Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 06:53 PM

19 posts, read 15,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Woodside, Flushing, Auburndale, Bayside, are all along the Pt. Washington line and all are about 1/2 hour to Penn Station, from where you can get to anything in "the city."
I will check all these neighborhoods out. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 06:56 PM

19 posts, read 15,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Agreed! The OP should look along the LIRR route to Port Washington. I am not sure if Woodside is the only Queens station along the Port Washington LIRR line. Sunnyside which is next to Woodside would probably be another option. Perhaps also anything along the 7 subway line would make for an easy connection to the LIRR Woodside station to Port Washington.
It looks like Woodside is a winner. Is Astoria too far from LIRR to make it workable for daily commute?

Old 07-13-2017, 07:07 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSweeper View Post
It looks like Woodside is a winner. Is Astoria too far from LIRR to make it workable for daily commute?
Yes. And this being NYC we're talking about, too far means unworkable. It mightn't be very far as the crow flies, but nothing there works like that. Astoria is rather large and has subways through it, but none go toward Woodside. Likewise, there are busses, but during rush hour the only place you want to be going on a bus is to the subway. Some parts of Astoria are not well-served by either bus or subway, either, so you can see the problem. $1900 is not a lot for better parts of Astoria because of its close proximity to Manhattan (which they're turning into sh*t, so you really want to be going to Brooklyn for anything like character). Brooklyn, in case you're going to ask, is too far from Astoria. You can get there, especially on weekends when you have more time, but it won't be direct.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:12 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Just a suggestion from an ex LIer. You sure you want to do that? It can of course be done but it leads to some miserable conditions.

I suggest you try living within a bike ride of work...and after settling in decide if you really want to move from Port Washington area to way out Queens.

I was born in Manhattan, graduated High School in mid Nassau and lived a couple of years in outer Queens and in the upper Bronx. I can't imagine a set of circumstances that would get me to live in Woodside and commute to Port Washington. Now upper east side of Manhattan. Well yeah. But outer Queens? Only for a job.

If you got the hots for NYC you will do better with a place convenient to the LIRR and visit when you feel the urge.

Last edited by lvmensch; 07-13-2017 at 07:48 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 07:17 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,408 times
Quote:
I can go up to $1900 for rent, but I really do not want to spend that much. I am fine with roommates, and I do not need a lot of space. I only have one room worth of stuff and no furniture. I do want to have an easy access to subway, LIRR, and proximity to the city, and I want to have my own bedroom.

Regarding Astoria to Port Washington commute time, I just plugged in the addresses to Apple maps. It was 30 minutes to drive from Astoria, Queens to Port Washington. I know that it is probably very rough estimate and might be wrong. Is there a better commute time estimator?

Thanks!
There is really no way to get exact & even rough estimate drive times. As you can not predict what will happen with traffic in advance really. Something just about always happens to snarl traffic here. Depends alot on time of day you commute. As well as if there are any construction projects active during those times. And I don't think I have to tell you this. But there are always accidents & rubber necking type of traffic on all the NYC area roadways 24/7 pretty much. But far worse during rush hour periods.

That 30 min drive would be if there was zero traffic. And that never really happens on that route. There are tons of alternative routes though. Like avoiding highways. But that would make trip take forever. As you would have traffic lights & lower speed limits at all times. Driving around here compared to where you are likely coming from might be very different than what you are used to. Best way to tell it try a test run if you can.

But I can add. Relying on public transit for Long Island area. It really is horrible these days. Always delays & cancellations constantly with the LIRR. They currently have a summer project going on now. Seems to b e going better than the media hyped it up to be.

And just in case you need to rely on public transit to get to place of employment from the LIRR station in Port Washington make sure you check out how you would get from LIRR station to job ahead of time. Not very good NICE Bus transportation here on the Island in Nassau County. So if you can't walk the extra cab fare might need to be factored into your costs. Might also on a different note be hard to find a rental for $1900 month if you don't make 40x the rent in income. Guess that is where/why you mention roommate. I'd be very careful with that as that type of arrangement almost never ends well. Especially if you are strangers to each other & have very different lifestyles. So you would need to make approximately $80,000 a year. And also have good credit & background checks as well. They are a stickler for that here for rentals. Then you would need to add other costs besides the rent. Like utilities & stuff. Rental are not easy to come by here unfortunately.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Woodside, Flushing, Auburndale, Bayside, are all along the Pt. Washington line and all are about 1/2 hour to Penn Station, from where you can get to anything in "the city."
Totally agree with these options. As Flushing is my hometown & I do miss it dearly. But it is nothing like it used to be back in the 70's-80's. If OP is not Asian he might feel very out of place there. But the area of Flushing /Bayside does sort of put OP right in the middle of job in PW & NYC life for easy access to both. It is what I would choose. I would pick Bayside to Douglaston & even Little Neck area. Bayside might be top choice for OP as it would give option for Bell Blvd which has lots of services. especially if not bringing own car.

