Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 06:14 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
The NY Post says the driver was going 120 mph.

Car pileup leaves two dead, multiple injured | New York Post
That's insane, literally more then double the speed limit.

I normally at most go 60mph, even when the highway is empty. Whenever I use the westbound side I almost always use the left lane, since I have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 09:13 PM

5,119 posts, read 4,967,943 times
Quote:

Well, had he not killed himself this time, he will do so on another occasion.
Reckless drivers are poison to public safety and other drivers. I feel sorry for those drivers getting stuck in the traffic and being late for their Sunday events, not to mention all the fuel loss and air pollution for local residents due to traffic backup. Why so many police cars/ambulance/fire trucks?

Old 07-16-2017, 09:36 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
I spent about 6 hours on the racetrack up in CT a few weeks ago driving mostly around 90-125mph on a open racetrack with other cars.

I have to say NYC highways are 10x more dangerous than a highspeed racetrack.

Because racetracks have drivers that pay attention and have courtesy. Maybe a few entitled BMW or Porsche guy refuses to move over on the racetrack but most NYC highways the last few weeks have been dangerous because so much traffic jams caused by big speed differences and highway merges.

There are people speeding and then people doing 40mph in the middle lane while speeders weave in and around behind you there's a guy in a Nissan Versa doing 40mph that was difficult to see because it was so small. I nearly hit the car because it was going so slow and another car was blocking my view of it.

Then you have lots of cars doing 50ish blocking all 3 lanes on the LIE or GCP while cars are tailgating behind. These are very dangerous situations.

At the racetrack I had Vettes and 911s blowing by me at 100mph+ This is called courtesy.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:39 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:

Fake news, those 2 SUVs pictured could barely top 110 unless it was on a salt flats. It has to be another car involved. None of them have the aerodynamics to hit 120mph easily especially how bumpy and curvy that area is unless you're in a 500HP car to get that much speed quickly. It says the grey car was the one, that's a Toyota Highlander, 280HP and weighs about 4000lbs.

Daily news had some better pictures including the driver that died. He must have had blunt force trauma.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3330534

Old 07-17-2017, 02:49 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,082,980 times
My video and several still pictures right after the crash are in the Daily Mail. The people trying to help were probably other drivers as they are not police or FDNY and there was no ambulance yet.

One dead and eight injured in horrific Queens crash | Daily Mail Online

Old 07-17-2017, 06:18 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Driver charged in Grand Central Parkway crash that left 2 dead | abc7ny.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: