Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 03:17 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Oh this is going to be good!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.3355617
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 03:20 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
What dramatic outcomes are expected out of this? They can't roll back AirBnB. The manufacturing union members had more success backing Trump and getting him to back out of the TPP, reconsider NAFTA etc.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
What dramatic outcomes are expected out of this? They can't roll back AirBnB. The manufacturing union members had more success backing Trump and getting him to back out of the TPP, reconsider NAFTA etc.

Well obviously the progressive/left/democratic unions that have pushed this so called era of "progressive" politics on NYC (via that some kind of mayor and city council) are worried that gravy train might end.

On the UWS for instance the Rosenthal woman is being seriously challenged by a transgender man (Mel Wyemore: https://melwymore.ngpvanhost.com/).

Though still a democrat obviously the hotel workers union is worried that alone isn't good enough.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:17 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Unions tend to change political alliances all the time when things don't go their way. I can't blame them.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:51 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,197,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Yeah and now the trade agreeements he's proposing are even worse. TPP minus any worker protections. Trump is a sham. He just said he's anti-globalization to win working class and nationalist voters. He knew that workers both left-wing and right-wing are mostly anti-globalization and so he said what he had to. Now that he's elected he won't sick to anything he said of course. I mean Trump is famous for making his ties in overseas sweatshops for christ sakes. How committed you think he really is to bringing back American manufacturing?

Old 07-26-2017, 04:55 PM

One of the big reasons organized labor is in a crisis right now is because union leadership is in bed with the democrats who do almost nothing to defend and protect unions.

I remember I was at a big union political conference two years ago and I critiqued my international union's obsession with endorsing democrats I pointed out how Hillary Clinton herself was an architect of TPP and the international union was campaigning heavily against TPP. The strategic director mumbled some garbage about how sometimes our friends aren't great friends and look at the other guys. Two weeks later the union endorsed Hillary and poured much of the anti-TPP resources being spent into mobilizing for her campaign. Nonetheless you can imagine how nauseating this was for me.

I was eventually booted from a major local committee for my refusal to campaign or vote on her behalf and my active denunciations of democrats

Old 07-26-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
One of the big reasons organized labor is in a crisis right now is because union leadership is in bed with the democrats who do almost nothing to defend and protect unions.

I remember I was at a big union political conference two years ago and I critiqued my international union's obsession with endorsing democrats I pointed out how Hillary Clinton herself was an architect of TPP and the international union was campaigning heavily against TPP. The strategic director mumbled some garbage about how sometimes our friends aren't great friends and look at the other guys. Two weeks later the union endorsed Hillary and poured much of the anti-TPP resources being spent into mobilizing for her campaign. Nonetheless you can imagine how nauseating this was for me.

I was eventually booted from a major local committee for my refusal to campaign or vote on her behalf and my active denunciations of democrats

Oh I don't know about all that; 1199 is *THE* big union in NYS and NYC. They have been controlling things in Albany and in the city for some time now. Indeed large amounts of the recent progressive/liberal/democratic platform of Bill de Boob and city council comes right out of the 1199's playbook. You only have to look at how vast New York City's payroll has grown as BdeB has hired/created/greatly expanded the municipal workforce. This and doling out pay raises.
The Union That Rules New York

Of course the other big union in New York is the teachers union. Posted a story yesterday how NY vastly outspends nearly every other state for public education, much of that money goes to the teachers.
New York's Public Schools Spend More Than Much Of The Nation

Hotel workers union along with the hotel owners themselves have been funding all sorts of government action against AirBnB, and so far they've gotten quite a lot out of Albany and City Hall.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Oh I don't know about all that; 1199 is *THE* big union in NYS and NYC. They have been controlling things in Albany and in the city for some time now. Indeed large amounts of the recent progressive/liberal/democratic platform of Bill de Boob and city council comes right out of the 1199's playbook. You only have to look at how vast New York City's payroll has grown as BdeB has hired/created/greatly expanded the municipal workforce. This and doling out pay raises.
The Union That Rules New York

Of course the other big union in New York is the teachers union. Posted a story yesterday how NY vastly outspends nearly every other state for public education, much of that money goes to the teachers.
New York's Public Schools Spend More Than Much Of The Nation

Hotel workers union along with the hotel owners themselves have been funding all sorts of government action against AirBnB, and so far they've gotten quite a lot out of Albany and City Hall.
1199 and teachers unions have really NOT got a lot out of the democrats considering the fact that we have the power to shut down the city if we stop working.

Cuomo has persistently threatened medicaid spending cuts, Cuomo has advanced the spread of for-profit regulation-less charter schools.

In terms of the social justice agenda very little has been enacted. Stop and frisk was stopped but replace with Quality of Life policing which is just as bad, the affordable housing plan is the same as the weak Bloomberg plan. The only solid thing we've gotten is universal pre-k. However at the same time major funding to the MTA has been lost, public housing is being privatized, and de Blasio is advancing gentrification rezoning plans that kick out workers from their neighborhoods.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:52 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
1199 always tries to talk their members into donating money to their political nonsense. Then they give you the evil eye when you put down NADA on the form.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
1199 always tries to talk their members into donating money to their political nonsense. Then they give you the evil eye when you put down NADA on the form.
Yeah because you are ensuring that your wages, benefits, pension, and healthcare are decimated.

You are shooting yourself in the foot by not donating to the Political Action Committee.

Our bosses, the pharmaceutical companies, the insurance companies, etc... you can bet they are donating to politicians and spending money on lobbiests. If we don't have the money to mobilize our members and fight for more healthcare jobs, better wages, better health insurance regulations etc.. then they will set the agenda and we will lose many of the benefits and wages we have

For instance the last "political nonsense" the union spent a lot of money on was fighting for $15 minimum wage. If we didn't mobilize for that, we would not have won that into law in NYC. Because it is now state law, tens of thousands of 1199 home health aides and other healthcare workers saw major increases in their wages.

Another example is the loss of Obamacare that 1199 is using money to fight. If we lose Obamacare the cost for our employer based health insurance plans could go up causing us to pay higher co-pays and deductibles. Right now I'm blessed because my contract I have $0 co-pay premiums which allow me to go to the doctor when I need to without fearing a big bill that could cause me to go into debt. If I lost that I don't know how I'd take care of my health
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City