Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2017, 10:13 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Agreed about the ignorance of many African Americans who have absorbed and internalized white American stereotypes about all Blacks. To even deal with Black people from other countries is stressful for them because these people don't conform to the stereotypes. The diet is different, the music is different, the religion is different, the language is different, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
He's an Italian American who hates that immigrant Blacks have their own national identities and that they don't just racially identify.
No, I hate that groups use their national identifies as a way to seek themselves superior to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 10:15 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Why does it always happen that when there are discussions about the west indies it disintegrates into arguments on which country is the best? Smh...
Tell that to the Trini Trump who is screaming how lousy Guyanese are and we don't have any "culture" Sad thing is that when you put a Guyanese next to a Trini next to a Vincy and even next to a Bajan most non Caribbean people don't see the difference. Guyanese are a Caribbean people just as Bahamians are. The fact that they aren't geographically located in the Caribbean is irrelevant.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Because they're all full of themselves why else? This is why sometimes there are spats between West Indians and African-Americans. The West Indians think they're better and don't want to be labeled as African-Americans, as if being African-American is the worse thing ever because they're supposedly lazy and uneducated.
It goes both ways my friend. Some black Americans think that they are better, as do some West Indians. Then along comes a Nigerians who laughs at us, calls us all descendants of slaves who have no culture and who revere the white man, and then begins to boast that his ancestors sold the "weak" Africans.

Really silly.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:19 AM

175 posts, read 134,819 times
Quote:
No, I hate that groups use their national identifies as a way to seek themselves superior to others.
oh please, a lot of African Americans that so call despise the US, use their American trump card when dealing with other blacks

they look down on other black cultures, make it look like others are so backward and live in huts and are coconuts or African booty scratchers.

In no way shape or form West Indians have the power to come to the US to cause African Americans any problems or pain. most jobs WI do African American do not want to do.

Some West Indians think their culture is better than African Americans, yes but even some west Indians think their island is better than the other island

West Indians are naturally prideful like that but its harmless

Old 09-02-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
It goes both ways my friend. Some black Americans think that they are better, as do some West Indians. Then along comes a Nigerians who laughs at us, calls us all descendants of slaves who have no culture and who revere the white man, and then begins to boast that his ancestors sold the "weak" Africans.

Really silly.
Have seen that also. Of late have met some very nice Africans but agree with everything you said. Each of the three groups (African-Americans, Africans and West Indians) see themselves as *superior* or whatever and looks down on the others. Also am wondering if the hostility between Africans and African-Americans has subsided a bit in recent years?

Old 09-02-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westindianguy View Post
Trinidad have racial issues, yes, but to say that Trinidad is apartheid lol

I!
I showed you an article where some UWI students complained that on SEVERAL occasions they were tossed out of a club for racial reasons. And that wasn't an isolated case. There were even "gollywog" nights in certain clubs when the "darkies" could come. This being in the 1990s. NOT the colonial 1950s.

Given that you are a divisive person who wants to boast that Trinidad is so great I bring this up. Yes Guyana has racial issues as does Trinidad. So why is a Trinidadian talking about our problems when yours are even more complex. Not only do you have the Indian vs. black but you also have the light skinned vs. dark skinned.

If some one is barred entry for reasons of race that is apartheid or Jim Crow. I am shocked that in the 1990s and again in 2005 this was still happening when Trinidad attained independence in 1962.

You look quite ridiculous pushing up Trinidad as being better than the rest of the Caribbean when Trinidad has all the problems that the rest of us have and the outside world, including those in the Spanish speaking Caribbean, don't give a fig about the supposed differences between various countries in the English speaking Caribbean.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I showed you an article where some UWI students complained that on SEVERAL occasions they were tossed out of a club for racial reasons. And that wasn't an isolated case. There were even "gollywog" nights in certain clubs when the "darkies" could come. This being in the 1990s. NOT the colonial 1950s.

Given that you are a divisive person who wants to boast that Trinidad is so great I bring this up. Yes Guyana has racial issues as does Trinidad. So why is a Trinidadian talking about our problems when yours are even more complex. Not only do you have the Indian vs. black but you also have the light skinned vs. dark skinned.

If some one is barred entry for reasons of race that is apartheid or Jim Crow. I am shocked that in the 1990s and again in 2005 this was still happening when Trinidad attained independence in 1962.

