Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2017, 10:16 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,861,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Completely irrelevant. What's important is how much the debt hampers the individual or company.
Which was exactly my point. Debt is not necessarily bad, provided it doesn't hamper the individual or the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Poor people and rich people use debt in different ways. Rich people use debt as a tool to make more money, while poor people use debt as a hindrance. Using debt to purchase a depreciating assets or spending on a credit card with ridiculous high interest rate is how poor people get in trouble, while rich people use debt as a way to leverage making more money (debt to buy revenue producing assets, using low interest rate debt as an alternative to cash/investing cash in high interest rate products, etc...).
Agreed. A person using debt to financial medical school is making a good investment in their future.

Even spending on a credit card isn't bad provided you can pay it off each month. Some people live off their credit cards when they lose their jobs, and even that, though not the best, is dealt with when they get new jobs.

Debt isn't bad. What's bad is if you don't have the income to service those debts, and you just borrow and put yourself in the hole with no prospects of future income.

Btw, using debt to purchase a car, which depreciates isn't bad. You need the car to get to work, in most places.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:43 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,188,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post

My Fellow PR Boogy Down Dweller revolutionary who hates everything USA but still refuses to leave... Why didn't these new neighbors have to adapt to how quiet and orderly my neighborhood used to be? Why do I need to endure their way of "night life and fun" now?
Lol here we go again with this

I do not "hate everything USA" I was born in America and I am culturally very American. I love America. The beautiful countryside, the tenacity of the people, the amazing cuisine, the birthplace of two the greatest music genres in human history; Jazz and Hip-Hop. There is so much to love and be proud of and patriotic about as an American.

What I hate is the American government. It's racist laws. It's bought-off politicians. It's genocidal history.

Hating the American government and America are two very different things. You ask about why I don't move to PR, well for one the American government has completely ruined PR and many other places in the third world.

Now as to your second point about your neighborhood getting louder, this to me is very different than white people who have a legacy of colonialism moving in to a neighborhood and imposing their way of life like they did during colonial period. Black people moving into Puerto Rican neighborhood and the neighborhood changing is not raced-based in the same way as whites moving in due to the nature of white oppression of people of color

Old 07-24-2017, 08:48 AM

6,672 posts, read 5,962,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Lol here we go again with this

I do not "hate everything USA" I was born in America and I am culturally very American. I love America. The beautiful countryside, the tenacity of the people, the amazing cuisine, the birthplace of two the greatest music genres in human history; Jazz and Hip-Hop. There is so much to love and be proud of and patriotic about as an American.

What I hate is the American government. It's racist laws. It's bought-off politicians. It's genocidal history.

Hating the American government and America are two very different things. You ask about why I don't move to PR, well for one the American government has completely ruined PR and many other places in the third world.

Now as to your second point about your neighborhood getting louder, this to me is very different than white people who have a legacy of colonialism moving in to a neighborhood and imposing their way of life like they did during colonial period. Black people moving into Puerto Rican neighborhood and the neighborhood changing is not raced-based in the same way as whites moving in due to the nature of white oppression of people of color

I'm sorry, but that is as ridiculous as it can get. Personally, I'm not interested in what happened 200 years ago. Granted it still affects many of us, but the point is what happens today and forward. At the end of the day, everyone wants to live in a safe neighborhood where there isn't blasting music at all hours of the night - regardless of color.

You know, part of progressing in society (and stop blaming others for your failures) is to actually develop
skills that are in demand. How are you or your children going to do that if you're constantly blasting music, loitering the hallways and outside of the building, instead of studying for a math test, as one example? That's why people who engage in loud and loitering behavior (whites, blacks, latinos, purples, included), receive low exam scores when they take the SAT, GRE, etc. You need time, peace, and quiet to study for subjects that actually put you into a better way of life!

Old 07-24-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I'm sorry, but that is as ridiculous as it can get. Personally, I'm not interested in what happened 200 years ago. Granted it still affects many of us, but the point is what happens today and forward. At the end of the day, everyone wants to live in a safe neighborhood where there isn't blasting music at all hours of the night - regardless of color.

You know, part of progressing in society (and stop blaming others for your failures) is to actually develop
skills that are in demand. How are you or your children going to do that if you're constantly blasting music, loitering the hallways and outside of the building, instead of studying for a math test, as one example? That's why people who engage in loud and loitering behavior (whites, blacks, latinos, purples, included), receive low exam scores when they take the SAT, GRE, etc. You need time, peace, and quiet to study for subjects that actually put you into a better way of life!
You also need sleep to get up and be able to properly perform for any job, including retail. Loud music is too disruptive to the lives of others. As for hanging outside the building or hallways how people spend their time is their business.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:23 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,965,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The problem with say Africana studies is it has little to do with Africa. It's mainly political leftist stuff.

