Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 07:21 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,897,832 times

Advertisements

what kind of job do you currently have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 08:44 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,809,811 times
They want people to work off the books. They don't like to pay taxes. Illegals are a hot employment commodity right now.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:08 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,269,567 times
OP, I have been in your situation of not getting jobs ostensibly because the level of jobs I was applying for seemed to only hire foreigners/POCs. And at the time I did not have the education of skills for much else and it was kind of an epidemic in the city I was in at the time. Employers want exploitable labor and white boys were not it.

However, if you are telling this story as some sort of race/anti-immigration bait, f*** off.

On the other hand, if you are serious, go to a major Level 1 security firm and apply there. They'll hire nearly anyone with a pulse and no felony for the last 7 years who can pass a drug test. You'll make more than $10/hour (though not much more) and can get some easy gigs.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:44 AM

343 posts, read 252,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
OP, I have been in your situation of not getting jobs ostensibly because the level of jobs I was applying for seemed to only hire foreigners/POCs. And at the time I did not have the education of skills for much else and it was kind of an epidemic in the city I was in at the time. Employers want exploitable labor and white boys were not it.

However, if you are telling this story as some sort of race/anti-immigration bait, f*** off.

On the other hand, if you are serious, go to a major Level 1 security firm and apply there. They'll hire nearly anyone with a pulse and no felony for the last 7 years who can pass a drug test. You'll make more than $10/hour (though not much more) and can get some easy gigs.
ABQ no need to get your panties all in a wad. Here in the USA we are barely even allowed to discuss race or immigration anymore, unless of course, you are an immigrant or something of that nature. Oddly, the only people in the world who are racists, are US citizens. It is just very frustrating and it is also very very sad to see this happen to our country. I am most definitely against illegal immigrants being here. Why? Well I have traveled dozens of countries and with practically all of them, if you overstay your visa, or if you sneak in illegally somehow, what do the countries do? They send the person to JAIL or ship them back to their own country. Because it is illegal. That is not racism. But here in USA for some reason we allow everyone to trample all over us. Also illegal immigrants take so many of our resources away from our own children. Our own children's educations and job prospects go to people who in many cases are breaking the law and belong in JAIL. More Americans (including South American, Central and North America) need to take a stand together and stop this.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:23 PM

926 posts, read 414,632 times
OP, I was wondering: do you have a special skill that you could make money off? For example, are you fluent in a foreign language? You could always give private lessons - no discrimination there.

Also, why not babysitting? It is a job, there is always demand for serious and responsible babysitters - and yes, men can be great babysitters, too.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:31 PM

926 posts, read 414,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
I am most definitely against illegal immigrants being here. Why? Well I have traveled dozens of countries and with practically all of them, if you overstay your visa, or if you sneak in illegally somehow, what do the countries do? They send the person to JAIL or ship them back to their own country. Because it is illegal. That is not racism.
Exactly! All these so-called progressives should try to come illegally to Israel (or any of the other Levantine & Gulf countries) and see what happens.
Of course that is not racism - that is common sense.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:03 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,561,250 times
Ever consider the fact that Trump is our president? This could be one of the reason why they could care or less about US Citizen. I am not trying to be politic here, but I think that's the reality here.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:19 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,522,404 times
Are you an American citizen? I ask because of the title of your thread- US citizen in NYC.

What's your masters degree in? If you have experience in business, why are you seeking seeking restaurant work? Do you have any experience in that field? Are you really presenting yourself the way that you think that you are? Maybe your resume isn't all that great, maybe your interviewing skills suck, maybe people can sense that you would be hard to work with. Yeah, NYC is a tough town to get entry level work because everyone is seeking to get a foot in the door. It's not lame to tell you that if you hate the city and can't seem to find work here that perhaps you should leave and see if you can find opportunities elsewhere. People do that all the time.

What is keeping you here, living with "poop guy" as a roommate and struggling to pick up jobs?

Old 08-23-2017, 01:43 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,377,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
What is keeping you here, living with "poop guy" as a roommate and struggling to pick up jobs?
He won't answer that. Just says he moved to NYC for work.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:26 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,073,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
There are two places in Astoria that I passed yesterday that have hiring signs up in their windows. The first is Brooklyn Bagel and the second is Bonjour Crepes.

The email at Brooklyn bagel got cut off but it's info@bkbagel.com
Besides those two places, I also passed a third one on the same stretch that just put out a "Hiring" sign. It's Gossip Coffee on 30th Ave.

But why am I bothering. It seems pretty clear this whole thread is just a rant. OP is not interested in anyone's suggestions. Clearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City