Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:06 PM

922 posts, read 3,860,320 times

Advertisements

One more comment about that article. The Gateway Center isn't really "part" of the neighborhood.

It is a quintessentially suburban-style, automobile-centric, super-sized strip mall with a Home Depot, Target, Circuit City, Kohls, BJ's and other stores. It even has the standard-issue Red Lobster and Olive Garden on the out-parcels. It faces the Belt Parkway and is designed to be convenient to it via the adjacent exit on Erskine St. The vast majority of shoppers here (myself included) pull off the Belt Parkway, do their shopping, then go right back on the Parkway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 07:02 PM

190 posts, read 814,039 times
My two cents: No.
East New York is the only neighborhood in all of NYC in which I feared for my life. I first went out there in 97 and it was like a third world country. East New York and the Vandeveer Houses are two places I will never step foot in again. I have driven through Brownsville and have seen good and bad, but East New York? Oh no.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:35 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
A malignant hipster tumor was found in Williamsburg, then spread to Bushwick, and may spread to the East..............!!!!!!!

Old 03-16-2008, 09:00 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
The new Harlem? No. At least Harlem has some charms. ENY on the other hand, has zero redeeming qualities. It's a very depressing neighborhood, take it from someone who lived in City Line for 3 years [1993-96].

Old 03-16-2008, 09:04 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Dam...I got to check this place out!!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:59 AM

124 posts, read 383,707 times
I would say Bed-Stuy is more of the new Harlem than anything else. Similar architecture, easy commute to the city and just culturally wise.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:37 AM

877 posts, read 2,767,730 times
There is no comparison between East New York and Harlem. Harlem is well known for its vibrant culture. East New York does not have that type of cultural identity and I doubt that it will ever have that particular identity. As stated the closest thing to Harlem in Brooklyn would be Bed-Stuy or maybe Clinton Hill.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:07 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
A malignant hipster tumor was found in Williamsburg, then spread to Bushwick, and may spread to the East..............!!!!!!!
Look out...the tumor has metastasized!

Old 02-07-2009, 06:04 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
You're talking as though Harlem is now Mayberry. I drove around Harlem and Washington Heights last weekend past midnight and saw nothing but trouble on the streets. Didn't look very gentrified to me. I think ENY has a long way to go, and even then it will NEVER be what Harlem was or is. All those condos and new construction going up in ENY will be filled with Section 8 housing when they don't sell.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:52 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
One more comment about that article. The Gateway Center isn't really "part" of the neighborhood.

It is a quintessentially suburban-style, automobile-centric, super-sized strip mall with a Home Depot, Target, Circuit City, Kohls, BJ's and other stores. It even has the standard-issue Red Lobster and Olive Garden on the out-parcels. It faces the Belt Parkway and is designed to be convenient to it via the adjacent exit on Erskine St. The vast majority of shoppers here (myself included) pull off the Belt Parkway, do their shopping, then go right back on the Parkway.
That Gateway Center was made to be the antithesis of the always-rowdy Kings Plaza. The Gateway caters to those from Southern Brooklyn (like Marine Park or Mill Basin) and Southwestern Queens (like the Western Rockaways or Howard Beach).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City