Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 09:31 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
I decided I was sick of my $170 a month cable bill from optimum and finally cut the cord (kept internet so I can stream and that will cost $70).

I bought the mohu 25 antenna for $15 for both my TVs. I was very pleasantly suprised to find that not only is picture quality slightly better on many channels, but I have about 20 decent channels I can watch (there are also 20 foreign language channels). This is great. I remember when I was younger and had Basic Over the Air Broadcast and it was just PBS, NBC, CBS, and FOX. Which was what I was expecting. Now there are movie and show channels like "Get It" "ION" and "Bounce" and CUNY and NYC have public broadcasting too. I'm not sure if all this is just because my apartment is High up and the surroundings are unobstructed but I'm very pleasantly suprised and happy that I will be saving $100 a month on mostly junk channels I don't watch.

Does anyone know any good Internet Service Providers that are cheap and service the Bronx? $70 a month for internet seems like a real ripoff to me... I think it's time to cut the cord on cablevision for good...

See who is available in your zip code. You can definitely pay less for internet and don't need insane speeds for regular streaming. Mine is $52/month post-promo. (Time Warner-related.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 09:32 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,195,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timppa View Post
I also got rid of cable, and have noticed how antenna TV has plenty of old movies and old TV shows which is what I like anyway. CUNY and NYC Life show up as well. Unfortunately PBS 13 and WLIW 21 don't come in at all. Any suggestions on how to receive those?
When I set up the OTA Digital Antenna I was getting bad reception for ABC and PIX 11 so I moved the antenna closer to the window. Luckily with the universal remote I have when you press info on the channel it shows the signal strength so I was able to move to the antenna closer to the window and the signal strength improved and I was able to then get ABC and PIX without issue.

From what I've read it depends a lot on the type of antenna you buy. I bought one of the flat paper thin ones which is apparently good for getting signal from all directions. The more traditional retractable metal stick antennas are supposedly best for pinpointing stations which would mean you would have to point it in the direction of the PBS broadcasting center (which are in New Jersey). There are websites that map out where all the local broadcasting stations are.

Also might be worth it to invest in a better antenna. I bought two cheap ones for 14.99 at Best Buy but they only go 25 miles because I had read most of the NYC OTA stations are between 10-15 miles away. But they were selling 50 mile antennas for 29.99 at the same Best Buy.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
what kind of internet speed are you looking for? I get the bare bones basic Optimum internet for about $30/month.
I have optimum 60 Mbps which is about the speed I want because I stream a lot of videos and play Xbox sometimes

This illustrates exactly why I can't stand these cable internet companies.

Their pricing is completely arbitrary. They give out promos and then rescind them if you downgrade. The promos run out and your stuck paying an arm and a leg. You can never get a straight answer on your bill. Time warner and optimum are the worst with this. They will tell you you'll pay $100 a month and then you get your bill and it's $140 and they claim "fees and taxes" these companies are absolute lowlife garbage

Old 08-30-2017, 06:27 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
I have optimum 60 Mbps which is about the speed I want because I stream a lot of videos and play Xbox sometimes

This illustrates exactly why I can't stand these cable internet companies.

Their pricing is completely arbitrary. They give out promos and then rescind them if you downgrade. The promos run out and your stuck paying an arm and a leg. You can never get a straight answer on your bill. Time warner and optimum are the worst with this. They will tell you you'll pay $100 a month and then you get your bill and it's $140 and they claim "fees and taxes" these companies are absolute lowlife garbage
I have the opposite experience actually, albeit this is my first year with Optimum. It's $25/mo for internet and $5/mo for the router. seemed pretty straightforward to me.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:20 PM

270 posts, read 145,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timppa View Post
I also got rid of cable, and have noticed how antenna TV has plenty of old movies and old TV shows which is what I like anyway. CUNY and NYC Life show up as well. Unfortunately PBS 13 and WLIW 21 don't come in at all. Any suggestions on how to receive those?
Channel 21 is going to be difficult to receive because their antenna located in Plainview, Long Island - not Manhattan. As for myself, I am using two antennas - one VHF to get MeTV (33.1) and another which catches high VHF and UHF to get a whole bunch of other channels.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:51 PM

89 posts, read 74,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosenza View Post
Channel 21 is going to be difficult to receive because their antenna located in Plainview, Long Island - not Manhattan. As for myself, I am using two antennas - one VHF to get MeTV (33.1) and another which catches high VHF and UHF to get a whole bunch of other channels.

Thanks, I'll look into those.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
I have the opposite experience actually, albeit this is my first year with Optimum. It's $25/mo for internet and $5/mo for the router. seemed pretty straightforward to me.
They usually do this to reel in customers. When you see a big bold letter add for $30 a month on TV or on the website you think "hey I can afford that". Then they get you by charging you double for eternity

Old 08-31-2017, 03:50 PM

430 posts, read 504,758 times
did the same. Got internet package from RCN. 330 MB package for $50 a month with modem. been very happy with their service.

BTW, not a lot people know this but you pay no sales tax on internet only service. it's codified by NYS law. the only tax i pay is for the equipment ie the modem. but if you use your own modem then you won't subject to a sales tax.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:44 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
did the same. Got internet package from RCN. 330 MB package for $50 a month with modem. been very happy with their service.

BTW, not a lot people know this but you pay no sales tax on internet only service. it's codified by NYS law. the only tax i pay is for the equipment ie the modem. but if you use your own modem then you won't subject to a sales tax.

Not "NYS" law only (if that applies), but federal statue forbids taxes on internet access.

Law however applies to just that, access; anything else such as modems or other equipment is up for grabs.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:34 PM

430 posts, read 504,758 times
how about that! i only knew about NYS memo TSB-M-97(1.1)S from'97. nice to see in federal law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City