Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 03:08 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So why are you posting these posts? To scare people?

When the area was Italian American it's still possible he could have been shot. Tragedies happen all over the world. The people on Jersey Street are not animals, so you can stop with the racist codewords.

Of course it's unfortunate that ANYONE gets SHOT, but using a story of a shooting and using that to disparage ALL residents of an area is plain wrong.

Are you going to go to the next white nationalists rally? I'm not sure how they feel about old queens though.
It's funny because you don't know what you're talking about; again, as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 03:46 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Worked on the rock back in the early 80's. Enjoyed the people and atmosphere on route along Victory ,Richmond and Hylan.
One of my stops use to get free jars of home grown honey from the local church. The Mall was just built. Beautiful. Staten Island was an oasis. Charming homes,great schools and just so so clean. You would catch a whiff of sour milk from the nearby landfill once in a while. Eventually that closed was beautified and all you smelled was fresh cut grass from folks mowing their lawns. Did not like working in isolated pockets near Mariners or Stapleton. Witnessed Crime and poverty. Seemed sectioned off from rest of the island. Felt a sense of despair back then. Shocked and saddened to see news on TV of foreign tourist shot on Jersey st. not too far away from said location. Sad to think that after almost 40 years I can still catch a whiff of that sour milk in the air.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:08 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It's funny because you don't know what you're talking about; again, as usual.
Am in agreement. He can run his mouth or whatever, but that's about all he can do.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:09 PM

To a certain person, read; you might learn something that you didn't get from your fancy Ivy League liberal arts education:

Surviving on Jersey Street – Narratively

Jersey St guide, moving to St. George | StreetAdvisor

Cops name man sought in New Brighton shooting | SILive.com

23-year-old man critical after shooting in New Brighton | SILive.com

Large police presence in New Brighton on Tuesday | SILive.com

Repeat felon, who once beat murder rap, snubs 10-year prison offer in drug case | SILive.com

And so it goes...

Again you as not only an outsider but someone who thinks who he is doesn't have a clue about Jersey Street.

As others have said, yes there are some good people down there, but the overwhelming majority is *bad* to very bad.

If bullets were flying in your street to the point that you couldn't go outside without risk of being hit, this certain person would be up in arms. But since it happens in a place he knows nothing about much less has been to, that is a different story. Would love to put his behind in a Jersey Street projects apartment or even home in surrounding area. My guess is he wouldn't last a month much less week.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:14 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
To a certain person, read; you might learn something that you didn't get from your fancy Ivy League liberal arts education:

Surviving on Jersey Street – Narratively

Jersey St guide, moving to St. George | StreetAdvisor

Cops name man sought in New Brighton shooting | SILive.com

23-year-old man critical after shooting in New Brighton | SILive.com

Large police presence in New Brighton on Tuesday | SILive.com

Repeat felon, who once beat murder rap, snubs 10-year prison offer in drug case | SILive.com

And so it goes...

Again you as not only an outsider but someone who thinks who he is doesn't have a clue about Jersey Street.

As others have said, yes there are some good people down there, but the overwhelming majority is *bad* to very bad.

If bullets were flying in your street to the point that you couldn't go outside without risk of being hit, this certain person would be up in arms. But since it happens in a place he knows nothing about much less has been to, that is a different story. Would love to put his behind in a Jersey Street projects apartment or even home in surrounding area. My guess is he wouldn't last a month much less week.
*LOL* Am waiting to hear what he has to say.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannik508 View Post
Jersey Street is a straight up GHETTO and has been for many years. I live 5 blocks away and will not walk down there. Hell I don't even like driving thru there. It wasn't always like that. When I moved here in 61 Jersey Street was thriving with all sorts of stores on it. My first job was actually in the A&P on Jersey Street. Are there some good people down there? Yep there are and I know one who was shot on her front steps last year. She recovered and stays there still. A police vehicle even had a molotov thrown at it not to long ago. The building of the projects was the beginning of the downfall of the neighborhood and there is no relief in sight.

I remember that A&P from back in the day (1970's and 1980's), sometimes my grandmother shopped there. Also a few friends had one or both parents who worked there as well.

Also remember going back down that way in the 1990's (friends from Manhattan clubbed together and bought a house on one of the streets on hills off Jersey (Scribner?). They lasted about a year or so then packed up and moved right back out.

Columbia Meat market is still down there and does a good business, so that is a one good thing.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:43 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
NyWriterdude finds it more intimidating walking down Cross Bay blvd than Jersey st.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:22 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Unfortunately things like this can happen in our huge city. A lot of us remember the tourist Brian Watkins that got killed in Manhattan back in the '90s by a crazed lunatic with a knife.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-22-2017, 08:05 PM

On another note; notice how fast and easily the SI Advance was able to get an Italian translator on site to interview the wounded gentleman?

And people ask if there is still any sort of IA community on the Rock.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:28 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
And people ask if there is still any sort of IA community on the Rock.
Who's asking? Not so much North Shore, but very heavy Italian on the South Shore still, no?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City