Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 08:29 PM

11 posts, read 13,719 times

Advertisements

Is this a Queens, Manhattan thing? I recently completed an internship with someone from Brooklyn and we often took the same bus. Along with being confused about why Queens uses different neighborhoods for mailing addresses instead of just Queens, NY, she was really shocked that people actually line up for the bus. She said one time, the line for the bus was pretty long and instead of going to the back of the line, she just stood at the front and got on when the bus came. I've lived in Queens all my life and often get people from other boroughs say Queens is just weird in general. Are we really lol? Is lining up for the bus not done in Brooklyn or the Bronx or Harlem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 08:39 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
Yes. What is with numbered streets named "road"?

"85th Road". WTF?

Old 08-12-2017, 08:43 PM

11 posts, read 13,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Yes. What is with numbered streets named "road"?

"85th Road". WTF?
This isn't done anywhere else in the city?

That seems so normal to me lol. I guess we are weird

Old 08-12-2017, 08:45 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Lining up for the bus was one of my favorite things about living in Queens. It involved etiquette and camaraderie. I miss Queens.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:46 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Definitely weird. I think New Yorkers are used to making a beeline for the bus...not lining up for it.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:59 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickqueen View Post
Is this a Queens, Manhattan thing? I recently completed an internship with someone from Brooklyn and we often took the same bus. Along with being confused about why Queens uses different neighborhoods for mailing addresses instead of just Queens, NY, she was really shocked that people actually line up for the bus. She said one time, the line for the bus was pretty long and instead of going to the back of the line, she just stood at the front and got on when the bus came. I've lived in Queens all my life and often get people from other boroughs say Queens is just weird in general. Are we really lol? Is lining up for the bus not done in Brooklyn or the Bronx or Harlem?
I've lived in Queens all my life too, but people only act orderly for the bus in Jamaica....the bus culture is strong in that part of Queens. Around my way, people don't line up for the bus. Its always like a little crowd at the bus stop. I actually find the lining up thing kind of weird since I'm not used to it. Even sometimes I take the 52 from Jamaica Avenue & Woodhaven, people don't line up over there either......I think it's a strictly Jamaica (last stop on the E) thing.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-12-2017, 10:10 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,506 times
They line up in Flushing too, the terminal bus stops anyway.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:19 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
You have to take the bus from the end of the 7 line in Flushing to really learn to love lining up. The lines can be very, very long and overlap the lines for the next bus on the block. It would be mayhem and pandemonium to gather in a group and in bad weather it works much better to understand the line. When I first moved to Manhattan I couldn't believe how rude people were.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:37 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,606 times
Anytime I've taken the bus in Manhattan, the Bronx or Queens (have had no reason to take the bus in Brooklyn or SI), there's been an orderly line and people respect it. And if someone tries to move to the front, there'd be hell to pay. I sure as hell am not letting someone get in front of me on line, but I don't let people in front of me on line anywhere. Screw that....don't be a dick and I won't treat you like one.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:30 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Anytime I've taken the bus in Manhattan, the Bronx or Queens (have had no reason to take the bus in Brooklyn or SI), there's been an orderly line and people respect it. And if someone tries to move to the front, there'd be hell to pay. I sure as hell am not letting someone get in front of me on line, but I don't let people in front of me on line anywhere. Screw that....don't be a dick and I won't treat you like one.
Have seen bus lines all over. In Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan and the Bronx. Depends on the situation. Usually at first stops, can see people forming a line. Have seen it at the Staten Island Ferry. Have seen it in Manhattan for one reason or another at stops like the Port Authority along 42nd street, and in Queens where people get off of the subway or whatever and then need to take a local bus home. Aside from that those that use the express buses tend to make lines. Seems to be a more orderly civilized way to do things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: