Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2017, 01:46 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,203,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Most Dominicans I see in NYC are slim too.
When Dominicans come over they are slim or at least within normal range, but I see a lot of chubby little Dominican kids.

The new American dream is going from an average BMI in the first generation to a solid 30+ by the next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 03:03 PM

12,742 posts, read 8,180,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
When Dominicans come over they are slim or at least within normal range, but I see a lot of chubby little Dominican kids.

The new American dream is going from an average BMI in the first generation to a solid 30+ by the next.
Plenty of slim ones, big ones and chubby ones. Not overly fat in most cases, but *thick*. Hay que comer.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:32 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,338,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliya47 View Post
I'm thinking that obesity in NYC and all over the country it's a thing that everything to do with income inequality. They unseparated! It's just show that the more obesity we have, the more income inequality - at the same time .
Income inequality was extremely high in the 1920's and 1930's and I can assure you that the US didn't have the same obesity epidemic.
This has little to do with income and much to do with how relatively cheap food is and the rise of a sedentary lifestyle.

In simpler terms, mother****ers are fat because they have little self control and/or don't move their asses enough.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:40 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,396,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

I know a lot of Dominican-Americans, I can only think of a few off the top of my head who are obese.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:46 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,558,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_407 View Post
Black people have very peculiar genetics. It was scientifically proven that they are more likely to have athletic inclination than any other race. They also are rather tall, built strongly, and many of them can eat whatever they please and still have washboard and.

All the blacks I know are either diesel and ripped, regardless of how much fried chicken or junk they may consume, or are very big and overweight which tells that it's in their genetics that they are always obese.....

Look all all the professional sports. Many of them are heavily populated with black athletes.
It's not simply genetics. After the teens years when the high metabolism has slowed down, those that are in shape work at it by keeping physically active. Many Black athletes turn fat after they stop playing unless they keep up a vigorous physical workout routine. I am an African-American woman (height and weight proportionate) and have relatives on both sides of the equation although the majority are fat or obese regardless whether male or female.

African-American soul food and Caribbean foods are not the same. Soul food diets consists of healthy food cooked with a lot of unhealthy seasoning or flavoring added consisting of excessive salt, sugar, pork, or vegetable oil for fried foods. Not to mention sweet snacks although Blacks aren't as crazy about chocolate as Whites are. I'm not sure why fried chicken is demonized. Eating fried chicken and fastfood in moderation will not cause a person to become fat or obese. The people you know who are ripped but eat fried chicken and fastfood do so in moderation relative to what they burn off by working out (otherwise they wouldn't be ripped) or playing b-ball or other sports. The fat ones eat too much relative to their non-physical activities lifestyle.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:47 PM

Default Not in the islands but in NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
IVe been to the DR, most people I saw their was slim just like all of the other Caribbean islands.
I'm talking about the ones here in NYC. Although I mention PR and DR who live in the home country in my previous post, that was my mistake because I can't really speak on them since I only see the ones (some who are chubby/fat) who come to visit relatives in NYC. They are relatives of my PR and DR friends here. It's not like I go to visit them there.

Last edited by Klassyhk; 07-22-2017 at 04:55 PM..

Old 07-22-2017, 04:49 PM

Default That's what I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Plenty of slim ones, big ones and chubby ones. Not overly fat in most cases, but *thick*. Hay que comer.
Relative to Black Caribbeans in NYC, I know more and see a larger percentage of fat/chubby/big PR and Dominians in NYC than Black Caribbeans.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:50 PM

Default Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Income inequality was extremely high in the 1920's and 1930's and I can assure you that the US didn't have the same obesity epidemic.
This has little to do with income and much to do with how relatively cheap food is and the rise of a sedentary lifestyle.

In simpler terms, mother****ers are fat because they have little self control and/or don't move their asses enough.

You made a good point.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:02 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,338,524 times
Why are we only focusing on obese?

There's much space between a healthy weight and obese. Many people aren't obese but are overweight.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:04 PM

983 posts, read 924,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
You made a good point.
No, he doens't. In the 20s and 30s, if you were poor, you didn't eat. Now, if you're poor, you get stamps and SNAP, and the cheapest food around is ****ty fast food.

Acting as though it's primarily a function of self control (although I agree that self control is lacking in many cases) is really disingenuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City