Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2017, 06:28 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times

Advertisements

In '76 I was living in Jersey City Heights but frolicking in Manhattan weekends, and really never gave the murders a second thought.
I guess 6 murders in a City of 6 million gives me pretty good odds of survival.

(Necking in a park has never been much of a thing for me.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 10:58 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,081,883 times
I don't think he alone committed all the murders. There was an early sketch that looked nothing like him. One of his early shootings happened near me in a quiet residential part of Floral Park, Queens which really was not near much of anything. What brought him out there? If he was looking for young women it's not an area where you would find a lot of them walking or hanging out in parked cars. I think there are a lot of unanswered questions.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:30 PM

2,982 posts, read 1,165,579 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p54dj4uHEoI

Old 08-07-2017, 10:09 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,764,531 times
Okay. Just saw the documentary. It was very interesting to hear from the victims, their families, the policemen, and the reporters investigating at the time; to hear their perspective. I could've done without the reading from his incoherent, rambling, manifesto however. (That was boring).

While watching the program and seeing the bodies pile up, I kept thinking this guy had the luck of the devil. How he got away with killing so many people from all over Queens, the Bronx, B'klyn (oddly enough he didn't touch Manhattan or S.I.) and never got caught red handed (other things led to his eventual arrest) is beyond me. This guy got around. No wonder why everyone was scared, mad at the police & wanted to take matters into their own hands.

I was also struck at how different NYC was back then compared to now with the astronomically high crime/homicidal rate, the dangerous, dirty subways (no wonder some of you are quick to point out that the current subway situation with the delays are nothing compared to how things were in the 70's), the number of burning buildings set by slumlords, the rampant looting during the blackout (there was hardly any looting here during the 2003 blackout), the Fraunces Tavern bombing by Puerto Rican nationalists, the general urban decay and blight juxtaposed against the glamorous, beautiful, in-crowd of the studio 54 set, the popular NYC nightlife back then (that ironically provided SOS easy prey). To have all this already going on & to top it all off now a crazed serial killer on the loose shooting up people. The song, "Shattered" by the Rolling Stones comes to mind. No wonder NYC had such a bad rep back then.

What a time to have been in NYC. And to be a cop and a reporter back then. Thought it was badass to have grown up in the mid 80's to early 90's here (Times Sq, Union Sq Park, Bryant Park, Hell's Kitchen, LES, The Bowery were all still dangerous) but it was nothing compared to the 70's! The only good thing I can think of is that it must've been more affordable back then and more "artist/musician friendly"? Some wish to glamorize that time but I can see why others say good riddance.

Last edited by Aeran; 08-07-2017 at 10:23 PM..

Old 08-08-2017, 05:54 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,627,689 times
It was a terrible thing, I only live blocks away from where Stacey Moskowitz was killed, it is still a little park area, right off the highway, a very nice quiet little neighborhood.

he should have been eleminated, decades ago.
shame on our judicial system!!

as far as the time being "glamorized", it was all we knew, thats how NYC was. As an adult looking back, although I was never afraid and did thing my sons will never know (lol), it was fun, but again, that's all we knew.

NYC is of course much better now, un affordable, but better......

Old 08-09-2017, 12:47 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-staten island View Post
He's currently confined in Sullivan Correctional Facility, a high security state facility in Sullivan County near Woodbourne,NY. I believe you could open the gates and he wouldn't budge, he's perfectly content there. He's very religious , no problem with staff, and generally accepted by his fellow inmates. He works with inmates who have learning disabilities so I guess he's found his niche. While he's eligible for Parole it will never be granted I don't believe, even in Liberal NY. Last I knew he skips the hearing, no interest in being released. He's infamous for his heinous cold blooded murders, claims remorse and seems sincere, not that anybody cares.He's content in his own world, lots of mail, visitors, media requests. His crime captivated the media, he was crazy as a fox, lucky to have been caught before more senseless shootings. When I last saw him in passing he was polite, said "hello sir" and kept moving.It struck how such a seemingly harmless looking person had ruined so many lives.The media should stop telling his story for ratings, he can't profit from it but they can.
Years ago I saw an interview with him and he was as you describe. I was a bit surprised by how eloquent he was and how he fully accepts responsibility for what he did.

Looked a bit like Richard Dreyfuss.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:16 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,133 times
I will never forget this! Summer of 77' was all about this. I remember during that blackout of 77' people were scared. They are running all these specials & talking about it now because yesterday was the 40th anniversary of his arrest.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:56 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Okay. Just saw the documentary. It was very interesting to hear from the victims, their families, the policemen, and the reporters investigating at the time; to hear their perspective. I could've done without the reading from his incoherent, rambling, manifesto however. (That was boring).

While watching the program and seeing the bodies pile up, I kept thinking this guy had the luck of the devil. How he got away with killing so many people from all over Queens, the Bronx, B'klyn (oddly enough he didn't touch Manhattan or S.I.) and never got caught red handed (other things led to his eventual arrest) is beyond me. This guy got around. No wonder why everyone was scared, mad at the police & wanted to take matters into their own hands.

I was also struck at how different NYC was back then compared to now with the astronomically high crime/homicidal rate, the dangerous, dirty subways (no wonder some of you are quick to point out that the current subway situation with the delays are nothing compared to how things were in the 70's), the number of burning buildings set by slumlords, the rampant looting during the blackout (there was hardly any looting here during the 2003 blackout), the Fraunces Tavern bombing by Puerto Rican nationalists, the general urban decay and blight juxtaposed against the glamorous, beautiful, in-crowd of the studio 54 set, the popular NYC nightlife back then (that ironically provided SOS easy prey). To have all this already going on & to top it all off now a crazed serial killer on the loose shooting up people. The song, "Shattered" by the Rolling Stones comes to mind. No wonder NYC had such a bad rep back then.

What a time to have been in NYC. And to be a cop and a reporter back then. Thought it was badass to have grown up in the mid 80's to early 90's here (Times Sq, Union Sq Park, Bryant Park, Hell's Kitchen, LES, The Bowery were all still dangerous) but it was nothing compared to the 70's! The only good thing I can think of is that it must've been more affordable back then and more "artist/musician friendly"? Some wish to glamorize that time but I can see why others say good riddance.
Another great musical take on NYC was Lou Reeds CD, New York.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:00 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,488,399 times
He still looks about the same.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:30 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,627,689 times
he is a disgusting human being and should have been hung, instead, all my tax dollars are going to his loser, sheltering and feeding him, and I have a problem with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City