Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 01:28 PM

954 posts, read 937,960 times

Advertisements

Make no mistake, if your talking an under market rent stabilized brand new luxury apartment, yes I would love midtown too!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 01:46 PM

500 posts, read 571,015 times
It's an OK area. I do like Bryant park with all it's free events, movies, etc. There is also a good concentration of top libraries (midtown, SIBL, main). Lots of events and resources in the area. I've never lived there but would consider it as you can walk to central park and much of the other parts of manhattan.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:49 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,058,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logix1229 View Post
Hello all,

Just a general question as a new NYC transplant. As always, most of my questions are for my own education to learn more about NYC.

So as I read various posts and browse through here, i noticed a lot of people say they love midtown manhattan. I would like to know what it is about "midtown" that makes people so attracted to it. Is it the culture? the shopping? the amenities? the neighborhood in general? Why does it seem like everyone either wants to be there, or live there?

Thanks!
2 places most NY'ers avoid as much as possible 1) Times Sq and 2) Midtown in general so don't know where you would get the idea that it's an area "everyone loves." As far as I know most NY'ers avoid it like the plague unless they have to work there.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:49 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,016,139 times
All my NYC dwelling friends hate midtown. The only ones who go there on purpose are employed there or the ones going to the occasional Broadway show.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:39 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,637,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logix1229 View Post
Hello all,

Just a general question as a new NYC transplant. As always, most of my questions are for my own education to learn more about NYC.

So as I read various posts and browse through here, i noticed a lot of people say they love midtown manhattan. I would like to know what it is about "midtown" that makes people so attracted to it. Is it the culture? the shopping? the amenities? the neighborhood in general? Why does it seem like everyone either wants to be there, or live there?

Thanks!
I know of no one who "loves" midtown. Midtown is simply the concentrated hub.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:30 PM

37,108 posts, read 39,303,730 times
I think it'd be pretty much impossible to find a universally loved NYC neighborhood. One great thing about NYC is that there is a very wide variety of neighborhoods, so it's possible for a large number of people to find at least one neighborhood they specifically like. However, since there's such a large variety of preferences and circumstances, it's impossible to find any neighborhood that everyone would like. It might be worth a separate topic to try to find out if there's one neighborhood that comes closest to being universally liked.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:03 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,004,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
I work on 7th and 49th - If I don't bring my lunch, I will go to the cafeteria or literally across the street in either direction to get lunch, other than that, avoid like the plague. For work, I would take midtown over Wall Street in a heart beat. I have that area even more.
You're kidding right? I work in the financial district and I would take Wall St over anywhere in Midtown everyday day, all day. Wall St is relatively less crowded and more convenient when it comes to public transportation. Depending on where one works in Midtown, you might have to hike several blocks to the nearest subway. Plus the crowds there are horrible and disgusting.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:15 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,245,328 times
midtown is the worst possible place in all of Manhattan.

the only people who are gonna like that area are tourists.

SoHo, West Village, etc. are far more enjoyable for locals.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:31 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,746,758 times
No New Yorker "loves" or even likes midtown. It is hell on earth full of fanny pack wearing tourists. The worst restaurants. Smells. The worst.

New Yorkers avoid midtown like the plague. Enjoy your $20 hamburger at Applebee's...

Old 08-24-2017, 10:40 PM

99 posts, read 168,460 times
I'm going to have to agree with Bugsy Pal on the 34th-59th st coverage of Midtown. When I was an adolescent, I counted mid town as the start of the huge toys r us on 34th and broadway all the way up to around where my mom works or the start of central park.

As for its appeal, it depends on which New Yorker you ask, for me it was culture. There's uh... this on 48th 5th & 6th: Nintendo NY - Nintendo World Store in New York City -- and the start of central park on 59th st and 5th by the stone chairs where my friends would sit on some Saturday's to do whatever. There's also uh, some hang out spots on Friday around 34th - 38th. One of them was called MAGE, but I wouldn't dare divulge any of these locations because my bros might see this. lmao. Mostly spots to play cards, not much. But if you want to extend it all the way to 14th, then there's forbidden planet on 13th street and the very obvious union square park on 14th. Us millennials have pretty much taken over these spots for a long time now, lol. A lot of these spots connect directly to a movie theater too. I used to work at the AMC movie theater on 42nd and 7th right after high school for a bit, so they kinda know me by now. Whenever I do pass by I just take the elevator to the third floor by the machines.

It's mostly a hub for tourists, but if you've been practically living in Mahattan your entire life, then you'll know the good spots. There's also a new Nintendo game coming out that's going to make our city look more reputable in October: https://www.mariowiki.com/New_Donk_City -- you guys should know this, since why not, you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City