Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 03:03 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The man is only half Italian. Father was German, hence Warren Wilhelm Jr. Could have had a Nazi background.
Warren Wilhelm, the father of our mayor, was in the US Army in WWII. He lost a leg in Okinawa.
Plenty of Americans of German descent fought for the US in WWII. A German surname does not a Nazi make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 03:10 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Warren Wilhelm, the father of our mayor, was in the US Army in WWII. He lost a leg in Okinawa.
Plenty of Americans of German descent fought for the US in WWII. A German surname does not a Nazi make.
Mr. *Warren* is *very* proud of his German father and ancestry, which is why he *NEVER* talks about the German side of his family, and changed his last name to his mother's side of the family (*de Blasio*) because he *felt a stronger connection* with his Italian roots.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:32 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Columbus was up their with Hitler. He helped establish colonialism that led to establishment of the US government. The American government then led one of the greatest genocides in world history larger in numbers than the holocaust. The forgotten genocide of the Native American people's.

He was also just a awful and disgusting animal

He raped and butchered tainos for sport
Everyone that lived back then was an awful and disgusting animal.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:01 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Four pages and no one else has commented on this...

Trump Tower isn't really close at ALL to Columbus Circle.

What's the OP trying to say?

Old 08-30-2017, 05:05 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Columbus was up their with Hitler. He helped establish colonialism that led to establishment of the US government.
Sounds like a standup guy to me; I mean, I'm no fan of the US government, but they beat a lot of the alternatives. Anyway, Columbus died in 1506; Jamestown wasn't founded until 100 years later.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:07 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Four pages and no one else has commented on this...

Trump Tower isn't really close at ALL to Columbus Circle.

What's the OP trying to say?
One Central Park West -- the Trump International Hotel and Tower -- is right there. Not the Trump Tower on Fifth.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:37 PM

329 posts, read 299,168 times
Quote:
Oh I dunno about that. He also set the path for other explorers to discover land. Remember, before he set out to explore, many thought the earth was flat. As an Italian-American, xcan tell you that I celebrate Columbus or Colombo (Italian) or Colón (Spanish) if you like, and I've been to Genoa (his birth city) in Italy. Don't condemn him. Remember, he was Italian from Genoa, but he sailed for *Spain*. Doubt you have any issue with Spain though (your mother country). The Spanish were some of the most brutal colonists around, but we don't hear anything about that. They sure as hell didn't send their best to the *new world*. Most of the Spanish that came over were prisoners, rapists and the like, so if he's an animal, then so are your ancestors who so many Latinos *praise* from the *mother country*.
The way I understand it, this post is true

Old 08-31-2017, 01:19 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Mr. *Warren* is *very* proud of his German father and ancestry, which is why he *NEVER* talks about the German side of his family, and changed his last name to his mother's side of the family (*de Blasio*) because he *felt a stronger connection* with his Italian roots.
Just as I'm proud of my Scott's Irish paternal lineage right?

Old 08-31-2017, 05:49 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,195,814 times
Quote:
Oh I dunno about that. He also set the path for other explorers to discover land. Remember, before he set out to explore, many thought the earth was flat. As an Italian-American, xcan tell you that I celebrate Columbus or Colombo (Italian) or Colón (Spanish) if you like, and I've been to Genoa (his birth city) in Italy. Don't condemn him. Remember, he was Italian from Genoa, but he sailed for *Spain*. Doubt you have any issue with Spain though (your mother country). The Spanish were some of the most brutal colonists around, but we don't hear anything about that. They sure as hell didn't send their best to the *new world*. Most of the Spanish that came over were prisoners, rapists and the like, so if he's an animal, then so are your ancestors who so many Latinos *praise* from the *mother country*.
Of course you like Columbus. Italian-Americans for some reason feel that this is there contribution to the American identity.

And of course I condemn Spanish imperialism. That's ridiculous to think that Latin American people should worship their colonizers

But bottomline, you want to worship Columbus you are endorsing someone who helped set off the greatest war genocide in world history perhaps. Over 100 million Native Americans were murdered as a result of colonialism

Old 08-31-2017, 06:40 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
i'm ok with the statue. Without columbus, most of us would not be here.

Confederate statues and flags should be removed from public land except on battlefields, reenactments, museums, and graves, and the dukes of hazard. If a person wants to wave the battle flag around, that's their right. Its better that all the statue removal happens under trump. There would be a race war if it was under obama or hillary.

I thought taking the the plaque off the tree by General Lee was a little excessive though. Now you won't know where the tree came from.

Also, De blasio sucks. Worse than trump. He's a crappy mayor who has no vision and cannot build anything. Even that turd cuomo built a bridge. At least trump is entertaining while he takes us to Armageddon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City