Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2017, 01:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,890 times

Advertisements

My lease is up in 2 days, and I've been attempting to reach the management office of my building for 2 weeks and can't get anyone on the phone. I'm trying to ask them if I can stay an extra day since I'm basically clearing out a 3 bedroom on my own (everyone else left). There was extra rent on my account that could cover 5-6 days of rent, and I assumed it would save them the hassle of refunding me that money to just allow me to stay those days. The management company doesn't seem to care about anything as long as they're getting their rent. I've called dozens of times, and left many messages. The one time someone picked up, she seemed like I was annoying her and just said she'd get back to me tomorrow, presumably to get me off the phone. It has been a week and no one has called back despite my constant calls. I really just need 1 extra day since I get access to my new apartment on the 1st. Should I just stay that extra day and hand the Super the keys on the 1st after I'm done moving things to my new apartment?

I also need to ask them how the move-out process works. Do I need to be there while they inspect the apartment for damage for my security deposit? When do I get the deposit back? I already feel like they're going to give me a hard time about getting the deposit back since I can't seem to get in contact with anyone. I don't know what to do or how to get in contact with them. I would think about mailing them a letter but I don't want to cause issues because my past roommate who is on the lease sublet the apartment to me and moved out a year ago, and they don't know since I'm only listed as a "roommate" on the account so I don't feel like I have the right to be pushy with them. Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 05:14 PM

64 posts, read 145,932 times
Your best bet is to be there when they inspect the apt also take pics of the unite once you clean up unit.in case you end up in court

Old 07-30-2017, 06:58 AM

21 posts, read 16,389 times
I'm quite certain that in NYC the landlord has 60-90 days to return your security deposit, so it might be a while!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: