Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 06:58 AM

782 posts, read 858,543 times

Advertisements

My experience with such people on the train is that 99.9% of the time, they are all talk and won't actually do anything violent or harmful towards other riders. They just yell and make their threats, and I ignore them. If you don't engage them, they will more than likely leave you alone sooner than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Poked and stabbed are not the same thing. Never knew of anyone seriously injured when they were *poked* by a pen.
'Poke' is also street slang for 'stab'...so that might have been a bigger threat than it appeared. Either way, it's still just a pen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 08:06 AM

343 posts, read 254,377 times
In Hawaii, we have more crazies then any other place I have ever seen. Way way more compared to here in NYC. I mean for real.

One reason is crowded living areas like trailer park living which is more funky compared to crowded apartments in NYC but we have serious drug problems like meth. Couple that up with high rents and living near active volcanos, and Hawaii is insane.

My family is scattered throughout all of Hawaii but I prefer living in a remote area that is low income and closely in the path of an active volcano because the people are more authentic. Some of my family members can not tolerate living there because they get respiratory complications due to living near volcanic activity, and all the strange elements connected to the volcano. There are other areas in Hawaii that are easier on their health.

Haha but yeah NYC has a more hardened style of mentally ill people on the streets. I prefer not using the term mentally ill, and I think of it as having health issues with their organs and blood and such, plus they likely come from abusive and neglectful families. And some could have been successful at one time and smoked hard drugs once and it ruined them.

You never know.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:41 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
San Fran has WAYYY more homeless nuts than NYC. They are EVERYWHERE. I was riding the bus there last summer and some really smelly crazy guy got on, pulled off his pants and started smearing his anus all over the seat. He then got out at the next stop with no pants on.

The parks in San Fran are full of homeless and "scabbies" or whatever they are called laying around. The BO is crazy. They beg for money, but somehow all have a dog.
you are absolutely correct, in San Fran EVERYBODY is crazy - starting with the prius driving hippies now in their 50's & 60's who make every excuse to let the homeless do whatever they want. The hobos will hassle you up and down the streets and get extremely aggressive and the cops don't care

Philadelphia also has a problem, maybe not as bad as SF but worse than NYC. The problem is that DeBlasio is telling the NYPD to lay off so it's getting worse. The more the news spreads that NYC is handing out homeless services the more greyhound buses are going to pull up at the Port Authority with people with hands out

Old 08-28-2017, 08:45 AM

4 posts, read 1,942 times
Not everyone is Sylvester Stallone. You have a mix of elderly or simple moms taking their kid to the doctor. Young college students new to the city. We all can't be Charles Bronson.

All it takes is one wacko to shove someone onto the tracks. That said,..if you don't think you can 'take' them then best to avoid it. Not too hard. You don't have to 'get out of the kitchen' .

Move to the next car. Get off and get the next train. Stay around a crowd. Don't stand near the edge of platforms with your head in your phone. Stay on busy streets. Wait,..let them pass by,or turn around and go a block out of your way. travel during times where alot of people are around.

I saw some nut inside a bank ATM room screaming and swing his arms at the air. Guess what,..I didn't use that ATM. Seen plenty of homeless, mostly harmless,and just people down on their luck...but if you feel odd, then cross the street. Keep your eyes open and ears on. You can usually hear the warnings coming

And yes,.I would not say No to more police.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:07 AM

89 posts, read 74,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yet you post on here about it.

There is such a thing as nostalgia. One may have no so great memories in a bad neighborhood for instance, yet shared memories with other people still form a part of who you are. This is why people may look at a NYC site despite having left. Surely you get this?

Old 08-28-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Poked and stabbed are not the same thing. Never knew of anyone seriously injured when they were *poked* by a pen.

And that makes it okay I guess.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:19 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Back in the pre 2000s, people who could not deal with the rifraff decamped for the suburbs and commuted via commuter rail or direct bus. If you have these QOL issues then suggest you do the same.
Am in agreement. Either that or lived in the fringes of NYC in suburban areas where they could take the commuter rail or express bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timppa View Post
And that makes it okay I guess.
No, that means you don't become hysterical over what someone says. If one had a nickel every time that happened....

Old 08-28-2017, 10:09 AM

152 posts, read 109,726 times
NYC rule.....IF threatened, pepper spray first deal with consequences later. Better safe than sorry. Lots of crazies out there! If traveling at night by yourself might want to get a stun gun. Yes yes all of this is illegal in good 'ol NYC but, better to pay a lawyer than for your own funeral. And to those who say nothing really happens because these are just threats I say that is complete BS. I have seen enough with my own eyes. I have also seen people get beat up for picking on people or threatening them (always well deserved), there is always someone crazier or tougher - remember that!

Old 08-28-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Her_CC_Q4 View Post
NYC rule.....IF threatened, pepper spray first deal with consequences later. Better safe than sorry. Lots of crazies out there! If traveling at night by yourself might want to get a stun gun. Yes yes all of this is illegal in good 'ol NYC but, better to pay a lawyer than for your own funeral. And to those who say nothing really happens because these are just threats I say that is complete BS. I have seen enough with my own eyes. I have also seen people get beat up for picking on people or threatening them (always well deserved), there is always someone crazier or tougher - remember that!

A few weeks ago, on the R train approximately 9 pm, there was an EDP/homeless type who seemed drunk, on drugs, or both, and was yelling at everyone, especially at young women. All of a sudden, a younger "classic Brooklyn tough guy type" with the accent grabbed him by the throat, and said "you callin' me a fa-got! Huh!" He then open hand punched (slapped) him across the side of the head quite hard, stepped away, but decided to do it again, this time knocking the man's glasses off his head, consequently causing him to keel over for a couple of minutes. He did then sit back up, but was in such a daze that I doubt he'll remember what happened when he feels the pain the next day.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:59 AM

152 posts, read 109,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timppa View Post
A few weeks ago, on the R train approximately 9 pm, there was an EDP/homeless type who seemed drunk, on drugs, or both, and was yelling at everyone, especially at young women. All of a sudden, a younger "classic Brooklyn tough guy type" with the accent grabbed him by the throat, and said "you callin' me a fa-got! Huh!" He then open hand punched (slapped) him across the side of the head quite hard, stepped away, but decided to do it again, this time knocking the man's glasses off his head, consequently causing him to keel over for a couple of minutes. He did then sit back up, but was in such a daze that I doubt he'll remember what happened when he feels the pain the next day.
Haha damn. Well back in the day I was on a train and some cracked out guy decided he was going to lay on the seats and use it as his personal bed. He had the nerve to come closer to where my friends and I were sitting and try to put his head in someones lap. He kept saying how he was gonna f%^$ someone up and blah blah...you know crack talk. Well this Mofo got the a** whipping of his life. Next thing I knew, another (normal looking) guy grabbed him up out the seat and slammed him on the floor and told him to apologize. He got up and decided to attempt to get bold. Well he was put to sleep (like with a wrestling move) and was dragged out and dropped off at the next train station. Honestly I remember dudes checking these crazies on the train way more back in the 1990's. I miss those kinds of things, now a days it seems people are scared or are too busy being offended by statues and flags!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: