Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 11:49 AM

67 posts, read 467,377 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to New York, how is Rosedale Queens area? I saw an ad on Craigslist, but I'm not familiar with the area and would appreciate some feedback....anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 12:16 PM

395 posts, read 486,679 times
What kinda of race r u? That area is predominately african/carribbean american.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc View Post
What kinda of race r u? That area is predominately african/carribbean american.
I'm white....Thanks!

Old 03-15-2008, 03:09 PM

395 posts, read 486,679 times
Don't bother rosedale. With the commute to manhattan by bus and subway. It wil be 90+ min.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:10 PM

33,322 posts, read 46,766,348 times
rosedale is a decent neighborhood working class atmosphere. it is mostly black west indians living there. it used to be mostly white until the '80s, there's still some white people living in the back of rosedale near the long island border, and in the southern part of rosedale by craft avenue and 259th street. its really not a bad neighborhood in terms of crime, it has gotten worse over the years, but its still below average. the worst part of rosedale i would say is 243rd street, they call it "the town" because that's rosedale's main commercial strip and its only bad because a lot of kids hang out around there but thats what kids do. there are gang members (crips), but they're wannabe's, not anything hardcore.

so rosedale is a nice neighborhood, almost suburban in look and feel. the downside to rosedale is public transportation. you have to take a bus or dollar van to jamaica for the subway. of you may be luckier if you live close to the lirr, rosedale has an lirr stop. the other downside is that the southern part of rosedale is swamp land, so flooding is frequent especially in bad storms. so if u get a basement apartment in that area, you gotta be careful.

my 2 cents

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-15-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Don't bother rosedale. With the commute to manhattan by bus and subway. It wil be 90+ min.

i'm not racist by no means...i'm from Chicago...luv my black peeps!, but i def like to know what i'm getting myself into and i would prefer to live somewhere that is not predominately one race only.. and closer to Manhattan....4 sure...i appreciate your help vincentnyc...

Old 03-15-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
rosedale is a decent neighborhood working class atmosphere. it is mostly black west indians living there. it used to be mostly white until the '80s, there's still some white people living in the back of rosedale near the long island border, and in the southern part of rosedale by craft avenue and 259th street. its really not a bad neighborhood in terms of crime, it has gotten worse over the years, but its still below average. the worst part of rosedale i would say is 243rd street, they call it "the town" because that's rosedale's main commercial strip and its only bad because a lot of kids hang out around there but thats what kids do. there are gang members (crips), but they're wannabe's, not anything hardcore.

so rosedale is a nice neighborhood, almost suburban in look and feel. the downside to rosedale is public transportation. you have to take a bus or dollar van to jamaica for the subway. of you may be luckier if you live close to the lirr, rosedale has an lirr stop. the other downside is that the southern part of rosedale is swamp land, so flooding is frequent especially in bad storms. so if u get a basement apartment in that area, you gotta be careful.

my 2 cents
i'm not racist by no means...i'm from Chicago...luv my black peeps!, but i def like to know what i'm getting myself into and i would prefer to live somewhere that is not predominately one race only.. and closer to Manhattan....4 sure...i appreciate your help TOO!

Old 03-15-2008, 05:14 PM

893 posts, read 2,850,991 times
I'm currently spending the weekend at my dads house in Springfield Gardens. Which is basically the same thing as rosedale. I dont know how comfterable you would be being white in a predominate white neighborhood.

Heck, I'm black and dont feel that comfterable but thats just because im from Long Island. Haha.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymel View Post
I'm currently spending the weekend at my dads house in Springfield Gardens. Which is basically the same thing as rosedale. I dont know how comfterable you would be being white in a predominate white neighborhood.

Heck, I'm black and dont feel that comfterable but thats just because im from Long Island. Haha.

I could live in an all white neighborhood, I'm white i'd b very comfortable, as you would, i'm sure be comfortable in an all black neighborhood. I just prefer being in a diverse neighborhood, but not the minority in the neighborhood.

as far as the long island thing...I don't get your joke?

Old 03-15-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
i want to ask you a question...if you don't mind here...ur like my go-to-guy for questions about New York....

i'm apt hunting and i found another ad on Craigslist..this one is in Brooklyn...on Bushwick Avenue...1282 Bushwick Avenue...is this a safe area?

I'm looking for something close to downtown/midtown Manhattan....is this decent area and close to that? any feedback would help me out...AGAIN!...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City