Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 02:20 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Difference is Greenpoint was much more industrial. In fact, can still see such buildings today, which gives the area a certain grittiness or whatever. Regardless, in terms of gentrification, cannot fathom why individuals are paying such exorbitant rents to live in such a transit-starved neighborhood.
Because it is between Williamsburg and LIC, two of the most booming neighborhoods outside of Manhattan.

Some of these old industrial buildings have a ton of potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 02:29 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,714,563 times
Quote:
Difference is Greenpoint was much more industrial
yup, and is now one of the currently most polluted places in NYC

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...ed-out-new-map

http://nag-brooklyn.org/toxicity-map/

Old 08-03-2017, 02:32 PM

264 posts, read 238,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Okay, I haven't been in Bed Stuy for about 10 years. Just recently went there again albeit to the western part bordering Clinton Hill: Franklin Ave, Bedford Ave, etc.
It is really astonishing to me how much it has gentrified!
I literally see more white people than black people there.
And tons of juice bars, organic groceries, coffee shops, etc, etc.
I never saw a neighborhood gentrify so fast and so extensively.
Yes, the neighborhood is "nice", but must all neighborhoods in NYC look exactly the same and lose their distinctive characters?
I am just wondering how the locals feel about the huge transformation of their neighborhood.
Most of the "locals" would prefer to beg for a job or receive social services rather than start their own businesses. Additionally, the "locals" truly hate supporting black owned businesses, therefore the "locals" should be displaced for being so complacent w/ their own demise.

When you don't own anything, it's not truly your community or neighborhood. Compare the "locals" situation in Bedstuy, to the "locals" position in Sag Harbor, NY. Both are black, but the former doesn't have anything, while the latter owns their own homes, until of course they choose to sell. Since they OWN their homes, they don't have to worry about being displaced.

Quote:
https://hamptons.curbed.com/2015/1/2...rican-american

Oprah Winfrey Network, make sure to catch "Sag Harbor," a fascinating look at the town, featuring an interview with residents B. Smith and her husband Dan Gasby. The tight knit African-American neighborhood enclave of Sag Harbor was established as a refuge from racism in the early twentieth century. But recently, real estate prices in Azurest, Ninevah Beach and Sag Harbor Hills have skyrocketed. Now younger generations, inheriting property from their parents and grandparents, face a dilemma: to sell or not to sell? "Sag Harbor" profiles a community at a crossroads, but one that truly values family and tradition.

The same situation that has occurred in Bed Stuy, will soon occur in Baltimore. Currently, there are homes selling for less than 5K! I am in the process of purchasing 2 townhome investment properties in Baltimore, before the light-rail is built between Baltimore and DC. Once the light rail is built, it will be nearly impossible to afford anything in Baltimore. Now is the time for the "locals" to scrape together their money and take ownership of the neighborhood, but of course, most will not do such a thing... In a few years, the locals will be displaced, and I won't shed any tears.

Last edited by LovelySummer2020; 08-03-2017 at 02:46 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 03:07 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
yup, and is now one of the currently most polluted places in NYC

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...ed-out-new-map

Nag-Brooklyn map
NYC is geographically small, so its all one polluted place. Similarly, Park Slope is right next to Gowanus. Air quality wise, I think the South Bronx and Bushwick topped the list as being the worst. Cancer rates in Greenpoint are no materially higher than that of other Brooklyn neighborhoods.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:05 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
why is everyone's catchphrase lately "Am here to tell you..."
Some people have Asperger's, but can still be quite functional in society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Am here to tell you that certain blocks in Greenpoint can rival any other block in Brooklyn from an architectural perspective.
I completely agree with that, though those are pretty small parts of the neighborhood overall. Those parts that are nice are definitely some of the most picturesque on a human, walking scale.

Quote:
Couldn't be more wrong. Those families have plowed everything into their mortgage and in no way shape or form will have the extra $30,000 per year per child on top of that to send kids to private school

The ones that can afford private schools are not moving to Bed Stuy, they are moving to Manhattan
That's not totally true--I definitely know two couples that bought in Bed-Stuy because they love the idea of owning the entire building with a decent yard which is something that not even some of the well-to-do enough to afford private schools for children can do within Manhattan.

Quote:
Things to keep in mind for Bed Stuy, Bushwick, etc.. gentrification, NYCHA houses are not going anywhere. So depending on where families move in their kids are going to go to school with kids from the projects. That's a dealbreaker for families in those school zones and instead you'll be seeing only singles & young couples
Another thing to keep in mind is that the roughness and/or demographics of NYCHA can sometimes change as has happened in the past. Sometimes in a way that makes crime go down and the kids in the zoned public schools a bit less little craps.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:43 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,920 times
Walking down Macon St. >>anywhere in Greenpoint.

The brownstones are absolutely beautiful, brooklyn heights/Prospect heights can only rival it.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:44 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Also Sunnyside and Jackson Heights, although they were never as rough of neighborhoods. But then again neither was Park Slope.
Actually Park Slope was pretty hood back in the 70s and 80s from what I've heard from people that lived in Brooklyn during that era...I really don't see neighborhoods like Ridgewood, Sunnyside, or Jackson Heights as being gentrified though, because they were never really poor neighborhoods. People that moved to Ridgewood, Sunnyside or Jackson Heights 15 years ago were not paying pennies on the dollar to move in.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-03-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Hey Mod...I know you like maps too. I came across this functionality on the NYC GIS where you can select from the map type on the top right corner arial views from say the '20s, '50s, '80s, etc... For example you can see Bushwick in the '50s it had buildings on blocks, that in the '80s got burned down, and then rebuilt in the '90s.

NYCityMap • DoITT • City-Wide GIS
Cool, thanks

Old 08-03-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Difference is Greenpoint was much more industrial. In fact, can still see such buildings today, which gives the area a certain grittiness or whatever. Regardless, in terms of gentrification, cannot fathom why individuals are paying such exorbitant rents to live in such a transit-starved neighborhood. Bringing this one back on home, am not shocked in the least that Bed-Stuy is gentrifying so rapidly. Was bound to happen sooner or later.
I agree with you, I'm not sold on why people are paying so much to live in Greenpoint. To me the neighborhood does not reflect the pricing. Public transportation sucks, the housing stock is outdated for the most part, parking is almost non-existent, and the neighborhood has a lot of old-time residents that love alcohol and cause scenes in public. There are a few nice blocks, Guernsey Street being one of them I know from being there before, but overall not my cup of tea.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:50 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,920 times
I made a post ln 2015 about bed stuy gentrification and all the same people kept on saying its far away from gentrification. Even all the way to ralph avenue is seeing rapid gentrification and development. Home prices are still steady and rising. Most of all, the brownstones/brickhomes sells the neighborhood, and of course its cool. Bed-stuy is huge so it still has ways to go, but people are even buying homes on GATES AVE. Anybody from brooklyn, know how rough gates is. Fulton St. is going to look very different in 5 years. I even call it on Atlantic Avenue passed the barclays, the auto shops and commercial shops will be gone and replaced with housing/retail. Once the Atlantic Yards is done, Brooklyn is heading into a whole new world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City