Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 08:08 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
Yes I went to multiple Workforce1's and it was a nightmare. Read yelp reviews about the truth about Workforce1. Please do not waste your time there for long.
Your opinion on Workforce1 is odd since you recommended it to others in not one but two separate posts here. If it's so tremendously awful, why are you telling people to go there?

My advice is still the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 09:33 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Job hunting is tough but most qualified people will find something within a few months. For minimum wage jobs I'm sure the timeframe is even less.

Your blame for immigrants being the reason your can't find a minimum wage job is totally unfounded. Starbucks, CVS, Pret, Just Sald (just naming places I've been to recently) all have minimum wage workers who are clearly US citizens. Is there something in your work history that is preventing you from being hired? Also as someone pointed out, attitude goes a long way in getting you a job. Do the hiring managers pick up on your negativity which could be part of the blame? These are things you should ask yourself.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:43 AM

129 posts, read 270,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Job hunting is tough but most qualified people will find something within a few months. For minimum wage jobs I'm sure the timeframe is even less.

Your blame for immigrants being the reason your can't find a minimum wage job is totally unfounded. Starbucks, CVS, Pret, Just Sald (just naming places I've been to recently) all have minimum wage workers who are clearly US citizens. Is there something in your work history that is preventing you from being hired? Also as someone pointed out, attitude goes a long way in getting you a job. Do the hiring managers pick up on your negativity which could be part of the blame? These are things you should ask yourself.

honestly I don't think this person is serious. According to him is near impossible to get a job in this city. I mean you have to be an idiot or trolling if you can't get a job at a fast food place. I don't doubt a job is hard to find but the OP is acting as if it would be a miracle to find one, and blaming everyone else for whatever it is he is lacking.

You are telling me not one CVS would hire you? Not one McDonalds would take you? You can't be a bar back anywhere in this city? You went to every single restaurant and bakery in Manhattan and they asked you if you were a citizen and deny you work? Not one supermarket needed a cashier? Pfft

Old 08-22-2017, 09:56 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elicamb View Post
honestly I don't think this person is serious. According to him is near impossible to get a job in this city. I mean you have to be an idiot or trolling if you can't get a job at a fast food place. I don't doubt a job is hard to find but the OP is acting as if it would be a miracle to find one, and blaming everyone else for whatever it is he is lacking.

You are telling me not one CVS would hire you? Not one McDonalds would take you? You can't be a bar back anywhere in this city? You went to every single restaurant and bakery in Manhattan and they asked you if you were a citizen and deny you work? Not one supermarket needed a cashier? Pfft
Which is why I wonder if there something else going on. Having a problematic work history or a criminal record would make finding a job that much harder.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:00 AM

343 posts, read 254,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Your opinion on Workforce1 is odd since you recommended it to others in not one but two separate posts here. If it's so tremendously awful, why are you telling people to go there?

My advice is still the same.

Have you ever been to WorkForce1 before???

Here are some Yelp reviews for WorkForce1's in Manhattan:

"Holy cow just dont. I don't even have anything constructive to say here. This entire company is a waste of tax dollars. The staff clearly hate their job - which is ironic since there are literally 100's of people who would love to be in their position.

You are far better off going to Goodwill, your library, calling your friends for leads, having your friends review your resume, and going to indeed.com

Good luck on all your job searching!"

"I accompanied my friend her for her interview and waited in the lobby because we had to go somewhere immediately afterwards. Wow, I got to observe some really horrible things.

This place is an absolute embarrassment to the community and like everything public-oriented in Harlem, it's ran-down, underfunded, dirty, unorganized, horribly managed, and overall a complete mess. I know people of color neighborhoods of NYC (like Harlem) aren't recipients of deserving funds and decent facilities compared to if this was in Murray Hill but really this place needs help.

The staff seem to be more uneducated and unprofessional than the people they are interviewing. For example, the receptionists using the 'N word' and other nasty vocabulary in every sentence to her co-workers. This isn't the street, this is supposed to be a professional business environment.

And SHAME on Whole Foods for using this center to represent them as they select candidates. Absolutely disgusting. They shuffle people in like cattle here and tease them with ****ty low-wage jobs. And the worst part is some people desperately need the jobs but that doesn't make the practice right. Also FYI, the workforce one collects personal information on you even though you're there to interview with a separate company.

This place is so bad I'm actually writing the local district representative to express my concerns. Stay far away. No matter how in need/want you are of work, there are much better options out there."

"I have been to the Workforce Centers on Grand Concourse in the Bronx, this Harlem location, and the one on William Street for Healthcare. All I can say is avoid this horrible service at all costs! They treat you like you are 7 years old and incompetent when most of their workers fit that bill. One worker started to joke around with me inappropriately in front of the whole staff while they heard and did nothing. This seems to go on all the time there.

One girl just got up and left in the middle of the orientation session--she looked disgusted with the whole process. I don't blame her.

Most of the centers have only minimum wage retail or food service jobs to offer you no matter how qualified you are. The online jobs on their website are more promising as they are from employers in every field.

