Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 10:12 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,606 times

Advertisements

I don't shop at Whole Foods more than once every 2 years (not convenient to me, and I do not purchase organic foods unless something I like happens to be organic - I do like their 365 brand frozen hash browns tho haha), so I don't foresee this changing my shopping habits at all. I also don't really see it cutting into Fairway's business. I do shop at Fairway every other week or so.

I've been intrigued by the idea of grocery shopping online, but think Amazon Fresh isn't worth it (if I'm not mistaken, which I definitely could be, they charge you $5.99 shipping per box? No thanks.) I also really enjoy grocery shopping, and like choosing my produce in person, I have often been tempted to order from Fresh Direct to do one of their new customer deals but likely wouldn't include produce in my order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 10:21 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
I don't shop at Whole Foods more than once every 2 years (not convenient to me, and I do not purchase organic foods unless something I like happens to be organic - I do like their 365 brand frozen hash browns tho haha), so I don't foresee this changing my shopping habits at all. I also don't really see it cutting into Fairway's business. I do shop at Fairway every other week or so.

I've been intrigued by the idea of grocery shopping online, but think Amazon Fresh isn't worth it (if I'm not mistaken, which I definitely could be, they charge you $5.99 shipping per box? No thanks.) I also really enjoy grocery shopping, and like choosing my produce in person, I have often been tempted to order from Fresh Direct to do one of their new customer deals but likely wouldn't include produce in my order.
I haven't explored it yet but I'm betting that now they own Whole Foods and have a much better distribution for groceries, Amazon won't charge much for shipping on groceries or it will have a similar structure to prime. One where you pay a flat fee per year and get quick and free delivery for WF groceries.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:31 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I haven't explored it yet but I'm betting that now they own Whole Foods and have a much better distribution for groceries, Amazon won't charge much for shipping on groceries or it will have a similar structure to prime. One where you pay a flat fee per year and get quick and free delivery for WF groceries.
I'd look into it if that were the case. I'm a Prime member, so if that was included in my Prime benefits, cool. Still won't significantly change my shopping habits, though.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:30 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Went to WF last night (figured there wouldn't be many people because of the rain) and was partially right. Spent a little over $47.00. Saved a little more than last time, but not much. About $3.00. Not exactly earth shattering since if such things weren't on sale, wouldn't have bought them. Will likely go back in a few days, since they are *still* out of the GMO-free olive oil I want and had no organic tomatoes from Hepworth farms, other than ones that were in small open crates, which were covered in gnats.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:53 AM

782 posts, read 859,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Unfortunately not. Am big on beer mainly Belgian Ales and German Weißbier and drink a lot of Duvel, Chimay Blue, Rochefort 10, Piraat, Gulden Draak, Scaldis and a host of others, and if anything, the prices have continued to go up. Used to visit Houston Street a lot because they had a separate beer section at that WF, but the last time I went back in August, they replaced it with that coffee shop, and I don't care for WF's coffee at all. Smells worse than Starbucks. Find that Columbus Circle has the best selection, but it's difficult to get the Belgian imports anywhere at a reasonable price. Even tried a location on the UES last summer and found the prices to be a ripoff, but was impressed with the selection. Some like Rochefort 10 are only sold in singles because it is cost prohibitive, and Scaldis and Gulden Draak I tend to get as treats, as they aren't that easy to find. Frequent a bar that carries Chimay Blue and always sets me back $14.00 for the small one.

Delirium Tremens... will drink if the menu doesn't have any of my regulars. Not a huge fan of it overall.
My local costco actually sells Duvel...The 25 ounce large bottle..$9.99. Best deal in town. I grab 4 every trip.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
My local costco actually sells Duvel...The 25 ounce large bottle..$9.99. Best deal in town. I grab 4 every trip.
Wow! Where is this?!?? Think the cheapest I see it is maybe $12.99 or so at Whole Foods. Being a Belgian import, the price keeps going *up up up*. Also need my Duvel tulip glass. Have broken two of them now that I got with the beer.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:03 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
Costco in 5 Towns does not have a designated beer/wine/liquor section (they only sell beers by the case and some type of sangria), so allow me to briefly hate on you.

Kirkland Beer is actually really good, for the price.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-07-2017, 02:04 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Wow! Where is this?!?? Think the cheapest I see it is maybe $12.99 or so at Whole Foods. Being a Belgian import, the price keeps going *up up up*. Also need my Duvel tulip glass. Have broken two of them now that I got with the beer.
Seeing as that poster's location is Brooklyn, I'm guessing the Sunset Park Costco?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-07-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Seeing as that poster's location is Brooklyn, I'm guessing the Sunset Park Costco?
With the ferry terminal being close by, may make a trip over there. Wouldn't be the first time I went on a search for Duvel. When *Duvel Green* came out, stalked various bars for the thing until I found one that carried it.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:03 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I think the whole concept of Whole Foods in NYC is terrible because there are tons of Asian grocers around that offer much cheaper prices for produce and WF simply puts on a cleaner look while charging a premium for produce. You can't verify if WF really sells organic or not, unless I grow it myself. Many large asian grocers out class WF in terms of size and variety of produce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City