Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2017, 03:00 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
This wasn't making fun. This was blatant denigration of a group. Now some Italians grin and take it as they need to show themselves to be an undifferentiated group among whites.

When the joke went "what is the difference between an Italian and a Puerto Rican.....a job" it was meant to reduce Italians down to the level that Puerto Ricans were seen. This is why there are some Italian Americans who have a problem in seeing themselves as a "white" group and had to set up an anti defamation group as they saw how damaging this was.

I am not even sure if an Italian American with obvious Sicilian ancestry and a New York attitude could become president. Yes even after the first so called black president. Mafia accusations will abound as reasons why he cannot be supported.
Well, they're sure carrying themselves like stereotypical white conservatives.

I do not mean to generalize all Italian-Americans, it depends largely on their upbringing and where they live. An Italian-American in Tottenville, SI is most likely a Trump supporter, but an Italian-American hipster in Bushwick is almost certainly not.

Also, even white supremacists these days consider Italians white.

I'm not sure what you mean by that last point, because people do not look down on the mafia the way they do black and Hispanic gangs. The mafia is glorified in film/television, and even if bodies were still turning up, people would not judge Italians the way they do PoC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 04:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Well, they're sure carrying themselves like stereotypical white conservatives.

I do not mean to generalize all Italian-Americans, it depends largely on their upbringing and where they live. An Italian-American in Tottenville, SI is most likely a Trump supporter, but an Italian-American hipster in Bushwick is almost certainly not.

Also, even white supremacists these days consider Italians white.

I'm not sure what you mean by that last point, because people do not look down on the mafia the way they do black and Hispanic gangs. The mafia is glorified in film/television, and even if bodies were still turning up, people would not judge Italians the way they do PoC.
Southern Neo Confederates need to be Anglo Saxon or Northern European and Protestant. They do indeed differentiate between themselves and people from the mediterranean of Europe, especially those who are Catholic.

The fact we've never had an Italian American President, especially a dark complexioned Sicilian is telling. They aren't considered white by the mainstream of white America.

An Italian American on Staten Island doesn't have to deal with Southern or MidWestern whites, and can call themselves whatever they want. Ditto NYC area Jews.

The Neo Confederates were saying extremely anti Jewish things in Charlottesville, despite the white identity and conservatism of some NYC Jews.

It's why a number of Jewish people, including those on this forum were worried about the rise of Trump.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Well, Italians are white and are clearly treated as such. When white ethnicties make fun of each other, it's not seen as being nearly as offensive as white people making fun of nonwhites. A white Italian has no less social power than any other form of white American, so that's why. I'm not saying people should make fun of Italians or that they shouldn't be offended.
1995, you are too argumentative and you often don't key on to context. Pierrepont, an Italian American is perplexed why all nationalities of Black people don't just lump themselves together as Black as always love each other.

CaribNY is explaining that various nationalities of whites, even in the US don't always love each other. Jews and Catholics were barred from the Ivy Leagues until the GI Bill period when government funding forced them to take Jews and Catholics. The same government funding during the civil rights movement forced them to take in women, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, etc.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
You mean like when Italian Americans think that they are better than Puerto Ricans and blacks. Hmmm. An Italian American accusing others of bigotry and yet not addressing that which exists within that community.

Interestingly enough most of the racial violence in NYC towards nonwhites has originated from Italian Americans. Maybe the swarthy skins of some plus rumors peddled in Europe that Africa begins south of Rome has some insecure.

I can assure you that no West Indian has ever attacked a black American or fire bombed his house because he wanted to live in a Caribbean neighborhood or marry some Caribbean person's daughter
Very good points. I can say the same for those from the Spanish Caribbean. No Dominican, Puerto Rican, or Cuban has ever fired bombed an African American's house.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
and in my experience most black Americans in NYC have gotten over this and many are actually excited to participate in these various black cultures which populate NYC. I don't know the last day that I encountered any AA hostility from some one under 65 years old. I forgive the older ones.
You're correct about this and among people under 65 years old marriages and children with various Black immigrants are pretty common. There are Trinidadians and Dominicans in my family. Some of my older relatives over 70 were very prejudiced against immigrants, because they could not deal with the concepts of Black people who spoke different languages and came from different cultures outside the South.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:18 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Southern Neo Confederates need to be Anglo Saxon or Northern European and Protestant. They do indeed differentiate between themselves and people from the mediterranean of Europe, especially those who are Catholic.

