Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2017, 01:40 PM

312 posts, read 268,195 times

Advertisements

On my back from upstate NY this weekend, I decided to stop by Woodbury Commons. It is one of my favorite outlets based on the wide selection of their stores (middle to high end). I've been about 3 times before but this last visit was extremely different than any other.

1. It was like Asian Invasion. And they were all rolling around giant, checked bag sized suitcases. I was so confused that I walked passed on of the luggage stores to see if there was a giant sale. There was not. I kept saying to myself, WTF is going on? Can someone please explain this to me?

2. I like to dabble at higher end stores to see if there are any decent sales going on (can hardly justify full price @ outlets). I was browsing at Salvatore Ferragamo and I saw these women (2 teenage and one a mother with her baby) dressed head to toe in a black top, black shirt below the knees, and black leggings with fancy flats. I originally though that they were high class society gals from the big city because they looked like Blair Waldorf straight out of Gossip Girl (headbands and all). They were carrying Tory Burch, Theory, etc shopping bags. But I realized most rich girls from the city wouldn't dare make the trek up to Woodbury. Too embarrassing. It then made sense. I remembered reading up on this community in New York state that comprised of almost all jewish people. I looked it up and Kiryas Joel popped up. Its 1/2 a mile up Route 6. But what confused me was how were these Hasidic Jews from Kiryas Joel able to afford to shop at all these stores? Isn't it one of the poorest communities in the US? 2/3 of the population live under the poverty line. I made a pretty decent living for someone in their mid 20s and can barely afford to pay sale outlet prices at stores like Theory and Farragamo. How were they affording to shop there?

Now let me disclaimer that I have no problem with the people listed above. I am sure they are all lovely. I am just curious because I had never seen this the 3 previous times I visited the outlet.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:50 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
They bring the suitcases to hold their purchases. Most of them are coming in on buses for the day so they don't have cars to put the bags in.

Don't even start asking about the KJ situation. It's pretty self explanatory. Rhymes with tell dare broad.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:07 PM

312 posts, read 268,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
They bring the suitcases to hold their purchases. Most of them are coming in on buses for the day so they don't have cars to put the bags in.

Don't even start asking about the KJ situation. It's pretty self explanatory. Rhymes with tell dare broad.
How are they getting away with welfare fraud? Sorry, I said it!

Old 08-18-2017, 02:14 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercheswold View Post
Please stay on topic. These types of discussions tend to degenerate into bigoted discussions. Not saying that you are a bigot, but that question has nothing to do with Woodbury Commons.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:34 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercheswold View Post
I don't want to get political so you can research stuff on your own.

Some people do have money, a lot of home health agencies and other businesses are owned by Hasidics in the area.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:40 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post

Good assumption. Yeah, they obviously wouldn't have cars since they just got off a plane from China at Newark Airport.

There are travel tour trips to Woodbury Commons from every travel agency in China. Woodbury Commons is more widely known in China, than it is in America.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:55 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Troll thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City