Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 06:21 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Shake Shack will always be the king NYC chain. Even pierrepont agrees.
Am in disagreement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 06:21 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
You can argue Nathan's actually has more reach currently and perhaps name recognition, though not in terms of quality.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:52 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,392 times
Nathan's fries are better than Shake Shack because they cook them till they're brown and crisp. YYMV

Old 09-05-2017, 06:53 PM

991 posts, read 1,769,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Little Collins is also Australian and only has one store at the moment. Really *love* how their baristas prepare coffee. They actually know what a double macchiato *dry* is unlike most places here.
They have a small outpost in the GM building which interestingly is behind the security gate.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:56 PM

991 posts, read 1,769,921 times
Quote:
Magnolia I think tops Shake Shack!!

Actually to add to the list:

Magnolia Bakery
Buttercup Bakery
Zaro's Bakery

At the really high end do you count the Daniel Boulud, David Bouley and Jean George "chains"?

On the Asian side:

Fay Da Bakery
Taipan Bakery
Naruto Ramen
Totto's
Nonya

Old 09-05-2017, 07:00 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Magnolia I think tops Shake Shack!!

Actually to add to the list:

Magnolia Bakery
Buttercup Bakery
Zaro's Bakery

At the really high end do you count the Daniel Boulud, David Bouley and Jean George "chains"?

On the Asian side:

Fay Da Bakery
Taipan Bakery
Naruto Ramen
Totto's
Nonya
In the next round at the end of the week, I'll put more in, but currently I'd say that the star chef restaurants mostly don't count because they're basically launching new restaurants for most of what they do unless they group them specifically together. In your Asian side of things, Totto's won't count because it's a different kind of restaurant for each, same as with why Blue Ribbon, though in a different price bracket, isn't counted. I will add that I freaking love Nyonya though the Chinatown location is obviously better and more consistent than the BK ones.

I'll also add that Golden Krust is probably the potentially brightest spot among the chains, because West Indian baked goods and meals as a whole can be amazing. However, their quality control among different branches is basically nonexistent. There are ones that seem perfectly fine as a quick, delicious and inexpensive meal, but then there are many that look and feel like rat traps. If Golden Krust were ever able to get themselves together enough, I can see it being a national or international chain.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:21 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I thought Panda Express was a West Coast thing?
Well they're here. In multiple locations in the city. Coming to the UWS soon

Old 09-06-2017, 12:27 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Golden Krust. Not sure if they are in other cities.
Yes they are in other states. Golden Krust sucks though. I can cook my own got damn jerk chicken...

Old 09-06-2017, 05:43 AM

782 posts, read 527,280 times
If the definition of a chain is more than one location, then there are a ton. Especially with the recent food court/food hall trend and all the coffee and salad places expanding. And all the kiosks in public parks/spaces. Heck, even oldies like Di fara and Katz's are opening up stands in new food halls. Personally I don't define 2-3 locations as a chain.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:36 AM

782 posts, read 858,994 times
Artichoke Basille's Pizza - True NY Chain.... 3 locations in Manhattan, 4 in Brookyn and 2 or 3 in Queens. It started in Staten Island I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City