Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 11:21 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times

Advertisements

Pretty awesome parade/event, probably second only to the German one in my opinion (and the two make for very interesting contrasts). I've got an idea for a Jamaican-ish street food dish today--maybe I should try to be a vendor next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 11:33 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Hmm... So it's just a coincidence is that it?
The thing with Labor Day weekend is, there are hundreds of parties and cookouts happening that has no relation to those celebrating jouvert.

People love to say how violent it is, however there are always fools in the mix and guns involved. 1 person dead when there are thousands celebrating is not horrible stats. It would be nice to have no problems but you mix partying all night, drugs and alcohol with local gangs. There it goes

Old 09-04-2017, 11:35 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinglavidabroka View Post
black lives matter ?? Yeah right

It's sad that people still don't understand the concept and propose of black lives matters.

It's like racism blocks basic thinking skills

Old 09-04-2017, 11:50 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
It's sad that people still don't understand the concept and propose of black lives matters.

It's like racism blocks basic thinking skills
I know. It's really not a hard concept to understand but they continue to interject BLM every chance they get with their poor attempts at "jokes". It is what it is.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:04 PM

175 posts, read 134,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
I know. It's really not a hard concept to understand but they continue to interject BLM every chance they get with their poor attempts at "jokes". It is what it is.
its just because sometimes white people love to use every little thing to bring evidence that they are somehow right for all their historical wrongs. I don't know why everyone is so surprised, most whites care more for the rights of animals than black people

not sure if I am allowed to say that on here, but its true

they only like black people for sports, entertainment and sex

Old 09-04-2017, 12:04 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
The thing with Labor Day weekend is, there are hundreds of parties and cookouts happening that has no relation to those celebrating jouvert.

People love to say how violent it is, however there are always fools in the mix and guns involved. 1 person dead when there are thousands celebrating is not horrible stats. It would be nice to have no problems but you mix partying all night, drugs and alcohol with local gangs. There it goes
And yet other parades happen with *millions* of people *each year* and there are *no deaths*. Cannot make excuses year after year. Parties can be had without getting hammered or whatever. That's never an excuse to get crazy. Worst of all if so concerned about black lives, should be *outraged* with the black-on-black shootings at these events each year. Can't blame that on the cops either.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westindianguy View Post
its just because sometimes white people love to use every little thing to bring evidence that they are somehow right for all their historical wrongs. I don't know why everyone is so surprised, most whites care more for the rights of animals than black people

not sure if I am allowed to say that on here, but its true

they only like black people for sports, entertainment and sex
Fact of the matter is everyone has dirty laundry. Problem is some people like to step over that dirty laundry and overlook it.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:07 PM

175 posts, read 134,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
And yet other parades happen with *millions* of people *each year* and there are *no deaths*. Cannot make excuses year after year. Parties can be had without getting hammered or whatever. That's never an excuse to get crazy. Worst of all if so concerned about black lives, should be *outraged* with the black-on-black shootings at these events each year. Can't blame that on the cops either.
Am I happy with the nonsense that happens year after year, hell no

I personally see some hypocrisy in BLM movement but I cannot take away from the good that they do by highlighting the injustices

Old 09-04-2017, 12:18 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You couldn't even write that with a straight face. We all know what neighborhoods the perps are from. Sure, there is a slight chance they're from South Jamaica or Hollis, but I'd put my money on ENY, Brownsville, Crown Heights, Bed-Stuy or Flatbush. And you'd wager the same.
You're probably right. These are local gangsters who have beef/issues with each other. It seems unlikely someone would travel from Jamaica, Hollis, or the poor parts of Far Rockaway to do this.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You're probably right. These are local gangsters who have beef/issues with each other. It seems unlikely someone would travel from Jamaica, Hollis, or the poor parts of Far Rockaway to do this.
Have people that travel all the way from the Caribbean to this event *each year*. Cannot assume the people are those living in Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City