jews do wield plenty of influence in NYC real estate. My Previous boss who is Jewish even said that NYS and NYC real estate laws are designed for Jews only. But overall, I highly doubt such buildings bar Jews from owning a co-op, especially since plenty of the wealthy comprises of Jews in NYC, which therefore have the money to buy into properties, same for any other race or ethnic group. ADL would have a field day with the Co-op board and management company.

Thanks Pierrepont. People don't know that Jews wield plenty of influence in many industries throughout NYC and this nation. Folks cant be upset, Jews work, work hard, believe in family and education, save money and spend within their own community. Thus getting a job in high places, or a profession of esteem like doctor or lawyer.
Have had several *several* landlords during my time in the States, and they've always been Jewish. Perhaps because I've lived in Jewish neighborhoods off and on, but part of it is they believe in investing and getting huge returns on their investments, and what better way than real estate?

Old 07-14-2017, 01:46 PM

329 posts, read 299,409 times
What is SJW?

Old 07-14-2017, 01:50 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyberrios View Post
What is SJW?
Social justice warriors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City