Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 12:37 PM

8 posts, read 22,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc View Post
why 1950s and not now? with the hispanic ddp gang and recently one of the biggest drug bust of narcotics ring about a year ago...i think it is more interesting by asking ppl that currently live there now or current cops in that neighborhood.
very good question. I just love writing it and so i'm writing it.
but it's hugely popular now with publishers. take Megan Abbott, Sandra Scopettone, Edward Wright and many others.
thanks for your reply though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 12:39 PM

Default thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i think if somebody was a detective in the late 1950's they're dead by now, or on their way. not trying to be funny, but you're basing your book on the '50's and detectives usually arent young guys to begin with.
true. but I was hoping. anyway, I shall use my sources such as they are. thanks.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:40 PM

Default I didn't say there wouldn't be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I'm sure if a consulting fee was offered, there'd be more help.
Depending on the information of course. and it's depth, relevance--etc.
thank you.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:42 PM

Default thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
There's another website pertaining to Inwood and Washington Heights, dm me and I will give you the information. There might be someone on there that can give you a lead.
yes, I love that website. it is very helpful. thanks so much.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:44 PM

Default thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
Get in contact with the NYPD Detective union, they may be able to give you some info
very helpful. appreciate it.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:23 PM

6 posts, read 35,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
There's another website pertaining to Inwood and Washington Heights, dm me and I will give you the information. There might be someone on there that can give you a lead.

Discussion Forums - Index - Washington Heights & Inwood Online

Old 03-20-2008, 04:04 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
Anyone interested in NYC Police history/collecting can check out this site:

NYPDCollectorsCorner : NYPD Collector's Corner

Old 04-03-2008, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,625 times
im sure washington heights was a nice place to live before the dum in the cans moved in but that happens

Old 04-22-2008, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,441 times
Default Detective Bertram Scott

My father was a Manhattan Detective from 1946 - 1968. We lived in Washington Heights from about 1946-1952. I was very young at the time, and can't provide you with very much information about the Heights other than what I remember hearing relatives and friends talk about. In the 40's and 50's, the neighborhood was primarily an Irish and Jewish population. I remember going to local parks (Hibridge?) and riding on my Father's shoulders as he walked across the GWB and back. I remember the neighborhood as being clean and safe.

My Father became a 1st Grade Detective as a result of his involment in solving the "Mad Bomber" case. I believe George Metetsky was terrifying Manhattan in the mid-50's by making and planting bombs all over the city. As a result of examining Con Edison records and discovering that Metetsky was a disgruntled ex-employee, my Father was able to uncover evidence that led to the capture and arrest of Metetsky.

After a successful and rewarding career in the NYPD, my Father moved to Lake Havasau City, Arizona, where he became Sherrif and later Justice of the Peace. I hope this information helps you with your research. I would be very interested to hear from you if any of this information is helpful.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,357 times
Hi , My Father died in 1961. He was employed by Con Edison in the steam operations stockroom. He had told me that the mad bomber worked with in the stockroom. Eventually I got a job at JFK. The security person ( Mike Lynch ) interviewed me and said he was closely involved in the case. He also was aware of my name as my Father was also under suspicion. Hope this helps Joe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: