Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 08:43 AM

782 posts, read 523,029 times

Advertisements

I haven't heard of people loving midtown, but for many folks, it's convenient to work and many cultural activities like museums and theatre. The more residential areas are not in the heart of midtown but to the far west and east sides where it's much less busy. Actually most of midtown gets pretty quiet outside of typical work hours so the hustle and bustle is not really an issue for residents who work those same hours.

I think it's nice to be able to walk or take a short cab ride to work or to go downtown. Good for people who can afford it. And then you have a decent amount of newer buildings for people who want the more "luxury" lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 08:49 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,596,175 times
I don't mind it. Obviously I like downtown more as I chose to live there, but it's got its charms. I love Nintendo World, Book Off, a good portion of Midtown East and West, etc. Just the other day, I went barhopping on $2 Sapporo, $1 Soju, and some $1 domestic beer over around 52nd St and 2nd Ave. Rudy's is great too on 44th and 9th, cheapest coming out to $2 per drink with a free hotdog.

I could probably live around that 53rd and Lex stop or somewhere in Hell's Kitchen, but it's just a place of work and fun to me otherwise. Tourists sometimes seem a bit clueless, but I enjoy being surrounded by a sea of people. A big reason why I enjoyed NYC when I first moved here over 7 years ago was how I was enamored with how I could feel anonymous, not known by anyone, and I still love that.

Certain bartenders are remembering my face though. Shout out to my fam at Bar Kogi! See you in Miami <3

Old 08-24-2017, 08:58 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,253,078 times
I live in the northwest portion of Chelsea which would be considered "Midtown" by many. There are a plenty of neighborhood amenities such as restaurants and bars -- and the location is very central to where many people work. At times, I feel like some of the aforementioned places are filled with former frat boys and sorority girls but there are many choices. I walk to my office which takes quite a bit of stress out of my day.

That being said, it can be argued that there are more charming and less expensive neighborhoods to live in across the boroughs. However, you'll likely be commuting longer and I guess it depends upon what you prioritize. There are many parts of Queens and Brooklyn that are very nice that I wish I could transplant to Midtown.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:09 AM

343 posts, read 252,213 times
Every part of Manhattan has its own charm. I know what you mean by the tourists in Midtown but they are downtown and everywhere. In midtown my favorites spots are Bryant Park and the Schwartzman Branch Public Library.

Midtown is actually a better tempered and even keeled example of the "melting pot" of Downtown like all the fun places to eat and drink south of 14th Street. I think midtown has a diverse mix of people who are out and about shopping and working. People from all around the world.

So many people who live here in the city say they dislike Times Square. I can definately see why, but Times Square is an amazing centerpiece of NYC. Its thrown at people fast but Times Square contains a lot of information about NYC and the world around us.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:19 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,077,950 times
Who loves it?

Aside from being a workplace and having entertainment and shopping, it's a symbol of NYC to the rest of the world. Skyscrapers, Times square, ESB, crowds, Broadway, lights, etc. Tourist visit and know they're not in Ohio any more. Show that in a movie opening and people instantly recognize New York and they want to see it for themselves because they have nothing like it at home.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:45 AM

12,742 posts, read 8,183,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I don't know anyone that likes Midtown. For most people, thats where they work and where the tourists are. The two things most new yorkers hate.
Am in agreement. Midtown can have more room to walk compared to the very narrow streets Downtown, but other than that, most people that have to work there hate it. Food scene has improved a bit, but the tourists... My God. They are everywhere. The increase in traffic, people smoking everywhere and tourists has left little room to just walk and enjoy doing so. Some days, don't even leave the office. Used to be that one would go for a stroll or whatever, but do that less now. When it's frigid out tends to be when there are fewer people and when you can walk a bit or whatever.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:46 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,350,282 times
Never struck me as anything special. I get it's appeal, but there are so many better areas to hang out in.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:10 PM

252 posts, read 344,544 times
Thanks for all the replies! It's funny that so many people say they don't like midtown or don't know of anyone who "loves" midtown. Where i got that from was when browsing through an affordable housing thread for VIA 57 apartments. Alot of people that people who applied to that lottery and or were discussing about the buildings location, etc. i kept seeing comment after comment of..."i love midtown"...."midtown has my heart"...."such a central and good location this would be ideal for anyone"...etc.

I also see when people talk about amenities and i wanted to narrown down specifics on what people mean by amenities. I know people look for different things but is it referring to things like transportation? like distance to a subway, ease of enter/exit out of the general area, safety? resources? like hospitals, etc.

or amenities referring more to life style items like shopping, coffee shops, restaurants, night life...etc.

Anyways, whether you hate it, love it, like it, or whatever...midtown is midtown and judging by the many responses on here it's just a place that has "almost everything" in a general area.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:20 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,350,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logix1229 View Post
Thanks for all the replies! It's funny that so many people say they don't like midtown or don't know of anyone who "loves" midtown. Where i got that from was when browsing through an affordable housing thread for VIA 57 apartments. Alot of people that people who applied to that lottery and or were discussing about the buildings location, etc. i kept seeing comment after comment of..."i love midtown"...."midtown has my heart"...."such a central and good location this would be ideal for anyone"...etc.

I also see when people talk about amenities and i wanted to narrown down specifics on what people mean by amenities. I know people look for different things but is it referring to things like transportation? like distance to a subway, ease of enter/exit out of the general area, safety? resources? like hospitals, etc.

or amenities referring more to life style items like shopping, coffee shops, restaurants, night life...etc.

Anyways, whether you hate it, love it, like it, or whatever...midtown is midtown and judging by the many responses on here it's just a place that has "almost everything" in a general area.
It may have almost everything, but as mentioned it has no vibe and is pretty quiet. For a place to live, you could do a lot better in Manhattan.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:27 PM

3,093 posts, read 2,654,037 times
A lot of people in those lotteries have never lived in the target neighborhood, and probably not ever in Manhattan or the more affluent parts of Brooklyn. It's wistful daydreaming from the outside. But, also, midtown might look pretty darned good to me if the comparison was to, say, Brownsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City