Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 08:47 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,196,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
It seems like you still need to pay for monthly subscriptions to streaming sites like HULU or Netflix. I have a Blu-Ray player with WiFi that has the same ability to connect to those services. I don't know how a Fire Stick is different from that.
It's not really different unless you jailbreak it.

Except you can get Sling or DirectTV Now or other live TV programs for between $20-30 a month. These are often somewhat stripped down cable packages it can be a good deal. I think you'd be able to save $40 a month on average on your cable bill by using this. They are of course completely legal. If you are interested in this I recommend you get an Amazon Fire TV which has a lot more computing power and costs $30 more to buy then the Fire stick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 11:40 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
It's not really different unless you jailbreak it.

Except you can get Sling or DirectTV Now or other live TV programs for between $20-30 a month. These are often somewhat stripped down cable packages it can be a good deal. I think you'd be able to save $40 a month on average on your cable bill by using this. They are of course completely legal. If you are interested in this I recommend you get an Amazon Fire TV which has a lot more computing power and costs $30 more to buy then the Fire stick.
It's not too bad if you can split it with people. But often times, a triple play might still be cheaper.

Sling is easy to split because one of the plans allows three streams at a time plus an additional stream if you get the other package, which sports fans will be forced to do. Good option for those willing/wanting to share the cost.

DirecTV Now only allows two streams at a time, which isn't as great, but you can watch on the go and log into the apps separately for most of the channels, which doesn't count as a stream.

PS Vue was terrible on Roku---no guide (like everything else has) and even though you can have five streams going at a time, you can't watch outside of the "home" location. Too many channels for sports and not much else.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:50 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Firestick + KODI > Hulu/Netflix.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:21 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
It seems like you still need to pay for monthly subscriptions to streaming sites like HULU or Netflix. I have a Blu-Ray player with WiFi that has the same ability to connect to those services. I don't know how a Fire Stick is different from that.

I do the same: Netflix streaming via Blu-Ray player: $7.99/month grandfathered.

Boogey, thanks for the info. I have a friend who pays for nothing and gets everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, via bit-torrent links. Too confusing for me.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:09 AM

147 posts, read 229,261 times
Love my firestick! Once you add all the programs your golden. All the comforts of tv at home with you anywhere u go... use it when I travel as well.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:22 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,885,695 times
I got one for free from the view. Have no use for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City