Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 09:58 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times

Advertisements

Controlling food intake is hard when you have access to unlimited amounts of it (as never before in history.)
Food addiction is unlike others because it is something we MUST have.
Like telling a heroin addict, you must use a half a hypo of heroin three times a day, but never more than half...for the rest of your life.

I am pretty sure that obesity is far less of a problem for New Yorkers than for almost anywhere else in the U.S. because of the absence of the car culture and the abundance of drive through fast food in the hinterlands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 10:04 AM

343 posts, read 254,185 times
I will tell you why

Today I was on a bus with about 70 people and everyone was overweight except me. It's not okay.

Also, you are trolling my topic. All of you are a bunch of trolls.

You are right not everybody in Washington Heights is obese. In fact there are skinny people too.

But not today on that bus they were not...

Old 07-17-2017, 10:05 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
For many reasons, being overweight is closely correlated with poverty. So in a poorer part of the city you will see more overweight people than in an affluent neighborhood. That's generally true all over the country.

The other thing that is generally true is that overall, New Yorkers are a bit thinner because they walk more and drive less than in other parts of the country. Go into a Wal-Mart in the rural south, as I recently did, looking for a pair of slim cut jeans. They don't even carry them. But plenty of size 40s.

And of course everybody in Washington Heights is not fat. For sure.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:06 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Ah yes, Walmart obesity...a joy to behold.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Walm...w=1536&bih=786

Old 07-17-2017, 10:08 AM

Kefir King is the voice of reason. But do all obese people have a food addiction? A lot of them just think that it is in their genetics. Since their mom and pop were obese, they too are meant to be obese. I think all obese people have food addictions, which is not a surprise because a lot of foods are made in laboratories and they are designed to be addictive. However, a large part of the obese population are unaware of what they eat. They have zero education about what constitutes a healthy diet.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:09 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
Ive said here before and will say it again I have traveled a ton.

Oh hey everybody, lets attack the guy who is health conscious. Down with the conscious thinkers!

Troll!
Well if you've traveled to other places in the US you would notice very quickly it's not a "NYC thing".

I'm super health conscious. I run a couple of times a week, go to the gym regularly, avoid fried foods and never drink soda (I love carbs though, lol!) but I also understand the obesity isssue is a larger health problem for America as a whole.

Also, a lot of the "traditional foods" that are heavy or otherwise "unhealthy" wouldn't be that big of an issue of people were more active. Traditional American foods are super heavy but 100 years ago, more jobs were manual so burning off a large meal was an easier task.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Ah yes, Walmart obesity...a joy to behold.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Walm...w=1536&bih=786
That's all I am saying is this is NOT okay.

You guys are concerned about your politics, your real estate and your government news, but the issue of health in our society is what concerns me. In your link that is SERIOUSLY something that needs to be addressed in our country.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:14 AM

8,678 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
The bus smelled like people who eat McDonalds. I noticed that there was only one person on the whole bus who was not sweating profusely. Me.
check out the thread here on DeBlasio's war on rats. That is why NY has rat problems. Many NYers are disgusting

Old 07-17-2017, 10:15 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
I will tell you why

Today I was on a bus with about 70 people and everyone was overweight except me. It's not okay.

Also, you are trolling my topic. All of you are a bunch of trolls.

You are right not everybody in Washington Heights is obese. In fact there are skinny people too.

But not today on that bus they were not...
How is that not ok? Were they pressing on you? Why didn't you tell them off?

You have skinny people, fit people, average people, fat and obese people in Wash heights. Not sure what bus you got on but maybe this is all in your head.

Hawaii has good portion of their population that is overweight. Why aren't you back there fighting the fat crusade? (LOL!)

Old 07-17-2017, 10:17 AM

8,678 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Troll post. NYC is certainly not worse than flyover suburbs and rural areas in regards to obesity. I saw way more obesity in Vestal, New York.

Also, the obesity rate in Mexico is only slightly higher than the US.
I agree. Out in the rural areas, obesity is far worse from what I saw.

Since NY has such a dense population, every inch of space matters....so when those blubbers of fat rubbing against you in the subways or bus, its disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City