Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 02:48 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Yes, someone is a wimp because afraid they'll get stabbed by a deranged person who threatened them. I'm sure that wouldn't have phased you one bit.

How about you patrol our subways 24/7 since the mentally ill don't frighten you Mr macho man?
Poked and stabbed are not the same thing. Never knew of anyone seriously injured when they were *poked* by a pen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 03:00 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
I do not understand why NYC has a proliferation of them in comparison to other cities.
Well, first NYC is a BIG city.

Second, population density tends to bring out mental problems.

Third, I glanced through the thread and didn't see it mentioned, but I believe there was some ruling or policy change many years ago that released a lot of them from institutions.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:03 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
Mentally ill > Beckies.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:21 AM

120 posts, read 186,388 times
This is part of city life. I've never felt truly threatened by anyone like this but I see it all the time. The best course of action is to not enter a dialogue, do not respond, pretend it isn't happening. If I felt truly threatened I would get off the train and wait for another or move to another car. I have felt uncomfortable at times but just be smart about it. My favorite part of city life is having public transportation and not needing a car. I'd rather deal with the occasional nut job on the subway than have to deal with crazy drivers, but I know not everyone feels this way.

I feel more nervous when I see someone interact with someone who is irate. Some people just don't stop and I worry it could escalate into a violent incident.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:48 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
i'd vote for concealed carry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Udp2R95y0
Thanks for sharing! I just got a woodie!

Old 08-27-2017, 09:35 AM

343 posts, read 254,557 times
The most effective defense is not looking them in the eye.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:45 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Back in the pre 2000s, people who could not deal with the rifraff decamped for the suburbs and commuted via commuter rail or direct bus. If you have these QOL issues then suggest you do the same.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:47 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
This is true! I left in 2011 and never looked back. Most people who love NYC are under the assumption that the abnormal is normal. It's just not normal to live with the stress that is everyday NYC life.
Excellent post!

Old 08-27-2017, 01:01 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
Some people, for myriad reasons, are literally stuck living in NYC and can't escape. You make it sound like it's an easy thing to do, it's really not. What happens when you don't know how to drive and can't rub two nickels together to pay for drivers ed as an adult? Sometimes I think free driver's ed courses provided by the city would help out a lot of people, but i'm sure people will get angry at that, and perhaps rightfully so. not sure what the answer is. Over the years i've made the unfortunate mistake of engaging with a few mentally ill (and some not mentally ill) homeless people. When I lived on the LES a very long time ago there was a man in a wheelchair who was very friendly at first until I stopped giving him change and then he would scream IM GOING TO KILL YOU and come racing toward me in his wheel chair. The look in his eyes made me believe he was very serious! Another time me and a friend of mine were chumming around with a homeless couple and then hours later after we went home my friend was like, ugh they stole my wallet. Okay, I kinda laughed at that, but still.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:52 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Pfizer and Merck decided they could make a lot of money selling the concept that that pills can cure insanity: THEY CANNOT.

They sold an antisocial government on the idea and the government opened the doors of the madhouses, handed out some pills, and Bedlam ensued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: