Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2017, 11:06 AM

12,741 posts, read 8,164,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Gentrification/redevelopment is weird in that the initial period of people coming into the neighborhood for cheap rent is a long one and that first stores or restaurants that's frequented by new residents stays fairly solitary for a while. The next part when a slate of people and stores come is when it gets really noticeable.
*LOL* Am not sure what you're running your mouth about, but $1500 for a one bedroom is not *cheap*.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 11:40 AM

444 posts, read 382,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The side blocks are terrible no doubt, but the landlords keep it that way, I dont even blame the people
I've read that Goldfarb Management is horrible but them have their buildings looking nice. They manage one on Sheridan Ave (right next to the building I grew up in).

The is a how they price their apartments...

930 Sheridan Ave has a 2 bedroom, 1 bath- $1799

-All at 1770 Grand Concourse
Studio- $1599
1 bedroom, 1 bath $1799
2 bedroom, 2 bath $2224

Old 09-06-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
*LOL* Am not sure what you're running your mouth about, but $1500 for a one bedroom is not *cheap*.
No it isn't but compared to else where that is near a subway it is.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:42 AM

33,389 posts, read 46,795,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
I've read that Goldfarb Management is horrible but them have their buildings looking nice. They manage one on Sheridan Ave (right next to the building I grew up in).

Studio- $1599
1 bedroom, 1 bath $1799
2 bedroom, 2 bath $2224
Man times have changed.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-06-2017, 11:45 AM

36,911 posts, read 38,826,491 times
Quote:
Relative to the rest of NYC? This wouldn't make any sense without context. Are you just looking for an argument for the sake of one because you're the resident mouth-runner?

Old 09-06-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Relative to the rest of NYC? This wouldn't make any sense without context. Are you just looking for an argument for the sake of one?
You said *cheap*. It is not cheap relative to the other outer boroughs and if you knew about what's been happening across the city, you would re-think your comment. You can definitely find apartments in Queens around that price range, and I don't think you would call Astoria *cheap*. Just did a check on websites and you can get 1 bedrooms in Astoria for $1550 to $1700, so that's pretty close to the going price in the South Bronx. You could even include Upper Manhattan and you'd have similar prices. Even see a few one bedrooms in the area listed *at $1650 - 1695*.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Good on you for volunteering! I think if things keep going as they are in terms of people coming in, jobs being created, and closer-in neighborhoods get more expensive, then portions of the South Bronx will look notably different by the start of the next decade. Gentrification/redevelopment is weird in that the initial period of people coming into the neighborhood for cheap rent is a long one and that first stores or restaurants that's frequented by new residents stays fairly solitary for a while (for the area around Yankee Stadium, Bronx Drafthouse basically fits it to a T). The next part when a slate of people and stores come is when it gets really noticeable.

Right now the part of the South Bronx, which is more like a collection of several neighborhoods, is probably furthest along is near the waterfront on and around Bruckner Boulevard. It's really evident when you walk along Bruckner from Third Avenue to Willis Avenue.
Thank you. I'm getting tired of being angry with the way the Bronx looks and is and I saw a news report about a group that spent a Saturday painting over graffiti and I was like "BINGO". I can do that.

I will check out the Bronx Drafthouse. BF is looking for a new place and nothing is really on our side of the Concourse.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Man times have changed.
Am in agreement. Could easily live in Riverdale at the prices below.

Quote:

Studio- $1599
1 bedroom, 1 bath $1799
2 bedroom, 2 bath $2224
Quote:
No it isn't but compared to else where that is near a subway it is.
Actually it's not. At the prices you listed above, could live in just about all of Queens with subway access. That location is above 165th, steps from the subway, but still.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:01 PM

36,911 posts, read 38,826,491 times
Quote:
You said *cheap*. It is not cheap relative to the other outer boroughs and if you knew about what's been happening across the city, you would re-think your comment. You can definitely find apartments in Queens around that price range, and I don't think you would call Astoria *cheap*. Just did a check on websites and you can get 1 bedrooms in Astoria for $1550 to $1700, so that's pretty close to the going price in the South Bronx. You could even include Upper Manhattan and you'd have similar prices. Even see a few one bedrooms in the area listed *at $1650 - 1695*.
You can get real one bedrooms in the South Bronx for $1200 and under with a straight shot on the subway to Midtown. That's not happening in Astoria whatsoever.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:03 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,932,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Mott Haven, Port Morris, Yankee stadium area will be first Bronx areas see massive gentrification take place it will take about 10-15 years but is slowly starting now.
NYC is a massive city. The whole city will never gentrify. By thr end of the decade, the lower South Bronx will be at critical mass gentrification. Where about 10 percent of the neighborhood will probably be gentry, and businesses will have to cater and move in for that 10 percent of the gentry. A place like west farms for example will never see the light of gentrification, even with development of all the affordable housing in the area. While a neighborhood such as coop city, Park Chester, city Island, throgs neck does not need gentrification due to being solid middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City