Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2017, 05:26 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBull View Post
Dude, you make an over-generalization and you think it offends me? I've heard that my people are "red", "primitive", and "head scalpers". Yet I know not one First Nation person who has red skin , who is "primitive", and chops off the headpieces of other people.

You should be offended that you think this way...in 2017...with bounds of information at your fingertips. So should I take a page from your book and say that all whites are liars because every promise they have given to my tribe and others have been broken? Of course not. I can't argue with ignorance. Neither could Voltaire -

There are many kinds of ignorance; but the worst of all is that of critics, who, it is well known, are doubly bound to possess information and judgment as persons who undertake to affirm and to censure. When they pronounce erroneously, therefore, they are doubly culpable.
Apologies again, but I am a statistician. I understand statistics are offensive, but its also an applied science. Rather than being so thinned skin, we should continue towards being real "progressives" and look to continue reverting the lower values to the mean.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:38 PM

224 posts, read 134,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Apologies again, but I am a statistician. I understand statistics are offensive, but its also an applied science. Rather than being so thinned skin, we should continue towards being real "progressives" and look to continue reverting the lower values to the mean.
You're a statistician making overgeneralizations? That's terrible. Statistics are not offensive...statistics are math. But like anything else, statistics are deeply biased. Perhaps you're right...perhaps there is some element of thin-skinned. But walk through the ivory streets of America in my shoes and it's not difficult to notice inherent bias.

I'm all for progress friend. But over-generalizations, stereotypes, or however you frame your position is not only fantasy but fallacy as well. And for the record, there is no statistical database in existence that has tracked and can prove that all white neighborhoods are safer than all black neighborhoods. If you know of one, feel free to share so I can examine it. Besides, the overgeneralization fails to include the systematic racism that has and continues to destroy black neighborhoods - i.e., drugs and guns that are not manufactured in black neighborhoods but somehow find their way to said neighborhoods in disproportionate numbers. To ignore such realities is to introduce and promote bias in your assessment of crime.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBull View Post
You're a statistician making overgeneralizations? That's terrible. Statistics are not offensive...statistics are math. But like anything else, statistics are deeply biased. Perhaps you're right...perhaps there is some element of thin-skinned. But walk through the ivory streets of America in my shoes and it's not difficult to notice inherent bias.

I'm all for progress friend. But over-generalizations, stereotypes, or however you frame your position is not only fantasy but fallacy as well. And for the record, there is no statistical database in existence that has tracked and can prove that all white neighborhoods are safer than all black neighborhoods. If you know of one, feel free to share so I can examine it. Besides, the overgeneralization fails to include the systematic racism that has and continues to destroy black neighborhoods - i.e., drugs and guns that are not manufactured in black neighborhoods but somehow find their way to said neighborhoods in disproportionate numbers. To ignore such realities is to introduce and promote bias in your assessment of crime.
Putting all your sensitivities behind you, what black neighborhood has a lower crime rate per its populace than a white neighborhood? Even use a black neighborhood that has a higher median income than the comparing white neighborhood.

Statistics are not math. Like engineering and physics, it relies heavily on mathmatical techniques.

Regarding systemic racism, reparations should have definitely been paid out long ago through a legal settlement of some sort. Definitely not by means of welfare programs. White man just uses that to control everything. Cash is king.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:02 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Must be NRA members bringing those guns in. It's obviously not the residents as they are peaceful. Definitely white, country NRA members

Old 07-18-2017, 06:06 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Putting all your sensitivities behind you, what black neighborhood has a lower crime rate per its populace than a white neighborhood? Even use a black neighborhood that has a higher median income than the comparing white neighborhood.

Statistics are not math. Like engineering and physics, it relies heavily on mathmatical techniques.

Regarding systemic racism, reparations should have definitely been paid out long ago through a legal settlement of some sort. Definitely not by means of welfare programs. White man just uses that to control everything. Cash is king.
I agree that reparations should have been paid, and should still be paid.
America has not taken responsibility for its history (unlike a country like Germany, for example, which did and still does pay reparations).
I also have mixed feelings about some/many of the welfare programs, although this has nothing to do with race or racism: it should be noted that most welfare recipients are white.

Again, there are plenty of black neighborhoods that have lower crime rates than white neighborhoods.
Rosedale, Laurelton, St. Albans, Flatlands, most of Canarsie have a lower crime rate than many white neighborhoods.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:09 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I agree that reparations should have been paid, and should still be paid.
America has not taken responsibility for its history (unlike a country like Germany, for example, which did and still does pay reparations).
I also have mixed feelings about some/many of the welfare programs, although this has nothing to do with race or racism: it should be noted that most welfare recipients are white.

Again, there are plenty of black neighborhoods that have lower crime rates than white neighborhoods.
Rosedale, Laurelton, St. Albans, Flatlands, most of Canarsie have a lower crime rate than many white neighborhoods.
Plenty? In NYC? Am here to tell you four or five areas isn't *plenty*. If we listed all of the white areas vs the black ones, with low crime, would be a landslide. If Canarsie was so *safe*, wouldn't have experienced white flight.

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:

On a national or global basis, of course there are Black neighborhoods that are safer than white neighborhoods. At times parts of Eastern Europe in the past 30 years have been extremely war torn and have had mortality rates higher than anything in the United States, even in the hood.

Reparations were paid out. Just not to former slaves. They were paid to the slave owners. Not just English colonies, but the French forced Haiti to pay them 150 million dollars for depriving the French of Haiti's slave labor force. In short, white people got the reparations.

High numbers of people who were arrested and incarcerated where not at all violent criminals, many did time simply for drug possession. So in short, people are arrested for doing what they can to make a living (beyond working in McDonalds) and they are locked up for that. It's a way of persecuting people. Of course now that the opiod epidemic is so big outside of "inner" cities and in predominately white people, now the political system has a different tone on substance abuse.

Regarding gun ownership stats, there are so many more guns in white neighborhoods than black neighborhoods. That is going off of licensing. Maybe encourage more legal gun ownership to black neighborhoods. If you remove the factory manufacturing of guns, people will simply make them at home.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:10 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Must be NRA members bringing those guns in. It's obviously not the residents as they are peaceful. Definitely white, country NRA members

Old 07-18-2017, 06:11 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Plenty? In NYC? Am here to tell you four or five areas isn't *plenty*. If we listed all of the white areas vs the black ones, with low crime, would be a landslide.
However they exist. The neighborhoods she mentioned are mostly single family homes, and places where one has to drive a car too. So these neighborhoods are of course safe and full of middle class Black families.

People like Robert Moses, in his slum clearance, merely pushed Black and Puerto Ricans into the housing projects and that created all kinds of social pathologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City