Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 11:11 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
The vast majority of families living in Harlem are fine with ice cream trucks and have understood for decades that it brings children joy.
I lived in Harlem and no people were not happy with the ice cream truck.
One it annoyed people, two is caused their children to bug them for ice cream.
No sane person wants an ice cream truck by them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 11:15 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
As someone who grew up in a mostly Italian neighborhood (though I am not one of them) that has gradually turned into a mostly black neighborhood, I can assure you that the black neighbors also came in and immediately imposed their culture and maligned the customs of the people in the neighborhood who had been living there for generations before.

Why does this apply to whites but not blacks? Do they have their own "superior race" paradigm or is there some other chauvinistic cultural paradigm at work?
Please stop with your critical thinking and common sense, you are only confusing the ignorant racial tools.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:23 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
The vast majority of families living in Harlem are fine with ice cream trucks and have understood for decades that it brings children joy. Now a white women moves in and has a problem with it.

It is not a "race" issue per say, but it DEFINATELY has racial undertones especially with the tension of gentrification in harlem which has been a frontline of gentrification in this city
Please provide proof that the vast majority of families moving into Harlem are fine with ice cream trucks.

But white people moving into Harlem is not really the point. People should be able to live wherever they want to. Any person of any race has the legal right to buy or rent wherever they please. You cannot accuse people of racism and then attack non Black people for moving into Harlem.

The real reason gentrification is such an issue has to do with this.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanad.../#6b6557017b8f

Essentially Black men with bachelor degrees are competitive with white men who are college drop outs, according to this study referenced by Forbes magazine. The article also states it generally takes professional or advanced degrees for Black men to be able to compete with white men. In short the study and article are saying that there's massive discrimination in the job market. Not to mention the affects of mass incarceration on non white populations. Not to mention being locked out of mortgage markets in the past.

Address those issues. It was never okay to try to make certain inner city neighborhoods some sort of ghetto for Black people, which seems to be what you wanted to do. And by ghetto I mean a place where historically unwanted/marginalized people are dumped. Like you had the Jewish ghettoes in Europe.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:35 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Quote:
Because she moves into a neighborhood that predominantly black, and immediately imposes here culture on the neighbor and maligns the customs of the people of the neighborhood who had been living there for generations before. Much like what happened during colonialism.

This goes back to the whole "superior race" paradigm how white bodies and opinions are more important than black ones and override black bodies and opinions.

If you are new to neighborhood, and not of the culture that is predominant in that area, you do not get to assert your own culture and beliefs on the people of the neighborhood and demand they follow your culture while deriding theirs
I'm more than willing to bet if a Black or Latino person moved into a White area and was told to "fit in" we'd be hearing incessant cries of "racism". And to be honest, rightfully so. This is NYC, you're bound to find yourself eventually living next to other cultures that don't share your viewpoints and frankly that's part of the city's beauty. Black people have been insulated from this ironically due to racism.

So some lady is upset about Mr Softee. If the politicians/community leaders in NY weren't so utterly devoted to pandering to anyone who'd vote for them they'd tell her too bad. Why is this even news? Broadcasting this only encourages more crank-tastic attitudes thinking "If I scream loud enough I'll get what I want"

Old 07-23-2017, 11:50 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
The residents in the area around Perry Ave in Norwood, the Bronx lodged 132 complaints about ice cream truck noise in 4 years, more than any other area in the rest of the entire city.

That area is 91% NON-white. I suppose the OP would try to claim that the only residents of that area who submit complaints about ice cream truck noise are part of the 9% white population.

NYers lodge over 7,000 ice cream truck complaints in 4 years | New York Post

Old 07-23-2017, 01:26 PM

769 posts, read 1,015,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
Why are you characterizing this woman as a racist?
this might have a lot to with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBxZGWCdgs

shocking, i know.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:32 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
While I strongly disagree with that lady, what do ice cream trucks have to do with black culture?

Old 07-23-2017, 01:36 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post

shocking, i know.
They're as much racists as people that are openly racists.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:38 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post

shocking, i know.
Wow, Fox News

Old 07-23-2017, 01:45 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
impose her culture?? I am latino (born in Dominican R) and i wouldn't want an ice cream truck blasting music from 7pm to 10 pm.

This is a noise issue but you turned it into a race issue.
If it's a noise issue as you say, not saying it's not but can't the decibel level be checked? If the sound coming from the PA speaker is louder than the allowable decibel levels, then I would think that the sound system can be tweaked to a level more acceptable. Maybe play softer (lower level decibel) from 9-10 pm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City