Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2017, 08:17 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
In fact much of the improved attitude towards "blackness" in the DR comes from the experiences of darker Dominicans in the USA.

The larger society considers them to be "black" and just finds their language making them more exotic. So this has led to an in depth self analysis among Dominicans, who took this conversation back to the DR.

In fact several Dominican community groups in NYC condemned the DR government for its treatment of Dominicans whose grand parents were Haitian (and most likely dead).

David Dinkins wouldn't have become mayor if he didn't win the vast majority of the Puerto Rican and Dominican vote. They too know that they are in the same boat as are American, Caribbean and African blacks, so must put aside petty squabbles to deal with the larger issue.
Current hunan rights movements such as Black Lives Matter and previously the anti stop and frisk movement have many Dominicans, Puerto Rican's, West Indians, African Americans, Haitians, etc for all the reasons you just explained. All these people know they are in the same boat when it comes to police brutality and mass incarceration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Most of these kkk types are not Anglo. They are Scott's Irish. If you look at the white supremacist flags, they tend to use the Celtic cross. They don't use Anglo, or Anglo Saxon heraldry. I was in North Carolina 2 weeks ago and was inside of a hall, the hall had plenty of banners with Scottish and Irish last names. What I find surprising is that in my DNA data match, I share paternal lineage to many whites in the south who have soctts Irish descent or lineage.
So now a Guyanese is joining the KKK based on being partially Scots Irish. CaribNY made an understatement when he called you confused.

I'm sure Pierre was telling right when he said your girlfriend is make believe as I cannot see a AA dating a confused Guyanese who wants to join the neo confederates. Go get psychiatric help man.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Stop running your mouth fool. The man is *not* Jewish. Not even close.
Sadly fool is an understatement. Bronxguyanese thinks he can join the KKK, Neo Confederates, and the like. An Afro-Guyanese is going to join a white nationalists/anti immigrant group.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
No, it's cultural. Cultures have their good traits too.
It's you personally. Only after being called out do you try to back away from the offensiveness of what you said. So the next time you make a post about hypocritical white liberals who are racists, be clear to identify yourself as chief among them.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:52 AM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Prior to the great awakening movement in America. The US as a whole was very anti Catholic. Look it up.
That's right. It was was at a fever pitch for the entirety of the 19th century. There was the thought by the 1920s that with so much immigration from Catholic Ireland, Italy, and Eastern Europe into the US for so many decades that they were just accepted. That's when Al Smith, the popular and accomplished governor of New York, ran for the presidency in the 1928 and he came back cowled by seeing the constant vistas of burning crosses at night as he crossed through the interior of the US on rail lines. He was not elected as it was apparent a large segment of the US still had a strong fear and hatred of Catholics.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:08 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
I mentioned new Orleans was a the 2nd largest port city this supporting my claim for dock or Longshore men jobs. This i know already coupled in with new Orleans being very Catholic. It was a no brainer for many Yo immigrate to new Orleans. Such places like nyc and the northeast and much of the south were very Protestant and anti papist or anti Catholic.
Sicilians weren't "Catholic" in terms of the institution as that church was part of the oppressive elites in southern Italy. I doubt that they would have migrated to NOLA just to find a Catholic church. They went were the jobs were.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I've been to morawhanna. And I have to say that I can't see Trinidad. The only light o see are the stars and far off shipping containers. I have been to Guyana 5 times and seen most of the country.

Well go back to Morawhanna and go scream at the people there. They make those claims so scream at them and tell them that they are mad.

Going to Guyana as a visitor doesn't make you an expert on that country. You are a tourist, NOT a Guyanese.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Of course they did, but the first stop for many was new Orleans. And not nyc. ..
No it wasn't. The migrations occurred at the same time. Some went to NYC, some to NOLA and loads to other places. Where ever there was work that is where they went. NOLA definitely couldn't absorb the large numbers of Italian migrants the way that larger cities like NYC could.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Prior to the great awakening movement in America. The US as a whole was very anti Catholic. Look it up.
Even the Irish hated the Italians. As did the German Catholics so this wasn't about religion. Italians were very poor and came from a unique village based culture and were suspicious of outsiders because of their history of abuse by outsiders.

So Catholicism wasn't the draw.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Current hunan rights movements such as Black Lives Matter and previously the anti stop and frisk movement have many Dominicans, Puerto Rican's, West Indians, African Americans, Haitians, etc for all the reasons you just explained. All these people know they are in the same boat when it comes to police brutality and mass incarceration.
Exactly. A cop doesn't inquire as to the ethnicity of the "black" kid before they humiliate, arrest or in rare occasions even kill. All the petty squabbles that we used to have (and might still have behind closed doors) matter less than the fact that we are in the same boat and cannot afford to buy the engine to move forward unless we cooperate.

Some recent immigrants still peddle the nonsense and then get a speedy education when they do looking for work, or meet NYC's "finest".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City