Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 05:57 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,149,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Been here my whole life. I've no interest in ghetto behavior either. You'd be surprised but acceptance of ghetto behavior is not a trait all native NY'ers share. Weird no?
I don't know how you survived all your life here. You must have caught a heart attack every time you walked out the house from "ghetto" behavior.

I'm getting sidewalk jerk chicken right now at 8am. Happy Labor Day weekend. Enjoy, I hope all the "ghetto" behavior doesn't ruin your weekend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 05:57 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,095,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
Then you have seen a ton of sidewalk bbq's and then some.

Nyc culture is slowely slipping away, if I wanted a suburban dull lifestyle I would have moved to Long Island with the rest of the boring people
sidewalk BBQ is NYC culture???

Old 09-03-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
sidewalk BBQ is NYC culture???
You must cross the street when you see projects, otherwise you would have seen more than a few people grilling outside since there are no backyards.

You think it was first time those people took the grill in the sidewalk?

I don't know what NYC you guys been living in.

I know airborne lives in SI, so that explains his delusions

Old 09-03-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I have mixed feelings. There's the letter of the law and the intent of the law. Many laws aren't enforced to the letter of the law.

We all know that certain neighborhoods are given leeway in certain circumstances.

Ever been to Borough Park on Thursday evenings or Friday's? Everyone is double parked and the NYPD doesn't ticket. Why? Because the Sabbath is coming up and the community's residents have time constraints.

Ever been to Brighton Beach where stores openly sell food on the sidewalk. Is that legal? I doubt it. It's allowed because the community likes it that way.

Ever been to Manhattan's Chinatown? You don't think the DOB can't temporarily close down/condemn a substantial number of buildings in the area? They don't because it would hurt the community and I'm sure the communities local politicians have a say in that.

I don't think the OP has it wrong when they imply that gentrification is changing the way the neighborhood is being policed.
Remember New Harlem Resident Declares War On Jingle-Happy Mister Softee Man ?

Only reasonable comment in this thread.

If people don't like "ghetto" behavior, get out the "ghetto" simple as that. People have been doing this forever now all of a sudden it's a problem.

They weren't policing on certain things prior to gentrifiers moving in. Better yet as crime goes down, these cops have nothing else to do. It's a damn grill, go fight real crime

This cop was an *******, he could have cited them and kept it moving. Or better yet a warning, they paid for that food. Some of these cops still don't understand that it's how you interact with the community, that's how you create change.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:31 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,095,963 times
Quote:
You must cross the street when you see projects, otherwise you would have seen more than a few people grilling outside since there are no backyards.

You think it was first time those people took the grill in the sidewalk?

I don't know what NYC you guys been living in.

I know airborne lives in SI, so that explains his delusions
Yeah, sure. I lived in Harlem, Bronx and Wash Heights. I never saw a BBQ in the sidewalk. I did see BBQs in Riverbank State park, Riverside drive and the riverside park area below Riverbank State Park.

I bet someone in the neighborhood called the cops to stop the nighttime BBQ. You see people who live in the area might not enjoy that activity. It is also not legal to BBQ in a public sidewalk.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:49 AM

19,059 posts, read 13,989,020 times
Quote:
I don't know how you survived all your life here. You must have caught a heart attack every time you walked out the house from "ghetto" behavior.

I'm getting sidewalk jerk chicken right now at 8am. Happy Labor Day weekend. Enjoy, I hope all the "ghetto" behavior doesn't ruin your weekend
There is no ghetto behavior in the vast majority of the city's neighborhoods. Amazing right?

Old 09-03-2017, 10:57 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,244,335 times
Quote:

Nyc culture is slowly slipping away, if I wanted a suburban dull lifestyle I would have moved to Long Island with the rest of the boring people
This video is a video taken at night. Not during the day. Not really a bbq. I's be pissed if I were trying to sleep and needed to be up for work and these people were blasting music.

Quote:

oh so you up at 8am. So then you don't know what its like to have people keep you up all night and not let you sleep.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:34 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,169,328 times
When there was a block party there was always a BBQs the only time people have a problem if the bbq is too close to the building the cops would warn people not have the BBQ too close to the buildings!

Old 09-03-2017, 02:37 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,308,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
When there was a block party there was always a BBQs the only time people have a problem if the bbq is too close to the building the cops would warn people not have the BBQ too close to the buildings!
There and *in* the sidewalk as Mr. Ryu said earlier. *LOL* Never knew such a thing was possible.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:28 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,496,356 times
Quote:

Nyc culture is slowly slipping away, if I wanted a suburban dull lifestyle I would have moved to Long Island with the rest of the boring people
As for NYCHA, are you talking about the cut throughs? That's not the same as barbecuing right on the street.

And there are plenty of places where people can go to barbecue.

I don't mind the idea of people having sidewalk barbecues, but if it poses a safety concern then people shouldn't do it. And it doesn't seem cozy at all trying to have a barbecue with all the passerbys and traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City