Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 10:13 AM

175 posts, read 134,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I'm sorry but if the parents are from the West Indies, the kids are West Indian. Don't have to be born there to be West Indian. That hierarchy crap annoys me. On the one hand you yell about culture but only when it suits you. West Indians born here are also West Indian and I'm sure they go there to the parade more than African-Americans do for obvious reasons. You need to put the blame where it belongs, which is on *West Indians*, be it born here or in the Caribbean. Can blame the parents as well.
As someone born and bred Caribbean it annoys me when Black Americans with Caribbean parents claim to be Caribbean without fully being able to understand or grasp the culture,

some Caribbean parents do a horrible job of passing on Caribbean culture to their children so they run around with a stupid narrow view of what it means to be Caribbean. I don't consider all the people Caribbean it depends on the person

to me anyone born here in the US and grow up in this culture is black American

I have a friend born here to black American father and trini moms but she been back and forth to Trinidad and lived half her time in both places, she has a trini accent and fully understands the culture so I consider her trini.

I have a bajan American friend who is back and forth to Barbados and fully knows the culture

but there are some who born here don't know much about it and act like they Caribbean....PLEASE!

What is even more laughable is when they try to selectively distanced themselves from black American when they are black American.

Last edited by westindianguy; 09-04-2017 at 10:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 10:26 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westindianguy View Post
I am West Indian obviously! but I support shutting down the jouvert aspect of the parade, NYPD simply cannot handle it because the amount of people coming from all over for this event.

There was a time when Jouvert was becoming violent because rival gangs would meet up in Trinidad

but they improved on it and carnival/jouvert is actually the safest time in Trinidad because of the police presence

Jouvert is suppose to be a cultural expression, at least that is how it is in Trinidad, Grenada and the other islands. NYC Jouvert is basically just about who could fake being Caribbean more or just overall lewd with no redeeming qualities. I think the event being held in bad parts of Brooklyn does not augur well for the festival.

I actually believe if it was held in a different place it will be better, carnival/jouvert is held in other parts of the US with no issue. I think DC was violent one year and they shut it down.

People who attach this to race, well even bad parts of the Caribbean, they have carnival without issues, there is just something about Brooklyn.....I hate that place!
100%. Race has nothing to do with this. The scum who ruin it are just scum. Just like the white scum who start problems at country music festivals. The violence is a function of a society where law and order is no longer respected, along with respect and human decency in general.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:31 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
As someone born and bred Caribbean it annoys me when Black Americans with Caribbean parents claim to be Caribbean without fully being able to understand or grasp the culture,

some Caribbean parents do a horrible job of passing on Caribbean culture to their children so they run around with a stupid narrow view of what it means to be Caribbean. I don't consider all the people Caribbean it depends on the person

to me anyone born here in the US and grow up in this culture is black American

I have a friend born here to black American father and trini moms but she been back and forth to Trinidad and lived half her time in both places, she has a trini accent and fully understands the culture so I consider her trini.

I have a bajan American friend who is back and forth to Barbados and fully knows the culture

but there are some who born here don't know much about it and act like they Caribbean....PLEASE!

What is even more laughable is when they try to selectively distanced themselves from black American when they are black American.
So in other words you get to diminish the fact that it's West Indians acting like fools at these events by stating that children of West Indian parents are just *black Americans*. How nice. Not surprising.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:33 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
100%. Race has nothing to do with this. The scum who ruin it are just scum. Just like the white scum who start problems at country music festivals. The violence is a function of a society where law and order is no longer respected, along with respect and human decency in general.
For a prideful West Indian, it's all about culture and race. He can't bring himself to admit that it's West Indians and those of West Indians descent creating the problems. Always has to throw the bone on *African-Americans* as the *bad influence*, as if there isn't violence in the Caribbean.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:38 AM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Going to the parade and Jouvert is simply too dangerous.

Not to mention I dont like crowds.

I've been to Carnival in St Vincent before and I did not once feel like I had to watch my back like I did when I was on Church Ave Jouvert night

Nostrand and President one year they were shooting, I had to run from gunshots at 5 AM

Some parts of Brooklyn are straight hell Labor Day weekend

Its simply not enjoyable anymore when you feel like your life can be in danger man

I'll watch on Youtube if anything

PS: My father always used to tell me that back in the 70s it was only in Lincoln Terrace Park and it was nowhere as dangerous, humans always know how to mess up a good thing

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-04-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Going to the parade and Jouvert is simply too dangerous.

Not to mention I dont like crowds.

I've been to Carnival in St Vincent before and I did not once feel like I had to watch my back like I did when I was on Church Ave Jouvert night

Nostrand and President one year they were shooting, I had to run from gunshots at 5 AM

Some parts of Brooklyn are straight hell Labor Day weekend

Its simply not enjoyable anymore when you feel like your life can be in danger man

I'll watch on Youtube if anything

PS: My father always used to tell me that back in the 70s it was only in Lincoln Terrace Park and it was nowhere as dangerous, humans always know how to mess up a good thing
that's exactly why I did not go to the parade today. I went jouvert once it was aight. I had to be running went crowds scampered, there is just a bad vibes about this event, its all barricade up and too crowded not to mention its not even a carnival, you barely see any costumes, its more of a pride parade

I heard Miami carnival is really nice

Old 09-04-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
So in other words you get to diminish the fact that it's West Indians acting like fools at these events by stating that children of West Indian parents are just *black Americans*. How nice. Not surprising.
I am telling you that a lot of people act foolish so the blame is not on one group or person

but you really think this parade is only west Indians?
half the west Indians I know don't even go, so all these people running around with flags cannot be west Indians only, there are not 1.5 million west Indians in new York

less and less actual west Indians from the islands come up for this parade, more of them go to Miami now

lets say 500,000 west Indians live in NYC which I doubt and lets say half don't go that's 250,000

there are a lot of goons coming from the Bronx and other places meeting up with Brooklyn goons

its a mess

Old 09-04-2017, 10:48 AM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
that's exactly why I did not go to the parade today. I went jouvert once it was aight. I had to be running went crowds scampered, there is just a bad vibes about this event, its all barricade up and too crowded not to mention its not even a carnival, you barely see any costumes, its more of a pride parade

I heard Miami carnival is really nice
Yo I could not believe it - the one time I went to Jouvert, I was like, ok so this is what everybody talks about....been to the parade a million times, but never Jouvert, you just cant have things like that in Brooklyn at that time of night, the current culture and climate simply will not allow it to exist without violence.

Essentially you have a bunch of immigrants who came to this country to celebrate their disenfranchisement, which is a main reason for the illegal crap that goes on surrounding it, and people wonder why people are getting shot. Same reason people are getting shot in Brooklyn every other weekend. The open street-party atmosphere just enhances the opportunity for the criminals.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-04-2017, 10:55 AM

In Trinidad there is an aspect of jouvert where masqueraders have costumes mimicking politicians and social events of the past year I am not sure if they have that in New York jouvert. Also the depiction of the post slavery canboulay riots where people come to see that being reenacted

In Grenada there jouvert is heavily focused on the jab jab masquerade and it seem to be successful

if they really wanted to rope in tourists and other types of people they would play on the cultural aspects of it and make it a spectator event and oppose to a lewd fest.

the kids in Brooklyn don't know nothing about this I am sure

Old 09-04-2017, 11:00 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
It's not a race thing, although everyone is always black. Its the Brooklyn way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City