Honestly don't do Astoria if your job is in Port Washington. Trust me you will not be too happy in the long run with commute.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:36 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Totally agree with these options. As Flushing is my hometown & I do miss it dearly. But it is nothing like it used to be back in the 70's-80's. If OP is not Asian he might feel very out of place there. But the area of Flushing /Bayside does sort of put OP right in the middle of job in PW & NYC life for easy access to both. It is what I would choose. I would pick Bayside to Douglaston & even Little Neck area. Bayside might be top choice for OP as it would give option for Bell Blvd which has lots of services. especially if not bringing own car.

Honestly don't do Astoria if your job is in Port Washington. Trust me you will not be too happy in the long run with commute.
I'm another ex-Flushing person who thought those locations were pretty good suggestions and yes, Flushing is obviously well known now for its sizeable Asian population. When I lived in Flushing I worked in Great Neck for a couple of years. I was young, single and drove like a jerk and I can't imagine getting from Astoria to Port Wash in 30 minutes. Don't think you can do it from Woodside either. On a number of occasions I took the LIRR from the Murray Hill station in Flushing out to Great Neck and that was a breeze. Ditto on the reverse. I was lucky to live and work just a few blocks from each station.

First area I thought of was Bayside too. The Bell Blvd station out to PW is about 20+ minutes. Same station in to Penn is usually under half hour. And as far as that half hour goes - my young, single daughter lives in Astoria and her subway ride in to Manhattan is longer than that. If the OP was thinking of living in Astoria and working in Manhattan I'd say go for it but as a starting point for a reverse commute it's a terrible choice.

As far as bringing a car? I couldn't imagine not having one when I was young. Comes in handy if you want to go to the beach or out to Long Island but parking anywhere in Queens will suck. Insurance is higher than you're paying now. And if you're ever tempted to drive in to the city you'll deal with traffic and parking lot charges that are ridiculous.

Good luck with move and job.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
I'm another ex-Flushing person who thought those locations were pretty good suggestions and yes, Flushing is obviously well known now for its sizeable Asian population. When I lived in Flushing I worked in Great Neck for a couple of years. I was young, single and drove like a jerk and I can't imagine getting from Astoria to Port Wash in 30 minutes. Don't think you can do it from Woodside either. On a number of occasions I took the LIRR from the Murray Hill station in Flushing out to Great Neck and that was a breeze. Ditto on the reverse. I was lucky to live and work just a few blocks from each station.

First area I thought of was Bayside too. The Bell Blvd station out to PW is about 20+ minutes. Same station in to Penn is usually under half hour. And as far as that half hour goes - my young, single daughter lives in Astoria and her subway ride in to Manhattan is longer than that. If the OP was thinking of living in Astoria and working in Manhattan I'd say go for it but as a starting point for a reverse commute it's a terrible choice.

As far as bringing a car? I couldn't imagine not having one when I was young. Comes in handy if you want to go to the beach or out to Long Island but parking anywhere in Queens will suck. Insurance is higher than you're paying now. And if you're ever tempted to drive in to the city you'll deal with traffic and parking lot charges that are ridiculous.

Good luck with move and job.
Not sure if you lived there while I did. Left Flushing in 1989. Spent the day remembering the Blackout there in 1977 as today is the 40th anniversary of that. I was in Flushing that night.

But yeah Bayside I feel is likely best choice & a happy medium for OP to consider.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:58 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,194 times
^^ I left Flushing in '90, moved out to LI when I got married. Graduated HS in '77 and remember the blackout well.

With my daughter living in Queens we're down that way often enough and that's why I know the driving in the area is worse than ever. Last month it took me well over an hour just to get from Flushing to Astoria and that was at 3 in the afternoon. Doesn't really matter if you take the GCP, LIE, Cross Island or Northern Blvd, they can all be rough.

Even though Bayside is a happy medium if it was me I'd be looking to find a rental as close to work in Port Wash as possible and keep my work commute as short as possible. That's the trip you have to make every day. I don't think he's going to be running in to Manhattan every day? The RR from PW on a Friday night or the weekend is not bad. Lot easier having a car in Nassau too, compared to Queens, at least I think so.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
^^ I left Flushing in '90, moved out to LI when I got married. Graduated HS in '77 and remember the blackout well.

With my daughter living in Queens we're down that way often enough and that's why I know the driving in the area is worse than ever. Last month it took me well over an hour just to get from Flushing to Astoria and that was at 3 in the afternoon. Doesn't really matter if you take the GCP, LIE, Cross Island or Northern Blvd, they can all be rough.

Even though Bayside is a happy medium if it was me I'd be looking to find a rental as close to work in Port Wash as possible and keep my work commute as short as possible. That's the trip you have to make every day. I don't think he's going to be running in to Manhattan every day? The RR from PW on a Friday night or the weekend is not bad. Lot easier having a car in Nassau too, compared to Queens, at least I think so.
I was thinking the same thing. but guess OP has to get experience living here for a while. Perhaps then they can see what will be best for them. Hard to make decision like this if you don't know an area much at all. That is the good thing about renting & not buying for the 1st few years at least. You had to have known many people I did from back then. My family was quite well known in the area. For good reasons. Not bad.

I was at one of the Beach Clubs in Flushing area the night of the blackout in 1977. Was certainly a time to remember. Too congested there for me now. Resembles Hong Kong more than anything. Great food though. Nothing much left for my memories. Except I do know my old stomping grounds still has that one last place left. Valentino's pizza. Over near Queens College.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City