You look quite ridiculous pushing up Trinidad as being better than the rest of the Caribbean when Trinidad has all the problems that the rest of us have and the outside world, including those in the Spanish speaking Caribbean, don't give a fig about the supposed differences between various countries in the English speaking Caribbean.
get a life, I am over you and your shenanigans

I never say tnt is better, I say aspects of the culture has been replicated and now is known as Caribbean culture

Old 09-02-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
get a life, I am over you and your shenanigans

I never say tnt is better, I say aspects of the culture has been replicated and now is known as Caribbean culture
Can't you two kiss and make up? Never knew Trinis and Guyanese fought so much.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Can't you two kiss and make up? Never knew Trinis and Guyanese fought so much.
nope we don't fight, too many Guyanese, bajans and Jamaicans dislike trinis

we have to protect our self from the haters, yet when they have crisis in their countries they come running to Trinidad for money first

now our economy is in the pits, they have no one to go to now but still disrespect us

Old 09-02-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Its not about which country better, I am sick of Guyanese and some other islands taking so much from Trinidad then turn around and try to stomp on us!
Let me get this into your head. No one takes a thing from Trinidad. Caribbean Airlines survives because their MOST PROFITABLE route is the NYC Guyana route. This from the chairman himself. MORE profitable than the NYC Trinidad route because they don't have JetBlue crushing airfares. So much so that they had a much bigger publicity around the Guyana 50th Independence celebrations that they had for T&Ts. They need to keep market share and patronage. In recognition of the importance of the Guyana market one of the planes is registered as 9Y GEO and is named the Spirit of Guyana.

The largest market for Trinidad non oil products is CARICOM. Trinidad has a HUGE trade surplus with the rest of CARICOM. So CARICOM is set up for T&T to sell and the rest of us to buy. Given difficulties in the petrochemical sectors T&T needs this CARICOM market more than ever and this is indicated by the mass panic that hit the private sector when Jamaican companies threatened to mount a boycott against T&T products. They saw T&T having an "unfair" advantage as energy costs are lower.

So who is taking what. T&T benefits mightily from its involvement with CARICOM.

The problem is that you belong to that dying breed of Trinidadian xenophobes who thinks that every interaction between T&T and the rest of the Caribbean is them doing the rest of us a favor. Crushed with crime and having an economy which has declined over the last few years most Trinidadians have abandoned the xenophobia that you typify. That is so "1970s".

Here we have Guyana lacking experience in the petroleum sector so we don't have expertise in that area, but T&T clearly has given its involvement in it for over 100 years. Exxon wants to bring in their Texan people and leave Caribbean people to be carrying water.

Guyana is saying that Trinidadians have the expertise and as CARICOM people under the provisions of the Caribbean (CARICOM) Single Market & Economy should be given priority in bidding and as employment in the technical areas. Right now loads of Trinidadians are in Guyana looking for opportunities. Guyanese would rather they get the work than some Texan. No one is wailing about "all dem Trini coming here" because they aren't taking away work from a soul.

Its about Caribbean people working together but this dying breed of Trini xenophobes don't understand this. Yes like it or not. Guyana is a CARIBBEAN nation and it is where the CARICOM headquarters is located. The Bahamas is also a CARIBBEAN nation, even though it is an Atlantic chain of islands.
Now some Guyanese and Bahamians don't agree with this, but it is what it is. There are a whole tribe of Guyanese xenophobes wanting to know why they should be classified with " a bunch of small islands" and are proud to be continental. Well they are as silly as the Trini xenophobe.

And since when is telling you that Trinidad is a SOUTH AMERICAN island stomping on Trinidad. You are so filled with your Eurocentric self hate that you resent being connected to a place that you see as being filled with jungle and snakes. Well one can go to places in Trinidad and feel right as if one is in the Guyana jungle. Trinidad is so SOUTH AMERICAN that EVERY DAY birds from Caroni swamps fly to Venezuela to eat and fly back to Trinidad to sleep. This isn't the case with Grenada a validly Caribbean island.

I can assure you that the feel of Guyana begins in Trinidad because Trinidad has a feel of a South American country with your flora and fauna, and the angle that the sun shines, as Trinidad is far south. Trinidad and Guyana have similar ethnic demographics, which leads to similar issues of ethnic conflict. If that is stomping Trinidad tough, but a whole lot of Trinidadians feel quite comfortable with a whole lot of Guyanese.

There is the South American Caribbean and that is Trinidad, Guyana, Suriname and French Guyana. If that is stomping on Trinidad in your opinion that that is your problem. 7 miles from South America and over 100 miles from Grenada geographically Trinidad is South American, much as much of it consists of materials washed out of the Orinoco basin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City