Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 12:06 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,647,268 times

Advertisements

This seems awfully unlikely to me. It's not as if it's a lot of fun to sit staring off into space, sitting on a NYC sidewalk in the heat and humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 02:47 PM

2,981 posts, read 1,163,976 times
The ones I see are always in front of the fast food places and rite aid they always say they need money to eat BUT I see them comes out of one of the liquor stores on Amsterdam ave!

Old 07-26-2017, 05:16 PM

152 posts, read 109,674 times
Nah I'm sick of these bums. The post did an article recently about the homeless situation and interviewed two twin brothers that camp out with tons of crap on 57th and Broadway. Well when you search their names articles come up from the past. These guys been squatting/homeless since they were in thier 20's and now they are in their 50's. And they are bitching that they were not given a permanent home but rather offered transitional housing. GTHOH this is the taxpayers issue? that they decided to be bums and not work? Man this world is f@#!ed. wow just wow!

Last edited by Its_Her_CC_Q4; 07-26-2017 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-26-2017, 05:25 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Her_CC_Q4 View Post
Nah I'm sick of these bums. The post did an article recently about the homeless situation and interviewed two twin brothers that camp out with tons of crap on 57th and Broadway. Well when you search their names articles come up from the past. These guys been squatting/homeless since they were in thier 20's and now they are in their 50's. And they are bitching that they were not given a permanent home but rather offered transitional housing. GTHOH this is the taxpayers issue? that they decided to be bums and not work? Man this world is f@#!ed. wow just wow!

Posted a link to that NYP story and didn't give Peter and Paul Barrero a second thought, but after your post did a quick Google search.

Those to brother are old school straight up homeless. They've been living rough like that since at least the 1980's if not before. Sad in a way and you really want to know the backstory.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&....0.eNsKSsFyBWI

NYPD DAILY BLOTTER | New York Post

Old 07-26-2017, 06:44 PM

Yeah I will say it is sad. If somehow the system failed them from such a young age and they remained on the street. I don't know their story so I cannot judge. For safety reasons or due to prior experiences I can certainly understand a person turning down an NYC shelter stay.

But there is usually NOT such an innocent story behind alot of these. We have a huge problem in society with homelessness, mental illness and drug abuse; also unhealthiness. Have you seen what the tent cities in California look like? Some people open their door to homeless sleeping right there. People make choices in life and sometimes they consistently make the wrong ones. Its also tragic for those who struggled to get to where they are or just for people who live decent hard working lives to always have to deal with things. And that I think was kind of the OP.

Also why is it all of the government programs are rife with fraud and black holes where money and equipment disappear? Ever go online looking for an apartment and see NYCHA units or rooms in units being rented? Cause I have. That kind of stuff is why you can't GIVE a fish...you must teach one to fish. Ever live next to some loser who rented his house to a family on section 8 who let their entire extended family move in and destroy the place? And sold drugs right on the stoop? Man this is NYC and most people are just tired of the fraud and abuse. Their are tons of reasons the system is broken...too many to even begin to have the energy to get into on here lol

Old 07-26-2017, 06:55 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,248 times
You bring up a ton of good points. It's INSANE that people are competing for 1200 dollar studios just a few years ago and section 8 was paying 1200 and then OOOOOOOOOH! they raised the section 8 allowance to 1500 dollars and guess what happened in marginal areas of the city? Areas of the city that could USE working people!? the landlords raised the base rent to about 1500. That means people earning less than 55K per year don't even qualify based on the 40x rent rule, but because the government will send the landlords their rent checks directly of 1500 versus 1200 guess what these landlords choose to rent to? yeah. :/ It's insulting, but in reality no one cares.

Landlords would rather get 1500 dollars guaranteed check from the government than 1200 dollars from a working class person. What is wrong with this picture? Oh that we aren't drawn into that picture basically. It's bizarro-ville and makes me want to run away as far away from this city as possible.

Most people are getting fed up (aka basically can't afford market rate rent anymore) let this city just be a giant serfdom of it's rich and their peasants. barf!

Old 07-26-2017, 07:16 PM

Thank you. And exactly...it is the freakin' Twilight Zone. It's infuriating and mind boggling. And some of the rents are even higher JUST because these landlords know the system and they accept these programs and they KNOW the government will pay it.

Meanwhile us working peeps get the shaft. And the people who are honest and could use a hand up to get to a better place and actually are thankful if they get help......rarely are the customers served by the NYC poverty brokers. Truly a waste of taxpayer funds, we have some brilliant minds in this city and you are telling me we can't come up with a better solution? Aw man I don't buy it issa scam lol

What I know is that the black hole in which money, and equipment and supplies paid for by taxpayers goes into must be the greatest mystery of late. NYCHA is the worst! And in all this fu@#÷ry the same type of politicians get elected. Is there nothing but dishonesty, special interests, greed, and lip service in this place? Something smells rotten and it ain't New Jersey haha (kidding)

Old 07-26-2017, 07:56 PM

Wow......yeah that is crazy smh. Really its so broken. The tangled web of nonsensical BS. Maybe the crusties have the right idea....lol hell no. Povery programs are big business here. Lets not even begin talking about the medicaid and medicare fraud (from all angles....doctors, patients all that). Unscrupulous doctors have become the new heroin pushers. Every other day scammer clinics getting busted. Is humanity doomed? Are there any decent people here? damn. What truly sucks is that the majority of us have to deal with it one way or the other because we live here and work for a living. Well no one's trapped here but you get my drift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City