Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 11:34 PM

32 posts, read 57,023 times

Advertisements

What if they call me and u say he will no longer live with me can they disregard him from the application ? Ir since I put him in the application I'll have to provide paper work for him ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 06:46 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,846,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camila0325 View Post
What if they call me and u say he will no longer live with me can they disregard him from the application ? Ir since I put him in the application I'll have to provide paper work for him ?
If you say he is no longer an applicant they will either wait list you or move you to low priority. This happened with me and my sister - she was able to get a lottery apt on her own. I was challenged their decision and it was overturned by HDC.

Keep in mind, I'd already interviewed and submitted my financials as a single occupant.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:18 AM

6,673 posts, read 5,992,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Yea, the debt ratio allow is like 33% of whatever you make now. If it exceeds that, you are likely to get disqualify.
This. You can have a 100K credit debt, but if you make a good 250K, you'll be qualified, if your income is within range of the apartment's qualification. (In other words, impossible).

Old 09-08-2017, 08:00 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,980,417 times
We both have credit scores well over 800, so never disqualified for that.
Howevber we were offered an affordable rental apartment at 57th and Ninth (One of the first such offerings by RELATED.) We were accepted and told to bring a money order for $X. We called later in the day to get the precise address and were told "the board turned us down" because they are not accepting anyone from New Jersey. THat was probably a lie but I am not sure whether RELATED took federal money for the building.

It STILL pisses me off because I think it was a case of homophobic discrimination. Yes, we saw a lot of that but it is hard to prove.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:22 AM

32 posts, read 57,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
If you say he is no longer an applicant they will either wait list you or move you to low priority. This happened with me and my sister - she was able to get a lottery apt on her own. I was challenged their decision and it was overturned by HDC.

Keep in mind, I'd already interviewed and submitted my financials as a single occupant.
Because the thing is he's credit is not good he has a few charge offs I don't know if that will not help us and disqualify us . But I we good on the income

Old 09-08-2017, 02:07 PM

6,673 posts, read 5,992,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Howevber we were offered an affordable rental apartment at 57th and Ninth (One of the first such offerings by RELATED.) We were accepted and told to bring a money order for $X. We called later in the day to get the precise address and were told "the board turned us down" because they are not accepting anyone from New Jersey. THat was probably a lie but I am not sure whether RELATED took federal money for the building.

It STILL pisses me off because I think it was a case of homophobic discrimination. Yes, we saw a lot of that but it is hard to prove.
How did this zany board not know that you guys were from NJ, when since the getgo that should have been found out?

Old 09-08-2017, 02:51 PM

4,759 posts, read 6,510,231 times
Camila, the rule is that once you hit SEND on your application, the application cannot be changed except for reasons like marriage (can add a spouse), divorce (can take off an ex spouse), adoption, birth, death, etc. Since "boyfriend" is not an "official" designation, I don't know how you could legally remove him from the application, short of death.

Just apply to lotteries on your own from now on. It's much less complicated. And he can apply on his own.

Also, google Marketing Guidelines HPD and read through that PDF. It's long but enlightening.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:18 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,980,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
How did this zany board not know that you guys were from NJ, when since the getgo that should have been found out?

Absolutely,
They sent us mail to our NJ address at least a dozen times before the interview: "Do you wish to remain on the waiting list? If so...blah, blah. So they knew full well exactly where we lived. I have probably received no less than 100 offers for RELATED affordables at my NJ address.

We eventually filed a discrimination complaint with HUD on another building (on the advice of Christine Quinn's office.) Although, in truth, a couple of people in HPD were very helpful...when prodded by the president of the City Council.

Without CHristine Quinn and her very able assistant riding herd over the building we are in AND HPD, we would still be in NJ. I never fought so hard in my entire life.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:36 AM

148 posts, read 129,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

HPD is acting like a MANHATTAN coop board

Old 09-10-2017, 06:48 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,348,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebirdistheword88 View Post
Has anyone been disqualified from an apartment due to credit? If so, what was the issue? I'm worried about being rejected due to my large amount of student loan debt. I'm not in default and never had a late payment but my debt is over $100k. I read that you can be disqualified if your total debt to income ratio is too high. My debt level is above that limit.
This is terrible of me to say and I might get struck by lightning but I hope you do get DQed . 100k in student debt and eligible for affordable housing?

Affordable housing is just a program to be gamed at this point. Why should the people of NYC subsidize your 100k in student debt with cheap rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: