Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 06:45 PM

911 posts, read 1,127,892 times

Advertisements

Do you feel this way about St. Patrick’s Day? Or is it just latino parades that annoy you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 06:50 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,345,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
It's racist now to even mention assimilation.
My parents and I are immigrants. We arrived from the former USSR in the late 1980s. For the better part of my childhood I grew up in the predominantly Italian neighborhood of Bergen Beach. Many of its residents were 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generations Americans.

I would argue that my parents and I were more assimilated than many native born in the neighborhood.

We never claimed to be Russian-Americans. Just Americans.

We never claimed how we loved Russian food and how great it was.

We never claimed how beautiful of a country Russia was and how we loved to visit it.

It seems to me that to a lot of Americans, especially white Americans of European ancestry, assimilation has a special, utterly hypocritical definition.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:01 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,580,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
My parents and I are immigrants. We arrived from the former USSR in the late 1980s. For the better part of my childhood I grew up in the predominantly Italian neighborhood of Bergen Beach. Many of its residents were 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generations Americans.

I would argue that my parents and I were more assimilated than many native born in the neighborhood.

We never claimed how beautiful of a country Russia was and how we loved to visit it.
Maybe you and your parents didn't.
But plenty of Russian-Americans do.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:04 PM

104 posts, read 116,069 times
Quote:
You can "assimilate" and still participate in activities like a parade. You're allowed to have more than one identity.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:13 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,886,062 times
Quote:
I don't know that the neo confederates protesting in Virginia or Seattle want assimilation.

You should be happy that apparently lots of people aren't interested in assimilation. Don't you like your neighborhood just as it is?

Old 08-13-2017, 07:38 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,345,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Maybe you and your parents didn't.
But plenty of Russian-Americans do.
What's your point? I wasn't implying that others who also immigrated from the former USSR don't apply the same hypocritical definition of assimilation as many Americans of other European ancestry.

It simply seems to me that the concept of assimilation is used, by some, as q cover for their prejudice.

It's a known tactic across many historical periods. The Nazis claimed that Jews didn't assimilate even though, in reality, German Jews were hardcore in their German identity.

Jews in the USSR were accused of the same bull****.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:44 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,276,131 times
OP must be a typical Trump supporter. Oh wait, she's actually a fake white liberal progressive. Makes sense.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:48 PM

8,923 posts, read 4,728,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Have you ever seen the Irish, Italian, Brazilian, Puerto Rican, Cuban, etc parades? All of them have their flags and people wearing them, etc..
Yeah. And I avoid/dread the St. Patrick's Day Parade (Irish Day Parade) just as much as I avoid/dread the Puerto Rican Day Parade! Both are inconvenient, long, all day events, full of annoying, loud, obnoxious, drunk people. I don't care if it's a bunch of rowdy, drunk Irish people or rowdy, drunk Puerto Ricans. Drunk is drunk and I head straight towards the opposite direction from both.

Last edited by Aeran; 08-13-2017 at 09:07 PM..

Old 08-13-2017, 08:16 PM

18,941 posts, read 13,833,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You should be happy that apparently lots of people aren't interested in assimilation. Don't you like your neighborhood just as it is?
My neighborhood is American. I couldn't find another nation's flag flying if I tried.

Assimilation is heading back to your birth country to kill the people you left behind in a world war. Some immigrants do that, some won't. That's the ultimate test.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:22 PM

18,941 posts, read 13,833,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

It seems to me that to a lot of Americans, especially white Americans of European ancestry, assimilation has a special, utterly hypocritical definition.
You are to be applauded then, for your fellow countrymen don't show much interest in assimilation.

I live within walking distance of a Russian market. Its patrons are the furthest from an example of assimilation I could possibly offer. They're the only blight on an otherwise typical American working class neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City