Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 11:09 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times

Advertisements

Could live in a cheaper neighborhood. I see a $80k 1bd on Bolton St right now in Pelham Parkway. I wouldn't exactly be looking at expensive options if I were making low income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 12:18 PM

26 posts, read 159,502 times
Don't feel bad at all! Family takes care of family. If staying with your Mom will help you save and get back on your feet, then I say go for it! Good Luck!

Old 09-06-2017, 02:25 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Do what you have to do in life to keep your living standard up, but make sure your action doesn't create problem for others. If I had no choice and in a bad situation, and if moving back home is the only option, I will do it, but I will try to make progress.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:19 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Don't worry about sex for now. Save up lots of money, & enjoy the time with your parent.
I agree! You get time with family and a safe environment rather then renting a room from someone who could be nuts or have a bad living situation. That stress is far worse. Regroup, enjoy the break and start planning. Many working adults don't get the time or support to do this at all. No negatives here if you have a good relationship with family. Dont worry about the dating thing either. Worst case scenerio go over the dates house or get a motel room. All good.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:04 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Don't worry about sex for now. Save up lots of money, & enjoy the time with your parent.
I second that. Work hard. Be smart. Save up. And then move out with a nice, little nest egg & marketable skills. That way, when you do move out you'll do so with confidence rather than desperation. Also, if you get along with your parents, enjoy and cherish the time you have with them because days like that don't last forever & you'll find yourself looking back on it with good memories when you're older, married with kids of your own.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:13 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay El Cee View Post
Thanks for the advice. If I decide to stay in NYC, I'm definitely gonna buy a Mitchell-Lama co-op or an HDFC apartment. It's funny how some dudes in their late 20s or early 30s manage to get plenty of women while still living with their parents. I wonder if that only works in the hood.
If they know that you're living with your parents temporarily until your finances improve & actively working towards that goal with a plan as opposed to someone just taking advantage mooching off their parents and refusing to grow up, I can see how it won't hinder one's dating/social life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City