Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 11:02 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofllknowledge View Post
Irish speak Gaelic as well.
>1% of Irish speak Gaelic in everyday life (though due to an admirable education program, ~40% have some ability in the language)

The revival of the spoken language, which was near extinct, did not get underway until the turn of the 20th century so the vast majority of Irish immigrants to America, historically, spoke only English.

I grew up about 5 blocks north of Woodlawn and knew a ton of Irish, immigrants and children, and no one spoke Gaelic beyond Slainte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 11:09 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
My point is if you're constantly bragging about how great so other country is, how in the hell is anyone expressing love for America? Man was simply asked where he was from like the others, and after that it was all about the Dominican Republic and how beautiful the country is. Not one word about the U.S.
That's one person...

Old 08-17-2017, 03:45 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,469,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
We celebrate American culture by knocking down hundred plus year old monuments as if it really matters.
Those monuments represent Confederate culture, not American culture

And I don't think they should be destroyed but moved to a museum. They do not belong out in public.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:01 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Those monuments represent Confederate culture, not American culture

And I don't think they should be destroyed but moved to a museum. They do not belong out in public.
It is part of American history, but not a single resource should be wasted on them to be glorified in a museum. They should be out there in public view to remind us how far we have come. Let your dogs **** on them for all I care. Taking them down is trying to hide the truth. They do not deserve the attention, from both sides, that they are receiving today. They are not worth the time of day. We already won that battle. They are a symbol of how we won and how they lost.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:42 AM

19,026 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Monuments to defeated nations should never have been erected on America soil to begin with. A part of being accepted back into the Union should have been a requirement to remove all vestiges of the Confederacy, and the banning of further monuments or celebrations.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:31 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Monuments to defeated nations should never have been erected on America soil to begin with. A part of being accepted back into the Union should have been a requirement to remove all vestiges of the Confederacy, and the banning of further monuments or celebrations.
I kind of assumed these monuments were older than they were. But still, putting them up was the decision of state and local governments, not federal. Now its a symbol of their past ignorance. Everyday they should have to look at them in embarrassment, and never forget the damage they've done. But they definitely do not belong in a museum.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:55 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
My parents and I are immigrants. We arrived from the former USSR in the late 1980s. For the better part of my childhood I grew up in the predominantly Italian neighborhood of Bergen Beach. Many of its residents were 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generations Americans.

I would argue that my parents and I were more assimilated than many native born in the neighborhood.

We never claimed to be Russian-Americans. Just Americans.

We never claimed how we loved Russian food and how great it was.

We never claimed how beautiful of a country Russia was and how we loved to visit it.

It seems to me that to a lot of Americans, especially white Americans of European ancestry, assimilation has a special, utterly hypocritical definition.
Well...Italian food DOES have an appeal proven by the fact that most non-Italian-descended people in the USA have embraced it. Very few people get excited by the idea of going out for "Russian food", and I doubt that it will ever enjoy the popularity of Italian food.

You go on about your experiences with an Italian community and then generalize it to "white Americans of European ancestry", which is what YOU are.

Italians, on the other hand, spent a generation or so not being considered white by earlier American populations with northern European origins, and so perhaps that is part of the reason they banded together as a community and did not assimilate as easily as, say, Dutch and English and German Americans.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:15 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
That's one person...
Uh no... That's one example of people that do that constantly.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:51 PM

19,026 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Italian food has been pretty tightly integrated into mainstream American cuisine.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:21 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Italian food has been pretty tightly integrated into mainstream American cuisine.

Aside from pizza, no. Italian food is ubiquitous only in regions where there are large clusters of Italian immigrants. It's not as tightly integrated as German (hamburger, hot dog, apple pie), Mexican (taco, burrito), and African (fried chicken).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City