Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 04:29 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times

Advertisements

I couldn't believe it but, yes, I just saw it.

If you ride the city buses, you may well agree with me that the MTA always seems to be aiming for fewer buses, fewer drivers, fewer stops and shorter routes (often lopping off the end of routes, as they've done with the M5 and M104). So, what do they like to spend money on? Electronic tech toys!

I stopped dead in my tracks to see a sign on Lexington, with the arrival time, in minutes, for each of the three buses. The fact that it was a 13-minute wait for one of them shows right there that they should be allocating money to buses, not electronics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 05:15 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I couldn't believe it but, yes, I just saw it.

If you ride the city buses, you may well agree with me that the MTA always seems to be aiming for fewer buses, fewer drivers, fewer stops and shorter routes (often lopping off the end of routes, as they've done with the M5 and M104). So, what do they like to spend money on? Electronic tech toys!

I stopped dead in my tracks to see a sign on Lexington, with the arrival time, in minutes, for each of the three buses. The fact that it was a 13-minute wait for one of them shows right there that they should be allocating money to buses, not electronics.
Stop complaining. Most of those electronic bus signs are paid for out of the budgets of political leaders, whose constituents *ask* for them since they may not have cell phones. Those without such technology would like to know how long the waits will be as well. As far I know, the MTA doesn't handle bus stops. The DOT does. Should better inform yourself instead of running your mouth or whatever.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Stop complaining. Most of those electronic bus signs are paid for out of the budgets of political leaders, whose constituents *ask* for them since they may not have cell phones. Those without such technology would like to know how long the waits will be as well. As far I know, the MTA doesn't handle bus stops. The DOT does. Should better inform yourself instead of running your mouth or whatever.
Or your phone could simply be recharging. It is good to know if the bus is going to take a long time because if it is you can make alternate arrangements.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:48 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,438 times
I like that, though personally i use bustime app. Very handy, especially in the early morning when it only comes once every 20 or 30 minutes. Having the knowledge also gives me the option of an alternate route if its too long.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:52 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
i like this. the bus timetables they already have on 125th is actually pretty accurate

Old 08-20-2017, 09:10 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Bus timetables and digital tracking are an expectation in the 21st century.
San Francisco has had it since 1999.

If one can plan and operate to use transit, they are more likely to- and it can help control from breaking up bus clustering.

Uber equipped over 150,000 vehicles with live tracking in less than 5 years.

This is long long overdue- and encouraging bus ridership could alleviate subway stress.

The fact MTA has such limited public data and application usage is wasteful idiocy of a useful resource, not their start at implementing it.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:32 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
This is actually a good idea.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:18 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times
I like these as well. They recently went up at the Q69 stop at Ditmars Blvd & 31st St (the termination of the N/W trains). I use BusTime, but it's nice to be able to walk up to the stop and instantly assess whether or not I feel like waiting without having to get out my phone (I'm within walking distance but sometimes - most of the time - feel lazy).

I wish the digital countdowns were on all subway platforms as well. We don't have them at Astoria - Ditmars Blvd, and the N/Q platform at Canal Street (where I get off for work) has a display but it doesn't show the countdown. That's pretty annoying to me.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:55 AM

783 posts, read 576,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
This is actually a good idea.
It's not the idea of letting people know how soon the buses are coming that is the problem. The issue is that the cost of rolling these out to hundreds (not even assuming every stop will have one) of bus stops versus having a single application that people could use that does the same thing makes this wasteful. Not to mention the fact that you actually have to BE at the bus stop already to see it as opposed to checking on your phone and knowing that the bus will be another 15 minutes so there's no point in leaving your house or wherever you are to stand there in the cold for 10 of those minutes.

Also, for people saying that 'well, your phone could be recharging', so, what's your point? That doesn't mean that a more cost-effective method of making this information available shouldn't be implemented. It just means people need to pay better attention to how they use their devices.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:59 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The people that don't have cell phone ?? LMAO... Everyone has cell phones, even those that contribute nothing to society. This is a waste of money, as the subways crumble, at least the libs will know when their precious bus shows up, which in Manhattan traffic you might be waiting awhile...

"Those without technology" , what a snotty, elitist post...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: