Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 12:36 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,860 times

Advertisements

Finally, I have been approved by the board. My mortgage has been approved for about a month already. So it's time to close and move which will be soon.

So if you know the Parkchester area well, tell me your favorites:

Butcher
Green Grocer
Supermarket
Hardware store
Brick a brack
Dry Cleaner
Specialty food store
Bakery
Pharmacy (My present pharmacists gives really personal service and will always make sure you have a small supply of what you need, even if the full script can't be filled right away.)
Clothing
Shoe
Sneaker
Hair salon
Nail salon
Places to eat in
Places to eat out
Places to sit and think in peace, or for a peaceful walk
Places to ride bike
Anything you want to volunteer
Book store (if exists)
Other (something unusual or exotic that one would not ordinarily think about or know about.)
Fitness, Dance, Yoga etc.
Pet supply

I can explain what I like about things in my present area, but the post would end up being far too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 12:44 PM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Packsun Halal Chicken - It seems like from the name it'd be a standard cheap fried chicken place, but it's also a really good and inexpensive Bangladeshi restaurant. Here's a video: [vimeo]226774110[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/226774110

Old 08-27-2017, 01:10 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Parkchester isn't that complicated. Not many places to eat and most are mediocre. Supermarkets can be found mainly inside of the complex itself, though there are two right on Archer Street.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:18 PM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Parkchester is pretty good for Bangladeshi and a smattering of Hispanic places.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Parkchester isn't that complicated. Not many places to eat and most are mediocre. Supermarkets can be found mainly inside of the complex itself, though there are two right on Archer Street.
There are many supermarkets in my present neighborhood, but I don't go to all of them. When a new person moves to the neigbhorhood I will say, "I go to this place (instead of that) because....." That's what I was looking for.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
There are many supermarkets in my present neighborhood, but I don't go to all of them. When a new person moves to the neigbhorhood I will say, "I go to this place (instead of that) because....." That's what I was looking for.
Unless you want to trek into the complex, should try the two along Archer Street, closest to your place. A few areas of Parkchester are a little hilly. Nothing crazy but still.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:48 PM

This is what I was looking for in this thread:

In my present area in upper Ridgewood (almost Glendale):

There is a butcher housed inside a green grocer. I go there because the owner trims and slices my meat at the same prices I would pay at the supermarket. He's very personable.

There are four supermarkets in walking distance from my area.

Valentinos and Genova Meat - Is an excellent grocer that is large enough to almost be a supermarket. My butcher lets a space there. They used to have better produce than anyone else, but the competition upped their game. They still have the best bread (outside of bakeries) and Italian products. I avoid it however, because the crowds there are claustrophobic. There is a similar grocer just down the block. I don't go there because they aren't friendly.

Food universe - used to be Associated but since expansion has really improved selection enough that I stopped using Stop and Shop all together. They are well stocked in exotic chocolates, have a decent selection of most supermarket items, an ok selection of cheese and deli. They are super convenient right next to the subway. It's become my go to most of the time.

Stop and shop - I pretty much stopped going there after they stopped delivery since carrying 10 or more bags of groceries uphill was too much for me. I used to get the bulk of my product there. I switched to Peapod and then enjoyed the ease of it too much.

Mil-rue pharmacy - The only pharmacists in the area that will give you a week's worth of prescription drugs when he can't fill your script right away. He really cares.

Jiffy cleaner - Down the block but the owner that I was friendly with sort of passed the business on to someone else that is not as friendly or competent. But since I rarely need one anymore, I don't think about it.

Platz Hardware - They have a bigger selection and are more knowledgeable.

Shanghai Nail salon - I go to a place next door to my house mostly for convenience. They are also very nice to me and nothing like getting a Pedi practically barefoot. (because they are that close). The mani's don't last as long as they should. They must mess with the polish, but I like the convenience.

Marjia's hair salon - They do great hair cuts and did my daughter's blue tips. They're prices are unbeatable and the atmosphere is homey and relaxed.

Pizza - Pisa Pizza or Mini Italia. Rose's is very much over-rated and I avoid Corato's like the plague. (too much salt). Bun-ker (pretty far away),

Bakery - There are so many! Rudy's is famous. Norma's for a sit down experience, Cat cafe has amazing desserts.

I rarely eat out and there are a lot of new places that are a bit far flung that I haven't bothered to try but I can recommend: Nepalese, Las Margaritas, Fresh Pond Mexican (to go), Glendale Diner, Ridgewood Eats, Gyro World, E-chiban, Ridgwood Thai, Dish (great milkshakes and burgers),

Ridgewood garden is a great place to sit and think. Situated right underneath the tressle, a retired resident cleaned out the garbage and muck and planted a garden. The community got word about it, and chipped in. It's a beautiful oasis now, with chairs, flowers, garden statues and even an umbrella.

Ride bike to Forest Park (about a mile). Otherwise, the geography is deadly, almost literally because the streets have a lot of weird angles, poor visibility and the neighbors drive like insane people.

Topos bookstore - It's a tiny, a little self-important, but only bookstore in the area.

Paradise Aquarium for cat food.

For Vet: Animal clinic of Queens. They have been good to me and my pets.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Unless you want to trek into the complex, should try the two along Archer Street, closest to your place. A few areas of Parkchester are a little hilly. Nothing crazy but still.
My seller told me she never goes to those. Archer street has a weird vibe.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:00 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
OP, DM scatman. He lives there.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-27-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
My seller told me she never goes to those. Archer street has a weird vibe.
Personally, I wouldn't either. They are small supermarkets and likely won't offer the best quality, but I don't see that many other options. The ones in the complex are about the same. There's a Key Food and two other markets that I can think of. Never felt the urge to go into any and just took the BxM6 bus back to Manhattan and went there. Am wondering what your seller recommended or went to. Know of some who drive elsewhere like Westchester. If you have a car, opens up many options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City