Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 03:26 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
So your saying that the Poconos is "full of crime" is really code for "full of minorities". From the first article:

"Like Brown, many here are part of a black and Latino migration from metro New York City that in the last decade tripled the ratio of minorities in Monroe County, Pennsylvania, near the Delaware Water Gap. As a result, the Stroudsburg area–almost lily white a generation ago–now boasts braiding salons, a Caribbean restaurant, and other amenities that once would have taken a trip to Harlem to find. The clientele are New York City municipal workers such as cops and transit workers, along with private-industry employees, who moved to the mountains looking for peace and quiet and big, cheap houses."
yes. in the same manner that your populists label is racist code for caucasian people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 03:30 PM

15,843 posts, read 14,476,031 times
A couple of points that need to be specified here. First, eminent domain would only be use for the infrastructure. There are already rail rights of way on both sides of the Hudson, so these would be used. Not need to take land for this. And there are already stations that could be used (Poughkeepsie, Hudson). They may need expansion. So maybe some land might be needed for that. But that isn't too big.

If the MTA wanted to build east/west light rail lines (and that might well out into the future), they'd need rights of way That would be a very legitimate use of eminent domain.

But the vast majority of the land use would be for housing development. That would be private. Developers would buy out the farms (as they have for decades), and build housing developments. So no eminent domain would be used for that. The state or county might have to override local land use rule (or pressure the local governments to change them) to facilitate the change from agricultural to suburban density residential use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Eminent domain is not exactly cheap, even for the MTA. Case in point the recent SAS construction where the MTA found out how expensive it was to move obtain property and or move people out of it.

If you recall early plans had a station on the southwest corner of 86th and Second (that red brick building where Gothic Cabinets once was ground floor retail). Well those plans were scrapped largely due to costs of acquiring the property and moving tenants (residential out).

Contrary to popular belief eminent domain is not a always a cheap land grab. The USC is still in effect and those owning affected property are entitled to just compensation. Given land values today even with ED obtaining things isn't exactly cheap.

*You* might consider property (empty farmland), but you don't own it do you? Stop being a bit so free in giving away other peoples property.

MTA settles Flushing LIRR eminent domain case • TimesLedger

$10M for displaced Second Ave. residents - NY Daily News

MTA is already drowning in debt, and seriously cannot afford to continue forever "floating bonds". Forget the exact number but a large share of current MTA budget already goes to servicing debt. That number will continue to grow in future years as more and more debt becomes due.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:28 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
yes. in the same manner that your populists label is racist code for caucasian people.
Lol! I didnt say it was racist. I said it was code. The racist part came from your own words. Didnt you first say "Christian"? How did that morph now to caucasian?

Old 08-03-2017, 04:45 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,226 times
Power commuter from the Poconos here. (Bronx born and raised) I drive to/from the Bronx, 125 miles each way. Same commute time as people coming from lower Manhattan some days. I don't mind it as I find the trade offs worth it.

When I don't want to do the long ride at the end of a long day I crash at my parents' house. I don't have children so it makes it more sustainable for me.
If you go to the NEPA forum there's a long thread about the commuter train extension. Not likely to happen anytime soon due to expense of very old and unused rail lines on the Poconos side requiring a huge overhaul at monumental expense.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:28 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Power commuter from the Poconos here. (Bronx born and raised) I drive to/from the Bronx, 125 miles each way. Same commute time as people coming from lower Manhattan some days. I don't mind it as I find the trade offs worth it.

When I don't want to do the long ride at the end of a long day I crash at my parents' house. I don't have children so it makes it more sustainable for me.
If you go to the NEPA forum there's a long thread about the commuter train extension. Not likely to happen anytime soon due to expense of very old and unused rail lines on the Poconos side requiring a huge overhaul at monumental expense.

Thing is besides the huge expense, for many reasons train travel between Stroudsburg, PA and NYC actually takes longer than driving. That is one of the reasons passenger travel between the two places via train began collapsing post WWII.

More of everything needed for Scranton-to-NYC passenger train - News - The Times-Tribune

Old 08-04-2017, 04:35 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
/\/\

Plus people are willing to tolerate the bus ride from NEPA to the greatest extent thry can:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2008/01/2...ww.google.com/

Old 08-04-2017, 07:42 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Hell, I have deer in my back yard too, and I'm doing half the commute even during Summer of Hell. No bald eagles but would you accept a bunch of buzzards? Only 1/3 acre but at least I get to see it now and then.
We got deer, rabbits, woodchucks, ospreys, chipmunks and red-tailed hawks. A 35 min ride from 42nd st (Grand Central). Sorta amazing actually.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:07 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Where did you get the idea that the article was whining about long commutes, as opposed to just reporting a trend?
I was referring people in general. NYT and the legacy media tries to sensationalize nonsense old news

Old 08-04-2017, 07:27 PM

6,687 posts, read 6,031,429 times
Quote:
So your saying that the Poconos is "full of crime" is really code for "full of minorities". From the first article:

"Like Brown, many here are part of a black and Latino migration from metro New York City that in the last decade tripled the ratio of minorities in Monroe County, Pennsylvania, near the Delaware Water Gap. As a result, the Stroudsburg area–almost lily white a generation ago–now boasts braiding salons, a Caribbean restaurant, and other amenities that once would have taken a trip to Harlem to find. The clientele are New York City municipal workers such as cops and transit workers, along with private-industry employees, who moved to the mountains looking for peace and quiet and big, cheap houses."
I am not saying that. The writer of the article may or may not be giving that impression but it says the area is filled with crime.

Relax, I'm not the sort of person who thinks race makes us criminal. Trust me when I tell you, I have lived in the Midwest (not my choice but my ex husbands) - albeit not for a long time, and have seen white trash meth heads in the making. Undesirable neighborhoods come in all colors! Believe me when I tell you.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:49 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
There are many folks that work in NYC but live in VA, MD, or CO and visits NYC main office maybe once a month.

$250k buys a lot of house elsewhere while collecting a NYC salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City