If someone had an academic background say in African languages, they could indeed get research positions, state department positions, or work with businesses that dealt with African nations.

But identity politics majors have nothing to do with that. Similarly what's called Latino studies (not the same as Latin American studies) has nothing to do with what's going on in Latin America and uses little to no Spanish or Portuguese.

If a person were able to learn Chinese or Japanese WELL, yes there are markets and job applications for that. Simply reading Asian American poetry? No.

The other thing with actual area studies (Eastern European Studies, African Studies, Latin American studies, Asian studies) you need to actually have another major. You can minor or specialize in those fields.

A person with a degree in history, linguistics, or anthropology and with one of those specialities could work in the museum sector, the non profit sector, or in certain corporate capacities (they hire people with language programs to help put software applications in multiple languages). Though these jobs are probably more for someone who obtains at least a masters degree.

The African/ethnic studies I feel exploit the insecurity of minority students on campus and talk them into joining the major because if they didn't these identity politics department would shrivel up and die (and I am keeping them separate from area or regional studies which are legitimate academic departments).

I'm not saying that one can't research Asian American poetry or African American literature or that's it's bad to do so. I'm saying it's a mistake to have that for your only degree or major.
Their are a ton of useless degrees in this country. Some of the useless degrees cost a ton of money to earn as a discipline. Fine Arts is useless, English and literature is useless, anything in a form of studies, history and or humanities is useless. I have come across plenty of Transplants in my day here in NYC, and most have useless degrees, but still manage to get a decent paying job. It has come to attention that these transplants can not obtain a real job with their degrees in Middle America. Whats great about NYC is that someone can major in English after 4 years and apply to become an NYPD officer then finish the academy. If I had a worthless degree, I'd make sure that I went to a top college like Harvard, Yale or Cornell, employers will still hire someone from an Ivy League who graduated with a worthless degree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2pRgtLsqp0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XstnxhIA32A

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-24-2017 at 11:36 AM..

Old 07-24-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Their are a ton of useless degrees in this country. Some of the useless degrees cost a ton of money to earn as a discipline. Fine Arts is useless, English and literature is useless, anything in a form of studies, history and or humanities is useless. I have come across plenty of Transplants in my day here in NYC, and most have useless degrees, but still manage to get a decent paying job. It has come to attention that these transplants can not obtain a real job with their degrees in Middle America. Whats great about NYC is that someone can major in English after 4 years and apply to become an NYPD officer then finish the academy. If I had a worthless degree, I'd make sure that I went to a top college like Harvard, Yale or Cornell, employers will still hire someone from an Ivy League who graduated with a worthless degree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2pRgtLsqp0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XstnxhIA32A
Those degrees aren't useless if gets those alumni jobs. I guess the question is your degree worth anything?

Clearly you're upset about exclusion, but you never can bring yourself to admit you personally are excluded.

Meryl Street has a MFA in theatre. MFA wasn't useless fir her. Most politicians have humanities degrees, and law degrees. Not useless for them.

Middle America has teachers and professors. Not useless for them.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:28 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,723,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If you don't already, get armed and stock up on ammo. When you read boogey's comments, keep in mind that hordes agree with him, and will eventually lash out physically. At that point, you're going to need to be able to defend you and yours.

I carry a ballistic helmet, plate vest, 400rd of ammunition, a rifle and a handgun in my vehicle at all times. You'd do well to do something similar if you're white and don't ascribe to the "I was born racist and must repent" nonsense.
I would LOVE to be able to do that. But, I have four cars and three work trucks. Stocking each one would be a heavy lift but God damn I would love to try. Legally of course.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:33 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,784,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Makes no sense. She resides in 111 Central Park North too
Whats that about?
Unless your rich, how...why would you have two apartments in Manhattan??

Old 07-24-2017, 04:37 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,188,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If you don't already, get armed and stock up on ammo. When you read boogey's comments, keep in mind that hordes agree with him, and will eventually lash out physically. At that point, you're going to need to be able to defend you and yours.

I carry a ballistic helmet, plate vest, 400rd of ammunition, a rifle and a handgun in my vehicle at all times. You'd do well to do something similar if you're white and don't ascribe to the "I was born racist and must repent" nonsense.
The race war nonsense is ridiculous I don't know how people fall for this sort of divide and conquer BS

Blue collar and working class whites have a lot more to gain fighting alongside black people than they do fighting black people for billionaires who don't give a damn about them like Warren Buffet and Donald Trump.

Working class whites are realizing that they're interests are more aligned with black people than wealthy whites, and once this gains momentum nothing will stop black white unity.

If you don't believe this is happening, just google "Redneck Revolt"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City