I have a master's degree so I thought that going to the new Healthcare Workforce location on Williams Street & John St would be useful. It was a disaster! First off the people in the waiting room were cordial but you could tell it was only a front for them basically doing nothing for you. There was a woman with her whole family there (including her husband and child--don't ask me why she could not ask them to wait outside for her to do her business--really professional). The staff wants people who have had 5 years or more experience in something they are looking for at the moment...like phlebotomy or CNN. If you don't meet those specific qualifications--they treat you like a number--very rude and dismissive and act like it's your fault. Typical employment agency B.S. They just want people to register so they can have a number for funding--after that they treat you like garbage.

They claim their online site job offers MUST call back people within two weeks with a response. I'm curious to hear if anyone has tried the online job search applications and whether they heard back from prospective employers.

I have gone to a lot of these city agencies that claim to give you training/and or job opportunities and when you actually go there--you figure out it is a run around and a phenomenal waste of time and they do not care since they are only looking for numbers. Some places switch the routine and tell you they will give you a job if you PAY for the training/certificate. It is a scam to get your money and then who knows if they even get you a job afterwards.

Enough with these fronts! People need jobs not excuses. We expect more from city agencies.

Nobody likes to have their time wasted when they are sincere about looking for a job--especially from unprofessional staff that has a 3rd grade mentality."

"I've actually been to this place a few times and tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, even after reading the below reviews. As others have mentioned, they basically just collect your resume. I came to what I thought was going to be a one-on-one meeting with an employer only for them to collect my resume and application, telling me to come back the following day. I was already low on funds and felt like I wasted $4.50 coming up there.

One worker who works for Seedco fed me bs saying my resume was good and to email it to him because he had jobs that I'd be good for and the 2nd one said, he'd be in contact with me by the end of the day through phone or email so I could meet with Agata & Valentina. I never heard back from either. Even after I called the 2nd guy and left a voicemail with my name and number, he still never called me back.

You're really better off looking for a job on your own."

"I feel like I wasted my time here. The headhunters here kept sending me info on part-time food service jobs paying minimum wage - but I was already doing that exact same work for min wage and wanted to break out of that industry. The employees did not listen to my requests and eventually just stopped communicating with me. Suffice to say, I never landed a job through them the couple months I went back and forth."

"I'm not going to say much different from what the previous reviews have stated. I was looking for new work and did not want to pay my hard earned earnings to an agency so I reached out to Workforce for assistance and was told by some friends they found work with them so I went ahead and tried. Well I tried but it seems they did not keep their part of the work. The lady I was working with said we would sit down and create a more updated resume... she had issues scheduling for me to meet her, calls went unanswered and when she finally did get to me she requested me to send her the resume I created myself. I told her to let me know if it needed any adjustments and she told me no, she would keep it that way. When I asked her about listings or any new job openings that could fit my profile... she disappeared again and responded 3wks later. No Thank You, I prefer to do this on my own. I wont be dealing with Workforce again. My time is very valuable and I don't have time to wait for others."

Old 08-22-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post

Have you ever applied and gotten a job at Starbucks, CVS, Pret???

Those are not as easy of jobs to get as everyone thinks. Their HR departments hire very selectively.

When you go into these stores pay closer attention to what types of people they hire. It's not me.

The HR Departments for these places are like a fun house with smoke and mirrors and discrimination.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elicamb View Post

Have you ever applied for bar back jobs in New York City??? Do you honestly think getting behind a bar in NYC is easy?

Have you ever paid attention to who supermarkets hire for cashiers? It is 100% female only for Target, Whole Foods, and any other grocery store.

Again, stop with the notion that McDonalds is an easy job to get. Those jobs actually have benefits. I would love working for McDonalds. For some reason people think those jobs are easy to get. These corporations profile the heck out of people. "equal opportunity employers" is just a word for covering up the fact that they discriminate. Also, they look for employees that are easy to control.

Look, I am not going to apologize to you people for having a hard time finding a part time job in New York City. In my experience it is not that easy. I will have to continue trying and looking in various places and it will come to me eventually. I came to the wrong place for asking for advice.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:29 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post

Most of the centers have only minimum wage retail or food service jobs to offer you no matter how qualified you are. The online jobs on their website are more promising as they are from employers in every field.

I have a master's degree so I thought that going to the new Healthcare Workforce location on Williams Street & John St would be useful.
What's your degree?

My sister managed to get a job through WorkForce1. It was for a licensed health care position.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:38 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
I know I've seen a few flyers posted in windows seeking employees in Astoria on 30th Ave. I didn't pay close attention but if I see anything that might work, I will snap a pic and will post it here.

I wonder if the issue is spotty job history -- meaning job hopping and location hopping. One thing employers HATE is to hire someone, spend time and resources training them and then have the employee leave for something else.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:49 AM

104 posts, read 116,318 times
As a stop gap measure, you may want to explore jobs with companies like Postmates, Amazon PrimeNow, Wag or Handy. I've had a couple of friends who worked for these companies temporarily as they were looking for a salaried position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City