Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 04:01 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times

Advertisements

Yeah take the bus or the train like a normal person. The tolls are high for a reason. The government doesn't want random day trippers to drive into the CBD of Manhattan and cause even more congestion than there already is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 04:23 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I'm frankly delighted that the tolls serve as a deterrent to those planning to drive into Manhattan. It's crowded enough with cars.
just another odd assumption!
just what makes you assume that every car that crosses a bridge or tunnel is headed into manhattan?

Old 03-13-2008, 04:24 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Yeah take the bus or the train like a normal person. The tolls are high for a reason. The government doesn't want random day trippers to drive into the CBD of Manhattan and cause even more congestion than there already is.
who decides what is normal? you? I don't think so

Old 03-13-2008, 04:50 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
just another odd assumption!
just what makes you assume that every car that crosses a bridge or tunnel is headed into manhattan?
No, it's not an 'odd assumption.' MOST of the bridges and tunnels with tolls (except for the Whitestone/Throgs Neck bridges) connect somewhere with Manhattan. Makes complete, logical sense.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:02 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
look. We all hate tolls, but they are a necessary evil. With out them, people would just cram the city with SUVs; Manhattan doesn't need that kind of congestion. Like I always say, Manhattan is just a tiny island of over 1.5 million people (more than the city of Philadelphia). That population explodes to more than double that amount during the average work day (more than Chicago). Public transportation is the only viable way of getting around NYC (especially the borough of Manhattan.) NYC has more mass transit than anywhere in America. If you don't like shelling out 8 bucks for a toll, don't drive to New York; it is that simple. Tolls help pay for infrastructure, too. We all don't want to see the GEB, Lincoln, Holland, etc go to the wayside.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:38 PM

757 posts, read 3,363,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioHead View Post
haha yea welcome to nyc - you can thank spitzer (ny) and corzine (nj) for their stupidity!
Oh, come on! My family moved to NJ in 1955, and wheneve we came to the city to visit Grandma, we paid a toll to enter the Lincoln Tunnel coming in, then again to leave going back. In 1955, Corzine and Spitzer had nothing to do with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioHead View Post
Whats ironic to me is how after 9/11 people were offering dicounted tickets on broadway and nyc government officials were begging pple to come to town, now its the complete opposite!
No, we have entered an inflationary cycle, and prices are just rising. You can still find good discounts to theater and concerts. Plenty of on-line services like Playbill.com, TicketWatch, BroadwayBox, TheaterMania, etc., etc., etc.

You want to avoid a toll? Come in on a train or a bus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I'm frankly delighted that the tolls serve as a deterrent to those planning to drive into Manhattan. It's crowded enough with cars.
Really. It's less expensive, especially after figuring in for the garage. People can use the travel time constructively (working, reading, knitting, even watching videos on their phones) instead of cursing at the traffic which they are contributing to. And they do just a little bit to cut down on pollution, global warming and demand for (therefore price of) gasoline. It all adds up.

As for congestion pricing, the entire bridge/tunnel toll is deducted from the cost of entering the zone, so it's not a double whammy, even though I think it probably should be.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:18 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,213 times
haha NO TOLLS ARE YOU SERIOUS. It would take 8 hours to get from Morristown to Hempstead on a Saturday.

Tolls are not only implemented for revenue, but also for economic reasons. Remember, everyone values a trip on a toll road/bridge/tunnel differently to their individual situation. If a toll doubles, a joyrider may say forget about it but the commuter will pay no matter what. Raising tolls weeds out those who do not need to travel on a toll road, therefore traffic decreases and those who NEED the road have an easier commute.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:14 PM

8,691 posts, read 11,078,805 times
if tolls cost so much, why are the DAMM TUNNELS STILL JAMMED UP THE WHAAZOOO?!?!!?

I wonder if gas hits $10 a gallon, will there be lotsa cars on the road? I bet we all still sit in massive trafiic jams.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:25 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,583 times
If $10 a gallon takes hold we will be worrying about far worse things than traffic. And for the record, I think ALL bridges and tunnels should be at whatever cost to ensure that people take mass transit and stop driving into the city. The whole area should be one big fussgangerzone.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:25 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
If $10 a gallon takes hold we will be worrying about far worse things than traffic. And for the record, I think ALL bridges and tunnels should be at whatever cost to ensure that people take mass transit and stop driving into the city. The whole area should be one big fussgangerzone.
i actually think all tolls should be imposed on anything going/leaving manhattan......of course i would miss the 59th street bridge but hey i would just charge it to the game.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City