Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 04:22 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBull View Post
First thing's first - NYC has to fix what's already in place. The SAS was a boondoggle. Fulton Center - boondoggle. It frustrated me when I would be standing in the Sutphin and Archer train station - built out in the early 90s - with the ceilings falling apart, walls cracking, etcetera. How can the MTA get itself involved in these expensive projects while train stations are literally falling apart before our very eyes?

Secondly, borrow the necessary money to hire workers to rebuild the entire network of tracks with today's technology and metallurgy. Transit has always been fixing tracks. But you can't run a 21st century system using bandaids. You have to gut the system and rebuild.

Lastly, if Cuomo wants to pin the responsibility of the MTA on the City, then let NYC take it over and fold it into the NYCDOT. I think that tighter integration between public transportation and roadwork would actually work out better in the long run with regard to quickly responding to "act of God" events like tropical storms and "man-made" events like rising water levels which will devastate NYC public transportation infrastructure.
Well the state has thrown the MTA to the city, at least NYC transit. Someone will have to do something. If the state refuses to take action the city will have to figure out to do using the city real estate and sales taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 04:29 PM

224 posts, read 134,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well the state has thrown the MTA to the city, at least NYC transit. Someone will have to do something. If the state refuses to take action the city will have to figure out to do using the city real estate and sales taxes.
True. And that puts the City in a very difficult position of providing the money but not having the final say in MTA decision-making. I don't think DeBlasio will bite. And I feel like Cuomo is making his feud with DeBlasio more and more personal. Very embarrassing for New Yorkers.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:44 AM

270 posts, read 145,225 times
"Great job" of governing. Reminds me of when President Ford told NYC to drop dead. Unfortunately, this is worse since Cuomo is our own "governor".

Old 07-22-2017, 01:09 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
what an idiot, he spends weeks fumbling on how to explain his ineptitude on making the trains run and now finally he gives up and says it's not his problem LOL

He thinks he can get re-elected pulling stunts like this? What is he smoking

Old 07-22-2017, 01:15 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

I've told ya; NYC couldn't "afford" NYCTA back in the day, and certainly cannot today.

First and foremost it would put employee/pension costs back onto the city which it just cannot afford to pay. Well it *could* but there would be fiscal pain.

Second, NYC mayor and other politicians would then directly be held accountable for fares; and given the current cast of clowns in office they'd lower things, and or at least not raise them in any way to increase fare box recovery rates. Again that was one of the main reasons why the private transit companies were forced to sell (creating the NYCTA) and then the city couldn't do any better; no one then nor now in city politics has the balls to raise subway/bus fares.

It wasn't that long ago that Bill de Bozo told the state it didn't "have" extra money to kick upstairs for MTA. Cuomo (in one of his few brighter moments) called out that lie as the city was spending large on all sorts of social programs, and was banking huge sums. In the end mayor had to be dragged screaming to pay up, but he did.

Finally again and most important; NYC does *NOT* have the finances to fund major maintenance much less capital improvement of the subway system, let alone buses. I was there in the 1970's and 1980's remember. And don't want to go backwards to that NYCTA ever again.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:11 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Hahaha! NY Post weighs in: This loony approach to fixing the subways could send NYC back to the 80s | New York Post

Old 07-22-2017, 07:58 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Funny post of that cute black woman eating Popeyes. chicken wings. She looks like my ex girlfriend.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:27 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosenza View Post
"Great job" of governing. Reminds me of when President Ford told NYC to drop dead. Unfortunately, this is worse since Cuomo is our own "governor".
Well, Ford never -actually- said Drop Dead to NYC, those were the words of the Daily News.

Ford just said he wouldn't use federal funds to save NYC, since it was the fiscal responsibility of NYC and New York.

The same is coming out true here. NYS/NYC need to accept the huge burden/cost of repairing the MTA NYCT infrastructure. It will cost tens of billions and it should have been working/alotted all along.

My solution is to scab out an hire cheaper federal labor to do the job. This way NYC/NYS is still paying for it, but they can use federal labor at cheaper rates than absurd NY Union Labor and the long-term costs (pension/healthcare) will be absolved from a federal level.

The bridges and tunnels and Rail Services (aside from Penn Station which is a whole other situation) aren't flat out dying like the Subway is.

NYC needs to raise impact fees on new development.

Frankly, they should do away with the Unlimited Metrocard too. Not very popular of a choice to make, but it's one that will alleviate the system OR generate revenue. Win-Win.

.... I'd like to point out- Problematically, these thoughts twenty minutes and two drinks in, are the results of what New York would **** away literally 4 million on a two-year feasibility study to different cost saving measures.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:37 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
All I know is. Transit in NYC sucks. From our airports to our subways and everything else in between. If nyc wants to be the bleeding edge of the global economic system. The city and it's public private affiliates such as the mta and port authority needs to step it it up. If not the state and the City should pony up to Trump and kusher.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:46 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
All I know is. Transit in NYC sucks. From our airports to our subways and everything else in between. If nyc wants to be the bleeding edge of the global economic system. The city and it's public private affiliates such as the mta and port authority needs to step it it up. If not the state and the City should pony up to Trump and kusher.
I now bicycle everywhere I can, weather permitting, when traffic is too heavy to drive. I avoid the subway at all costs when possible

I've also been noticing more and more illegal motor-assist bicycles, scooters, and the latest one skateboards everywhere. I still pedal the old fashioned way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City