Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 11:02 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
That's very ignorant. Immigrants are some of the hardest working people we have in this country, doing jobs that native-born Americans don't care to do. Who is picking your food by the way?

The English-only emphasis is very misguided too. Bilingualism is a great advantage, for work, for our brains, and to enrich our lives in general.
Yes, bilingualism gives a great advantage. Particularly for when people have to do academic work. And of course for certain jobs it helps to have bilingual skills, plus one who speaks other languages can also find work around the world.

People with good educations, including Americans with good educations, aren't limited to working in the US. They can go anywhere they want to go, if they think they have a better opportunity.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:05 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Please elaborate. Favorite target or that they experience less discrimination than African Americans? Both are probably true.
I don't think European immigrants are favorite targets. Muslim immigrants may face more discrimination than African Americans, plus you have Black immigrants from other countries. It's really hard to generalize about immigrants as they come here from a variety of different countries, cultures, and socioeconomic conditions.

Nigerian immigrants to the US, probably face different conditions than Haitian immigrants (Nigerians who come here tend to be more educated and wealthier than the Haitians).

Old 07-13-2017, 11:09 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Can look at your previous comment as an example. Here you are praising the immigrant community even though they may not speak English and grouping all of them as hard workers and overlooking other minority groups. Are you saying those groups don't work hard as well? Am tired of hearing such things. Americans work more hours than any other country. Those of us that work *ALL* work hard.
That is what you are reading into my comment, it's not what I said.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:12 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
That is what you are reading into my comment, it's not what I said.
Of course and since you're not saying otherwise, am thinking that's how you feel or whatever without saying such.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:14 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don't think European immigrants are favorite targets. Muslim immigrants may face more discrimination than African Americans, plus you have Black immigrants from other countries. It's really hard to generalize about immigrants as they come here from a variety of different countries, cultures, and socioeconomic conditions.

Nigerian immigrants to the US, probably face different conditions than Haitian immigrants (Nigerians who come here tend to be more educated and wealthier than the Haitians).
Nigerians are smart. The fill the coffers of Americas best educational institutions such as Harvard, Yale, and Stanford.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:15 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Nigerians are smart. The fill the coffers of Americas best educational institutions such as Harvard, Yale, and Stanford.
*LOL* @ coffers.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
I'd like to see more opportunity go back to native born Americans especially white and black men. These two groups represent our best workers and most fluent English speakers. Speaking perfect English should be recognized as a great commodity here at home.

Black men have made enormous progress in the past couple decades but it is clearly still an oppressed group. Many black men are damaged by the system (of segregation) but some make it through okay, and the black men who make it through and are professionals are some of our greatest people in NYC. Some of our strongest modern voices of the USA were people like Malcolm X and Dr. King Junior. Regardless of whatever criticisms people hold for those two guys they were some of our strongest.

White men are right up there too. White men are great for this country. People like president John F Kennedy were shining examples of what made America great. I am just not seeing the same contributions from any other ethnicity. Other ethnic groups seem to just be here for free loading and not really supporting the American ideologies that make up the cores and strengths of the freedoms we have today. Sorry but from what I see, other ethnic communities seem like mooches.

I have been to dozens of different countries and I would only want to live in the USA because we still have more freedoms then anywhere else that I have found.
Pierrepont - I was pushing back on the bolded statement. If you agree with it and wish to defend it, be my guest. I wasn't saying that everyone who is an immigrant is a hard worker, or that Americans are lazy. But, yes a lot of the most difficult and dangerous jobs here are done by immigrants, who are nevertheless characterized by too many people as moochers.

Last edited by yodel; 07-13-2017 at 12:02 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Of course and since you're not saying otherwise, am thinking that's how you feel or whatever without saying such.
I can't keep up the same posting pace as you do. You can believe what you want.

As I said, my post was a reaction to a generalization that non native born Americans are generally moochers. I didn't hear you say otherwise so does that mean that you agree?

Last edited by yodel; 07-13-2017 at 12:04 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 04:28 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
What's nice is the variety of dumplings in this city and the wide variety, forms, and fillings. The only thing I'm not so keen on are the dumplings that are simply just balls of dough. They aren't bad, but when I order dumplings, I expect filling. It feels like a misnomer even if it's technically not. I'm curious though--do people on this forum consider empanadas and patties to be dumplings? How about calzones or bureks?

Old 07-13-2017, 06:12 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
We all know who I'm referring too.

I'll start with a few examples for ****s and giggles.

-"Progressive" but live in all white neighborhoods.

-"Progressive" but threaten WW3 if their schools are slated for rezoning/ integration.

-"Progressive" but most of their friends are white but hey, they have a black/Hispanic friend who just so happens to serve them coffee every morning.
What happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City