The fact we've never had an Italian American President, especially a dark complexioned Sicilian is telling. They aren't considered white by the mainstream of white America.

An Italian American on Staten Island doesn't have to deal with Southern or MidWestern whites, and can call themselves whatever they want. Ditto NYC area Jews.

The Neo Confederates were saying extremely anti Jewish things in Charlottesville, despite the white identity and conservatism of some NYC Jews.

It's why a number of Jewish people, including those on this forum were worried about the rise of Trump.
There's not really any anti-Catholic discrimination from those people anymore. The white nationalists are made up of both Christians (of various denominations) and atheists.

The fact that we've never had an Italian-American president is more so coincidence than the result of anti-Italian sentiment.

Jews are not considered white by the white supremacist movement. But everyone of wholly European, non-Jewish ancestry is.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Brinxguyanese Irma is about to hit the Caribbean. Who do you think is monitoring it? If it hits who do you think will coordinate relief? Yes Guyanese and Jamaican soldiers will be sent to the affected island to help with the repair of infrastructure. Guyanese will also send rice and the other islands will send what they can. There will be fundraisers throughout the entirety of the English speaking Caribbean.

Now go harass start a fight between Puerto Ricans and Dominicans. That is a topic you know about. Bronxboy chat about what you know and the Caribbean isn't listed as within your area of expertise.

And FYI Jamaica sent in a team of doctors and nurses within a day of the incident. They don't need to blow their horn as does the Castro dictatorship so you probably didn't know of this. In addition they accepted some Haitians as refugees.
This is true of many first generation New Yorkers of communities of color. Many have had very little contact with the countries of origins of their parents, or with the South if they are African American.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
There's not really any anti-Catholic discrimination from those people anymore. The white nationalists are made up of both Christians (of various denominations) and atheists.

The fact that we've never had an Italian-American president is more so coincidence than the result of anti-Italian sentiment.

Jews are not considered white by the white supremacist movement. But everyone of wholly European, non-Jewish ancestry is.
You're another one that has very little knowledge of things outside of NYC, and almost no travel experience.

I've LIVED in the rural South and rural upstate NY. I've actually personally known confederate supporters, or people who had that in their family. They are not accepting of Italian or Mediterranean Catholics, especially the dark complexioned ones.

No matter what people might yap on about white privilege in NYC, not all white ethnicities have equal access to this (Jews and Italians across much of the US would not). They are concentrated in just a few areas of the US.

Not only as far as President goes, but look at the top politicians in Washington. You won't find many Italian Americans.

Whenever Republicans are in charge, being that their base is in the South and interior parts of the West/MidWest, that is reflected in who holds the top Congressional positions (definitely Northern European whites).

Old 09-02-2017, 04:56 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
I remember the heat Dukakis got (in some circles) for being a "short, swarthy Greek" instead of a tall Anglo Saxon. I doubt white supremacists accept light skinned Hispanics or people from India (although both are considered technically caucasian). It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't accept Italians. They didn't like Slavs either but they seem to love Putin now so these white supremacists are a fickle bunch (what is Tila Tequila doing chumming around them, giving the Nazi salute--SMH).

Old 09-02-2017, 05:02 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I remember the heat Dukakis got (in some circles) for being a "short, swarthy Greek" instead of a tall Anglo Saxon. I doubt white supremacists accept light skinned Hispanics or people from India (although both are considered technically caucasian). It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't accept Italians. They didn't like Slavs either but they seem to love Putin now so these white supremacists are a fickle bunch (what is Tila Tequila doing chumming around them, giving the Nazi salute--SMH).
Light-skinned Hispanic doesn't automatically mean *White*. Am not sure who gave you that idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City