Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2018, 02:27 AM

8 posts, read 13,603 times

Advertisements

My friend and I recently stayed at an Airbnb located in Washington Heights. During the day, the area didn’t seem too bad although we did stick out because we’re two white girls from a small town. We took the train to Manhattan and came back at around midnight. We then got lost near our stop and our phones were dead. We kept walking around. There were gang looking guys on every other corner eyeing us up. We then witnessed a huge gun blast on the same street as us and we started to run. It was terrifying because we’re not used to that and we were still lost. We eventually made it back to the apartment. As we were sleeping we kept hearing what sounded like gunshots. We had picked this location because the host said it was very safe. I told him about our experience and he is trying to say it was fireworks. I looked up crime in the area and it’s supposed to be one of the safest areas. I’m curious about the crime. My friend and I are wondering if we possibly walked into a different area with higher crime.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 02:30 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,286 times
Hi there.

You should probably know that Washington Heights *is* Manhattan. So you didn't take the train into Manhattan, you already were in Manhattan.

As far as the safety of Washington Heights is concerned, I have no idea. I just wanted to point out that you were actually in Manhattan to you, just in case you wanted to know.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:34 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
There actually are a lot of fireworks in NYC around this time, so that's plausible

Old 07-04-2018, 02:59 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,013 times
I live in Washington Heights and I can assure you they were fireworks.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:40 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times
u know its july 4th week right.

I'm curious though, which blocks/avenues are hot in WH ?

Old 07-04-2018, 05:56 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Probably were fireworks. If people were screaming and running from the point of impact (which I doubt) then those were shots. Washington Heights has a lot of white people that live there so I doubt u stuck out unless you acted like a tourist with each block you were on. (Walking slow, looking at everything a in 180 degree motion)

Old 07-04-2018, 06:20 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Hi there.

You should probably know that Washington Heights *is* Manhattan. So you didn't take the train into Manhattan, you already were in Manhattan.

As far as the safety of Washington Heights is concerned, I have no idea. I just wanted to point out that you were actually in Manhattan to you, just in case you wanted to know.

I co-sign this post. Washington Heights IS Manhattan.

To answer your question OP, Washington Heights overall isn't as bad as it used to be. Generally, if you mind your own business and if you're not apart of any gang or street activity, the most Latino gangs (mostly and mainly Dominican) will leave you alone. Its a lot better than it once was back in the 90's and early 2000's. It's not the safest area in NYC and can certainly be sketchy but again, for the most part just be on your P'S and Q's.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:22 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times
If you're still in Washington Heights, you should check out the oldest standing bridge in NYC and one of the few pedestrian bridges around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rleD04khDpk&t=568s

Old 07-04-2018, 09:14 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
Fireworks. You’ll hear them every night all this week. Washington Heights is a hell of a lot safer than midtown. And is a part of Manhattan.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:30 AM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times
OMG, yes, definitely fireworks! When I lived in Inwood/ Washington Heights, I knew since back in the day, I would not get any sleep on the week of 4th of July!

People used to tie huge lines of small firecrackers together and they would explode for hours on end. The sound would be accompanied by bomb-like other fireworks! It made it sound like there was a war going on, and I am not exaggerating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: